Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who else just installed windows 7 ? First Impressions

• 23-10-2009 10:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭

Just did a fresh install from vista 64 to 7 64 .
    Must say it was totally problem free , feels nice to use so far so good very impressed.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

I installed 7 Ultimate over Vista Ultimate a couple of weeks back and so far no problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Just getting drivers for a creative sound card , hope they work ok!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭DevilsBreath

Should work fine i have an audigy 2 in mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

Run Windows Update, it finds 95% of required drivers in my experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭spartacus93

No problems here, running 7 32 for the moment.

Didn't have the time to do a fresh install, hopefully I'll get a chance over the next week or so to run the 64 bit version.

Picked up all my drivers automatically, but I may have more trouble with the 64 bit version.

• Advertisement

Well creative are pretty on the ball with drivers this time around worked no problem . Just Getting all programs i need now like ATI Catalyst and vlc player .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Installed Ultimate last week in place of XP and found it very smooth and it all worked very easy out of the box. The only slught work-around I had to do was with my Belkin wireless USB adapter which Belkin conveniently didn't supply 7 drivers for. Windows fixed it for me though, after some cajoling.

As a Mac head this is a surprise release from MS. Good job all 'round, and a noticable performance boost over XP, particularly in games (crysis runs smooth as butter now)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭phill106

running windows 7 ultimate 64 bit perfectly on a hp dv6799ea. Loving it. Now how do i get this internet tv working in windows media centre :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Installed it a few weeks ago. Infinitely better than Vista Home Premium. Went with Ultimate edition, think the different versions are a mistake TBH.

Its much more responsive and loads faster than Vista and I just did an upgrade.

Installed Ultimate 64bit last week, no problems at all thus far, very user friendly system, very quick install and it installed all the drivers. I was running the 7100 build before it and had no issues with that either which surprised me.

By far the best system Microsoft have released to date.

• Advertisement

hellboy99 wrote: »
    Installed Ultimate 64bit last week, no problems at all thus far, very user friendly system, very quick install and it installed all the drivers. I was running the 7100 build before it and had no issues with that either which surprised me.

By far the best system Microsoft have released to date.

Its kind of sad that this has to be stated at all as each OS release should be an improvement. We should never be going backwards like Vista was :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

I have a laptop (2.5 years old) running XP media edition with 1Gb RAM, would it be worth my time installing Windows 7 on that or should I just wait until I upgrade my laptop (in about 2 years time:( )

thebman wrote: »
    We should never be going backwards like Vista was :(
    You said it, Vista for me was a nightmare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Its kind of sad that this has to be stated at all as each OS release should be an improvement. We should never be going backwards like Vista was :(
    Actually Vista was not a bad operating system but the public perception of it was bad from the start. I knew so many people out there who criticised Vista until they started using it after which nearly all said they liked the enhancements.

There was so many people giving out about the UAC when in fact it is a great idea to bring in. People just don't like being disturbed but the problem is that in order to have a secure system you have to be disturbed. The option was there to turn it off if they didn't want it.

Alot of the problems with Vista were with badly written 3rd party drivers. Vista has much better error and driver handling than XP but because XP is much more mature it naturally had better drivers written for it.

I have vista home premium on my laptop and in the next week or two I will be putting Windows 7 premium on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Well put axer.
    The way some people go on about Vista, you'd swear that it was the modern equivalent of Windows ME!
    Vista was a fine OS, and Windows 7 is a very nice improvement on it...

I've been happily using Windows 7 since March and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anybody

I happily used vista 64 the last 3 years the only time i ever got hassle was with badly written 3rd party drivers .
    One thing nobody can take from vista was that it was a huge step up from xp in terms of security ..
    xp i had many nights of sorting malware and virus problems , vista caught any issue straight away and sorted it thats a big plus for me

axer wrote: »
    Actually Vista was not a bad operating system but the public perception of it was bad from the start. I knew so many people out there who criticised Vista until they started using it after which nearly all said they liked the enhancements.

There was so many people giving out about the UAC when in fact it is a great idea to bring in. People just don't like being disturbed but the problem is that in order to have a secure system you have to be disturbed. The option was there to turn it off if they didn't want it.

Alot of the problems with Vista were with badly written 3rd party drivers. Vista has much better error and driver handling than XP but because XP is much more mature it naturally had better drivers written for it.

I have vista home premium on my laptop and in the next week or two I will be putting Windows 7 premium on it.

Vista was fine for me at the start and then went down the crapper TBH.

First thing I did was disable UAC because I don't need it. One thing that was being said about Vista Pre SP1 was that SP1 was going to make copying and pasting faster and closer to XP speed. That says it all really IMO. It was just sluggish and unresponsive compared to 7 or XP.

It also had weird things happening such as when I ran Steam and was flicking between apps, it would stop the OS registering any mouse clicks until I end tasked explorer and started it again.

You can say that is probably an bug in Steam but it doesn't occur in 7 or XP with Steam so it seems more likely to be a Vista bug. I never had driver problems with Vista but my computer was built for it so you wouldn't expect to.

First thing I did was disable UAC because I don't need it.
    What makes you think you don't need it?

What makes you think you don't need it?

I only use my computer for Internet and games. I use Opera browser and only go to a few sites that I regularly use and don't have anything dodgy. I have a filterset to block ads from advertisers in case they try to do something dodgy in an ad (have seen this happening).

I get my games from Steam which is a reputable source.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭batman2000

I agree with axer...Vista was not all that bad, especially when compared for MS ME.!

I have just installed W7 HP 64 over Vista HP 32bit. Did a clean install, no problems took about at 2hrs. W7 found nearly all drivers.

Just installing the additional programs.

• Advertisement

Vista may not have been bad but compartively it was a step back from XP SP3 for many people as it took up way more resources to do what most would percieve to be little to no extra work.

Also they tried to make everything friendly in control panel (this is in 7 too) so you have to go through all these friendly menus only to end up being provided with the relevant dialog of the XP system that you would have gotten to in about 5 clicks in XP. I mean if your going to try to make it user friendly you should swap out the XP menus and keep everything consistent and use the control panel window to configure everything but advanced settings like it is for battery settings.

I only use my computer for Internet and games. I use Opera browser and only go to a few sites that I regularly use and don't have anything dodgy. I have a filterset to block ads from advertisers in case they try to do something dodgy in an ad (have seen this happening).
    Epic Fail! The highlighted part is the reason UAC was brought in. Do you not understand that *any* website can be compromised with code to download and install unauthorised software unknown to the owners of the website? Once your machine is connected to the internet or a network you are vulnerable to unauthorised installs - not to mind other removable storage.
    Vista may not have been bad but compartively it was a step back from XP SP3 for many people as it took up way more resources to do what most would percieve to be little to no extra work.
    It provided many extra functionality in the background that you did not notice like better error handling, better built in firewall, better protection from malware.
    Also they tried to make everything friendly in control panel (this is in 7 too) so you have to go through all these friendly menus only to end up being provided with the relevant dialog of the XP system that you would have gotten to in about 5 clicks in XP.
    It takes one click to enable classic control panel. I actually think the logic of the vista control panel in non-classic mode is pretty good - definitely much better than the way XP had non-classic mode - now that was a disaster.
    I mean if your going to try to make it user friendly you should swap out the XP menus and keep everything consistent and use the control panel window to configure everything but advanced settings like it is for battery settings.
    I have no idea what you are saying here. What does "you should swap out the XP menus" mean?

Epic Fail! The highlighted part is the reason UAC was brought in. Do you not understand that *any* website can be compromised with code to download and install unauthorised software unknown to the owners of the website? Once your machine is connected to the internet or a network you are vulnerable to unauthorised installs - not to mind other removable storage.

loike OMG the suxor, not epic fail. I have an anti-virus and a browser that will not allow many of the common exploits found in Internet Explorer with anti-spyware and will not download software without asking me. UAC is asking me everytime for an event that may occur one in a million times I go to a website but I have to put up with it constantly annoying me to save from something that might annoy me one in a million times. The feature of UAC with its constant pop ups is a virus in itself.

Anyway how many open exploits are there for the Opera web browser exactly?

I ran Vista without UAC since I bought my laptop which is over a year ago now and XP didn't have it and I never had a single piece of adware/spyware/virus on either laptop I've run.
    It provided many extra functionality in the background that you did not notice like better error handling, better built in firewall, better protection from malware.

Well 7 has these features? Why does it run better, couldn't be better optimised code could it? Maybe Vista was just rushed out the door.
    It takes one click to enable classic control panel. I actually think the logic of the vista control panel in non-classic mode is pretty good - definitely much better than the way XP had non-classic mode - now that was a disaster.

I have no idea what you are saying here. What does "you should swap out the XP menus" mean?

I'm not talking about the initial control panel menu. I'm talking about the entire logic of how it operates after this. You click the option you want and the control panel window changes to give you some basic options or give you a list of things you can do. Then you click again and a new window appears showing an XP window list of features.

They should have standardized it, they went half way and completed in some cases (on XP in work now so can't get examples) leading to inconsistency in how the interface operates when trying to change settings in control panel.

I presume you worked on the project of Vista because TBH, your unnaturally defensive about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

I've always and will always disable UAC.

Your hypothesis is verging on scaremongering.

What difference does a prompt make? The user has to initiate the installation, and if they believe it is what they think it is, then they will click Yes to the UAC prompt and continue with the install.

UAC doesn't protect you from anything.

Just on a side note, aside from resource hogging (which is a fairly major issue for an OS), Vista is a sub-par operating system. From the overly verbose and confusing prompts to the idiotic layout/structuring which places options in hard to find places. It's just frustrating to use.

Anyway how many open exploits are there for the Opera web browser exactly?
    Maybe you should look here:
    http://www.securityfocus.com/swsearch?sbm=%2F&metaname=alldoc&query=opera&x=0&y=0

No browser is 100% secure.
    Well 7 has these features? Why does it run better, couldn't be better optimised code could it? Maybe Vista was just rushed out the door.
    Windows 7 is based on vista and naturally the code would be refined and optimised for Windows 7. It seems to me that MS abandoned Vista because it got such an initial negative response with many people just following what the "experts" thought like sheep i.e. those that said Vista was crap without even trying it out just because they heard it from someone - this was widespread.
    I'm not talking about the initial control panel menu. I'm talking about the entire logic of how it operates after this. You click the option you want and the control panel window changes to give you some basic options or give you a list of things you can do. Then you click again and a new window appears showing an XP window list of features.
    As far as I know the basic settings are included as part of the main window and more advanced settings bring up a separate window.
    I presume you worked on the project of Vista because TBH, your unnaturally defensive about it.
    Yes, my name is Bill Gates. I am just sick of people unnaturally making up crap about Vista e.g. UAC - if you don't want it then disable it, it should not be considered a negative of vista since it adds an extra layer of security - it is a positive. If you go on any flavour of *nix, for example (since they are seen as being more secure than MS OSes, you will see that you need to be logged on with the root account to do many admin tasks. If you made your account part of the admin group in vista you would *not* be asked via UAC to approve of setting changes. It is a simple secure mechanism used by other more secure OSes.

Maybe you should look here:
    http://www.securityfocus.com/swsearch?sbm=%2F&metaname=alldoc&query=opera&x=0&y=0

No browser is 100% secure.

Never said it was, just wondering how many serious exploits I'd have to worry about. Can't browse that at work. I'm guessing a fraction of whats out there for other browsers though since opera has about 1% marketshare. Never the less I never encountered a problem going to the sites I usually go to so barring they get hacked and the person happens to put something on their site that can effect Opera, I should be pretty damn safe still with my anti-virus and anti-malware solution without constant annoying prompts coming up.
    Windows 7 is based on vista and naturally the code would be refined and optimised for Windows 7. It seems to me that MS abandoned Vista because it got such an initial negative response with many people just following what the "experts" thought like sheep i.e. those that said Vista was crap without even trying it out just because they heard it from someone - this was widespread.

Yeah I was quite happy with at first after turning off UAC but over time I just ran into things that annoyed more and more.
    As far as I know the basic settings are included as part of the main window and more advanced settings bring up a separate window.

Yeah some of those settings are pretty basic like mouse cursor theme or windows sounds (if I remember correctly). Those aren't exactly advanced settings.
    Yes, my name is Bill Gates. I am just sick of people unnaturally making up crap about Vista e.g. UAC - if you don't want it then disable it, it should not be considered a negative of vista since it adds an extra layer of security - it is a positive. If you go on any flavour of *nix, for example (since they are seen as being more secure than MS OSes, you will see that you need to be logged on with the root account to do many admin tasks. If you made your account part of the admin group in vista you would *not* be asked via UAC to approve of setting changes. It is a simple secure mechanism used by other more secure OSes.

I have Kubuntu on the same machine, I gave UAC a chance for about an hour or so but I was getting prompts to do anything and had to turn it off. In Kubuntu I only get them when launching something like the package manager. I don't use Kubuntu much though because it can't run my games :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Just finished my install of Windows 7 Professional, 32 bit.

So far, it feels light and fast. I like it, a lot.

Now, I just have to go reinstall all my apps and such.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,157 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Did an upgrade from Vista professional to 7 professional 32 bit. Shuts down a lot quicker, haven't noticed much else different in terms of performance. Probably should have done a fresh install but I wasn't that arsed. Maybe later.

Have to say I never had a problem with Vista (aside from issues with printing wirelessly). If it wasn't for the huge amount of bad press it received then I wouldn't have had a clue it was supposedly a bad OS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

I have a laptop (2.5 years old) running XP media edition with 1Gb RAM, would it be worth my time installing Windows 7 on that or should I just wait until I upgrade my laptop (in about 2 years time:( )

Microsoft will still support XP, I wouldn't bother unless you see a specific advantage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

mods....
    Thread should be renamed "what is your opinion on vista"

Advertisement