Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who else just installed windows 7 ? First Impressions

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Rej

Which version of VISTA do you have ?
    Business versions allow downground rights to XP, so zero cost

Programs that don't work with VISTA probably won't work with Windows 7 , yes there is an XP compatiblity mode in windows 7 but it's not as compatible as XP

But in any event the first port of call is the vendors website, check if the apps are supproted on windows 7 , have you installed any patches for them etc. ?

I have vista home premium, but seen as I work in a university I reckon Ill be able to get XP without much trouble.

My research involves computer vision, so I am using some c++ libraries such as OpenCV & Boost etc.. within Microsoft Visual Studio 2008. Some of the libs are highly dependent and linked to particular versions etc - so are messy to set up at the best of times :( I have it all set up on my desktop machine which runs XP.

I have spent the past number of days trawling the internet looking for solutions to the issues, but am not having much success... as you mention, if im having probs with vista, ill prob encounter these same problems with win 7.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

From a quick google it seems they all work with Vista once you have the right version of the libraries. But you'd have the same issue with Windows 7. You need to find the right libraries.

BostonB wrote: »
    From a quick google it seems they all work with Vista once you have the right version of the libraries. But you'd have the same issue with Windows 7. You need to find the right libraries.

I suppose I should be more specific on the problems that I am getting.

The main problem I'm getting relates specifically to microsoft visual studio 2008, and its c/c++ compiler. MSVCR90.dll.
    When i launch the app in debug I get a runtime error message where its looking for this dll. The dll is on the pc, in a sub directory of C:\Windows\winsxs.

I've tried all the usual solutions where i copy it our of there and put it into the system32 dir - but this just causes other issues.

Im not sure if the problem is MSVC2008 itself, or the combination of it and the libs.

TBH I stuck with a XP dev machine as I didn't have time to troubleshoot it on Vista or Windows 7. I out Vista and Windows 7 on a different laptop entirely. So I can't help you with that one.

TBH I stuck with a XP dev machine as I didn't have time to troubleshoot it on Vista or Windows 7. I out Vista and Windows 7 on a different laptop entirely. So I can't help you with that one.

I have to agree with you there. Have already wasted too much time trying to sort out this problem.

After this messing about im in two minds about swapping over to Linux altogether. Might go for a dual boot XP/Ubuntu

• Advertisement

I've never found linux to be a time saver myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Rej wrote: »
    The main problem I'm getting relates specifically to microsoft visual studio 2008, and its c/c++ compiler. MSVCR90.dll.
    When i launch the app in debug I get a runtime error message where its looking for this dll. The dll is on the pc, in a sub directory of C:\Windows\winsxs.

I've seen that before. I think it's something stupid like a linker error but i can't remember exactly, sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Rej wrote: »
    I suppose I should be more specific on the problems that I am getting.

I've tried all the usual solutions where i copy it our of there and put it into the system32 dir - but this just causes other issues.

Im not sure if the problem is MSVC2008 itself, or the combination of it and the libs.

Try this post - it may be of use.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=62689853&postcount=8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭Tillotson

you move the folders in the user folder
    i.e. C:\Users\<Username>\*

and it works fine.

Not exactly, after moving My Documents the recommended way many programs make a duplicate My Documents folder on the C:\ drive.

The most comprehensive way I've found is to move each profile and then to make ntfs junction points from C:\Users\Name to E:\Name. I don't know if this works for the whole C:\User directory.

I know windows is trying to be as simple as possible but would it not be possible to have an advanced tab during installation with a few extra options?

Is this not the function of libraries?

• Advertisement

Is this not the function of libraries?

The way I understand libraries is that you can add a few folders together to make one meta folder, eg: My Music.

This is grand for reading data, but when you want to save something to disk you'll still have to specify the particular directory.

Also, only programs which seem to make any use of libraries so far are Explorer and Media Player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Tillotson wrote: »
    The way I understand libraries is that you can add a few folders together to make one meta folder, eg: My Music.

This is grand for reading data, but when you want to save something to disk you'll still have to specify the particular directory.

Also, only programs which seem to make any use of libraries so far are Explorer and Media Player.

Libraries show up in the save dialog by default so it will enable easy access to that location.

I'm still in the habit of keeping user data and application data separate. In case of a disaster you can just do a clean reinstall. Libraries aren't really the solution.

Not to be trollish but this is something which is trivial on Linux and Mac.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 CiaranIRL

If I buy Windows 7 in the USA, will it work on my PC here? (total techie nerd here...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

CiaranIRL wrote: »
    If I buy Windows 7 in the USA, will it work on my PC here? (total techie nerd here...)

Why would it not work?
    All you are really paying for is the serial anyway.

I'm still in the habit of keeping user data and application data separate. In case of a disaster you can just do a clean reinstall. Libraries aren't really the solution.

The registry in particular is an absolute disaster imo.

It's nice being able to just mount a /home partition with all your
    apps ready to run after a freash install. I could never do this on Windows XP.

Why they don't adhere to plaintext configuration files that can be
    parsed as required is beyond me. Scary binary mess the registry is...

Trival on Windows too. Just save it somewhere else, different parition or drive etc. Even if you decide to use the my documents folder, it should all be backed up anyway. So someone could rob the machine and you'll still have your data.

Trival on Windows too. Just save it somewhere else, different parition or drive etc. Even if you decide to use the my documents folder, it should all be backed up anyway. So someone could rob the machine and you'll still have your data.

You still need a registry entry corresponding to each individual application stored
    on the removable drive. Unless all of your software is small statically compiled exe's.

I was really only thinking of User data, as the original point was talking about moving C;/Users to a different parition. I was assuming the point of that was have more space for user data, seperated from the OS, and if reinstalling Windows, user data wouldn't be effected.

I didn't think the application data in there was useful on windows, so didn't consider it. Is it? I take the point that on other OS'es it is useful.

Personally if there is application data that is useful, and not in the registry, like a Config or ini, or perhaps a data file in there, it would be in my backup script to copy this to my backup location. Bit clunky admittedly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I was really only thinking of User data, as the original point was talking about moving C;/Users to a different parition. I was assuming the point of that was have more space for user data, seperated from the OS, and if reinstalling Windows, user data wouldn't be effected.

I didn't think the application data in there was useful on windows, so didn't consider it. Is it? I take the point that on other OS'es it is useful.

Personally if there is application data that is useful, and not in the registry, like a Config or ini, or perhaps a data file in there, it would be in my backup script to copy this to my backup location. Bit clunky admittedly.

lots of program settings in application data and personal data like outlook mail file or Opera mail file or probably most mail apps storage location is in app data.

The problem is most apps don't use the environment variables specified for these locations. Of course they can be deleted or unknown to programmers since the documentation is lacking IMO but I think many applications wouldn't adhere to the standard if you could specify the location on a separate partition and just manually specify the full path since the vast majority of people will just have the defaults.

• Advertisement

Email files can be relocated. I thought the issue was data that can't be relocated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

I installed Windows 7 on my Dell inspiron 8600 which is six years old last night. I upgraded from XP so had to backup data and do a clean install. It took about an hour to install. The only problem I had was finding updated drivers for my graphics card. I eventually found it and I was able to use aero.
    So far I am very impressed. It runs very smoothly and all programs are running fine.

Specs.
    Intel Pentium-M 1.5Ghz
    2GB RAM
    Nvidia GeForce Go5650 128MB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Gonna ask a noob question, thinking of going to Windows 7 64 bit, any driver issues and games dowloaded via steam still work etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 mazerooni

Have 64 bit Windows 7 on new Toshiba laptop. Really liking it so far but the only issue I have is that ripping CDs takes a lot longer than it used to when I had XP. I have tried changing the quality, format etc but nothing makes it faster. Any ideas if this general problem with Windows Media player 12 on windows 7 or could it be something I'm doing wrong? A few CDs of mine won't play properly aswell ,keep hearing crackling noise over the music.

Dempsey wrote: »
    Gonna ask a noob question, thinking of going to Windows 7 64 bit, any driver issues and games dowloaded via steam still work etc

Steam working fine for me (Left 4 dead et al working fine) and no driver issues (so far :eek:)

Advertisement