Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quiting Smoking

Options
  • 23-10-2009 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Im about to begin my long journey of trying to give up the smokes...

Anyone out there have any tips that dont envolve staying out of the pub for 6weeks.

Gona give it a real go so would appreciate some good solid advise.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭silvo

Try not to think about it as a 'long journey' or 'trying to give up'. Think that you WILL give up. It wont be a long journey. You might feel a bit crap for the first couple of weeks, but after that you will wonder why you ever wasted so much of your life smoking.

Think about how happy you will be without the smokes, not having to go outside to smoke in the rain, not having to smell horrible, not being broke, not feeling ****e in the mornings coughing up a lung, and a million and one other things that smoking makes you feel bad.

One tip is to buy lots of apples. When you want to smoke, eat an apple. I found it helped. Or mandarins, the peeling of the mandarin takes time and makes you use your hands.

Good luck - and as Disney might say <corny> 'If you believe in yourself, you can achieve anything' /<corny>

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭The Don 1985

Thanks for the advise...never heard that before about the fruit,good idea and worth a shot.Really need to kick this habit...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

Good luck Don.

My tips are;

Get through the first 72 hours to reach the end of physical discomfort. Do not stop reminding yourself that you hated being a smoker so thats why you are stopping. Do not doubt yourself. Be resolute and get through 3 days and 3 nights. The physical withdrawal will stop. The rest then becomes easy because its now psychological only.

Pick a stop day that you wouldn't usually go to the pub.
    Monday maybe. Not Saturday night.

Buy about 6 litres of grapefruit juice before you start. The ALDI stuff is the best as its squeezed not from concentrate. It tastes good too. This busts pangs and tops up declining blood sugar levels. Its the falling blood sugar that makes you feel light headed.

Keep a grid with 72 squares in your pocket. Fill in a square every hour that passes.
    Fill in 8 when you wake up in the morning. Your time will be distorted when stopping. This will help and keep the goal in focus. The grid will fill quickly and you will be seriously elated when you get there. No more gumming.

Eat three proper meals each day and look forward to them. Do not snack between meals. Grapefruit juice, fruit, vegetables or water only. Do not overeat. Avoid excess carbs. This will tire you and drop your resistance.

Go to bed early for the first three days. Gets you to hour 72 with less waking hours of withdrawal. The withdrawal doesn't differentiate so you might as well sleep through it.

Use a placebo. I sucked half a biro tube filled with tissue paper. Actually got to like it. Important thing, actually the only thing, is to keep nicotine out of your system. You must achieve this 100%. Nothing less. A dummy helps with the hand to mouth association. So what if you're tricking yourself. There's no nicotine going in.

These things worked for me.

Hope it helps.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 17,439 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Pal wrote: »
    Good luck Don.

My tips are;

Get through the first 72 hours to reach the end of physical discomfort. Do not stop reminding yourself that you hated being a smoker so thats why you are stopping. Do not doubt yourself. Be resolute and get through 3 days and 3 nights. The rest then becomes easy.

Buy about 6 litres of grapefruit juice before you start. The ALDI stuff is the best as its squeezed not from concentrate. It tastes good too. This busts pangs and tops up declining blood sugar levels.

Keep a grid with 72 squares in your pocket. Fill in a square every hour that passes.
    Fill in 8 when you wake up in the morning. Your time will be distorted when stopping. This will help and keep the goal in focus. The grid will fill quickly and you will be seriously elated when you get there. No more gumming.

Use a placebo. I sucked half a biro tube stuffed with tissue paper for months. Actually got to like it. Impoertant thing is to keep nicotine out of your system. A dummy helps with the hand to mouth association.

These things, along with a big dose of Allen Carr logic, worked for me.
    I have not regretted it. Being a non smoker is much more enjoyable than being a smoker.
    I never thought I would say that but it is true.
    You just have to get there to see.
    Hope it helps.

Good luck

holy fúck...thank christ I just paid the hynotist to get me off them :D
    None of the stuff to deal with. :D

Berkut wrote: »
    holy fúck...thank christ I just paid the hynotist to get me off them :D
    None of the stuff to deal with. :D

LOL

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the advise dudes...

Will try to follow a few of your methods Pal prob no all to be honest!!!

The biggest craving that I find is after about my 3rd or 4th pint...any hints to over come that craving??I was off then before for 12months about 7 years back but harder this time..i found the pub hard that time too but once I was in a night club I had no cravings at all...

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭marvin_spazz

u obviously didnt try the apple thing........u wouldnt look odd at all carrying a bag of apples around with u. someone may call the guards though if u are hanging around eating apples in public.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Simi

Pal wrote: »
    Good luck Don.

My tips are;

Get through the first 72 hours to reach the end of physical discomfort. Do not stop reminding yourself that you hated being a smoker so thats why you are stopping. Do not doubt yourself. Be resolute and get through 3 days and 3 nights. The physical withdrawal will stop. The rest then becomes easy because its now psychological only.

Buy about 6 litres of grapefruit juice before you start. The ALDI stuff is the best as its squeezed not from concentrate. It tastes good too. This busts pangs and tops up declining blood sugar levels. Its the falling blood sugar that makes you feel light headed.

Eat three proper meals each day and look forward to them. Do not snack between meals. Grapefruit juice, fruit, vegetables or water only. Do not overeat. Avoid excess carbs. This will tire you and drop your resistance.

Go to bed early for the first three days. Gets you to hour 72 with less waking hours of withdrawal. The withdrawal doesn't differentiate so you might as well sleep through it.

Use a placebo. I sucked half a biro tube filled with tissue paper. Actually got to like it. Important thing, actually the only thing, is to keep nicotine out of your system. You must achieve this 100%. Nothing less. A dummy helps with the hand to mouth association. So what if you're tricking yourself. There's no nicotine going in.

These things worked for me.

Hope it helps.

Good luck

**** me! If u want to quit just stop smoking. Forget books, hypnosis, biros stuffed with tissue paper!? (seriously?) If you want to quit smoking all you really need is will power. Yes it's harder without the patches and/or gimmicks. but you can do it if you really want to.

A big bag of granny smiths have been purchased...

Might even bring a half dozen out with me tonight!!!

Simi wrote: »
    **** me! If u want to quit just stop smoking. Forget books, hypnosis, biros stuffed with tissue paper!? (seriously?) If you want to quit smoking all you really need is will power. Yes it's harder without the patches and/or gimmicks. but you can do it if you really want to.

will power alone usually doesn't work.

The OP asked for tips.

He is being sensible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭ChillyJilly

Actually think there are some great tips on here. My quit day is marked as this Sunday. From now til then I am going to try and cut down, but Saturday night is a friend's birthday in her house (full of smokers) so I know I wont be able to then. So Sunday it is. Will have the mandarin's ready!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

For me I found that 4 pints was my limit.Ater that my will power went walk-about.

Also tried staying out of the pub completely but I then started getting cabin fever.

Basically what im sayin is dont get sh1tfaced,cos you will end up back on the feckers.

Best of luck anyway

EDIT:well dont get sh1t faced for a while anyway:)

Advertisement