Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

scriba's writing log from October 09

Options
  • 23-10-2009 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭

As the title suggests:

I find I'm not doing near enough reading in my spare time, so I thought that a log may focus the mind towards tackling an ever-increasing 'to-read' pile. I'm also going to try break my habit of rereading books that I love, at least until I clear my backlog! Except for short stories... :D

My last three books read over the last few months were:

Ken Follett - Pillars of the Earth (terrible).
    Geoffrey Willans - Molesworth (great)
    Max Brooks - World War Z (loved it)

I'm currently on about 100 pages into Ulysses by James Joyce. I'm really enjoying it so far; it helps that I understand the references a lot more than when I last attempted it in my mid-teens.

Next up, I have 'The Infinities' by John Banville. I'll approach this with some trepidation, considering I really didn't enjoy 'The Sea' at all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

Still reading Ulysses, but took a break on Sunday afternoon and Monday afternoon to read a borrowed book: 'Wasted - A sober journey through drunken Ireland by Brian O'Connell' - quite informative, good in places, and his easy going style didn't grate (too much). So that's another book finished. He makes some decent points, and definitely made me think about the reasons why have been so fond of the booze in certain periods of my past. Not too preachy either.

• #1 'Pillars of the Earth' - Ken Follett
    • #2 'Wasted - A sober journey through drunken Ireland' by Brian O'Connell

Some more titles to add to the list, quick reads over Christmas that were lying around at work:

#3. The Average American Male - Chad Kultgen
    #4. Adrian Mole: The Prostrate Years - Sue Townsend

Plus I've finished a collection of HP Lovecraft short stories I've been reading on and off since October.

#5 Necronomicon - HP Lovecraft.

Currently reading Ulysses (still) at a slow but enjoyable pace. Can't overload on it! Also reading a short collection of MR James horror stories.

#6 John Banville - The Infinities

Reading is going quite slow, not a lot of free time so far this year, but hopefully, some momentum can be established. If I reach 20-25 books read this year, I'll be very happy. Walk before running etc. :)

Next book to read will probably be G.K. Chesterton's 'The Man Who Was Thursday'.

#7 Rough Ride - Paul Kimmage

I don't usually read sports autobiographies, but I like Kimmage's journalism in the Tribune. Overall, an excellent read.

Currently I'm halfway through 2666.

Advertisement