Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats the best way to secure network...

Options
  • 23-10-2009 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭

Getting a broadband package from Eircom shortly, which will include their wireless router

Whats the best way to secure network...do I need to use a diff wireless protocol to whatever it is currently configured for

If I hardcode mac address or laptop into router is this effective

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

k123456 wrote: »
    Getting a broadband package from Eircom shortly, which will include their wireless router

Whats the best way to secure network...do I need to use a diff wireless protocol to whatever it is currently configured for

If I hardcode mac address or laptop into router is this effective
    The new Eircom routers are preconfigured with WPA2-PSK - which is perfectly secure.

Now some people are going to come along and disagree because WPA can be hacked (with great difficulty) but if someone has the knowledge to hack WPA easily... then trust me... they won't be out robbing your residential Broadband.

By the way, your WPA2 password will be on the base of your new router when it arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

Is it Wep which the one which is easily hacked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Some_Person

WEP is weakest, use WPA2 which is best.

Advertisement