Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No water upstairs

Options
  • 23-10-2009 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

Greetings all.
    Electricity was off yesterday for some maintenance and hence we had no water supply (rural area on a group water scheme).
    Power and water came back last night, but at the moment there is still no water coming from any of the taps / tiolets upstairs. Downstairs is all good, strong flow of water from all the outlets.

Any idea what could be wrong here? would the tank need time to fill up in the attic or anything?

Cheers
    BB

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭waitingforBB

Just to add, there is water coming from all the hot taps upstairs and down.
    All cold taps downstairs work and all downstairs toilets working fine...
    confused

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Are you on a pump scheme. Is the pump working yet.... The pump might be airlocked. Open all your taps a notch and see if it clears the air.

Thanks Joey, yea, the supply of water to the house is fine, its just the cold water from the tank in the attic that aint coming down.
    Looks like I have an airlock

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

If you think its an airlock you can get a short bit of hose
    Open cold tap fully hold one end of hose up to spout
    hold other end up to spout of hot tap turn on tap full or get someone else to give ya a hand its easier and let the hot flow into the cold tap for 20 seconds or so usually this is enough to get rid of the air lock , if it doesnt work first time try it a 2 or 3 times .
    hold hose up to spouts tight or you will get soaked ,
    if its a mono mixer tap just hold hand over the spout (make sure water isnt hot!!) and open it so both hot and cold sides are open and hot will be forced into cold side .

Thanks.
    I put my hand over the mixer in the bath and ran the hot tap, then opened the cold. No joy first couple of times, but on the third attempt, i held it for about a minute and lo and behold we got a flow.

Thanks for the advice. probably saved me 80 or a hundred quid for a call out to a plumber (who was actually in transit when i got a flow).

cheers

• Advertisement
Advertisement