Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Public Sector is sick

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭mspacman

As I heard someone say recently "terribe ting, dat terrible media, quoting dem statistics at de ordinary public servant". lol[/quote]

No that's not really what I'm trying to convey. It's the way the media brings these statistics in to rile up the rest of the country again the public sector.

At the end of the day, they're statistics! An average across the board. Fair enough, there are probably a lot of time wasters in the public sector, but they're time wasting brings a bad name on the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

mspacman wrote:
    At the end of the day, they're statistics! An average across the board.

Which means that if you were off sick 1 day in 3 years, some other woman was off sick 84 days in those 3 years in order to make an average of 42. Either that or you're very much in a minority of people not taking the piss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

mspacman wrote: »
    It is the those public sector workers at the top of the scale you should be chasing up. The CEO's, the university presidents, now...the bank managers!!!! Not us lower paid, bottom of the scale public sector workers!!!

Until the WHOLE of society, including the lower paid public sector all start calling in one voice for the upper echelons of the public service to have a significant pay cut, we will get nowhere.

These people are hiding behind the lower paid workers and as long as the normal public sector workers who are paid moderatly protect these people by not also joining in the outrage it will remain a civil war.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

MaceFace wrote: »
    Until the WHOLE of society, including the lower paid public sector all start calling in one voice for the upper echelons of the public service to have a significant pay cut, we will get nowhere...

And if those on higher pay in the public service took big cuts, we won't get very far.

It's time people stopped pointing the finger at everybody else and saying that they should take the hit. We all need to take a hit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

And if those on higher pay in the public service took big cuts, we won't get very far.

It's time people stopped pointing the finger at everybody else and saying that they should take the hit. We all need to take a hit.

Agreed but the problem now is that normal folk see that they are the ones taking all the pain and those with the big wages are getting away scott free.

Lets start by reducing all TDs wages to those comparable with the rest of the EU. Then move on to those at the upper scales in the PS, then the lower scales.

Actually, feck that, lets just scrap the PS and start again. It is probably easier.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

But some more so than others. I know some people (eg self-employed) making less than they would get on the dole...they are not on the dole cause they cannot get it, despite having contributed money to the govt for years + sometimes decades. Yet others in society are getting big handouts, pensions etc for doing nothing. There is a fairer way.

jimmmy wrote: »
    But some more so than others. I know some people (eg self-employed) making less than they would get on the dole...they are not on the dole cause they cannot get it, despite having contributed money to the govt for years + sometimes decades. Yet others in society are getting big handouts, pensions etc for doing nothing. There is a fairer way.

So much for my suggestion that it's time people stopped pointing the finger andthat we all need to take a hit!

So much for my suggestion that it's time people stopped pointing the finger andthat we all need to take a hit!
    Read what I wrote " But some more so than others. "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

As I heard someone say recently "terribe ting, dat terrible media, quoting dem statistics at de ordinary public servant". lol

Are you impersonating the house keeper from Tom and Jerry???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭akaredtop

Spoilt, lazy, cossetted, incompetent, stupid, irrational, greedy, dishonest and overpaid.

• Advertisement

akaredtop wrote: »
    Spoilt, lazy, cossetted, incompetent, stupid, irrational, greedy, dishonest and overpaid.

Other than those few minor points, have you any real issues with the public service?

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭S.L.F

MaceFace wrote: »
    Actually, feck that, lets just scrap the PS and start again. It is probably easier.

Who's going tp run the country during the transition?

You can't trust the politicians to do it properly.

So all 380,000 Public Servants are all of these!

They certainly seem very busy to be all of these.

Other than those few minor points, have you any real issues with the public service?

One word I can think of is arrogance / cockiness : They are so cocky they march even though
    they have the highest average public service pay in the known world.

One word I can think of is arrogance / cockiness ...

That's two words!

Read what I wrote " But some more so than others. "

I read what you wrote you said some more than others but then you went on to talk about self employed people then went on about big pensions and handouts and from us going by your previous posts where you have broad generalizations regarding the PS one would assume you are saying the entite PS get...
    Yet others in society are getting big handouts, pensions etc for doing nothing.

I have to agree with you on one point there is a fairer way to do the thing, lets get rid of this stupid, lame govt we have (i.e. the ones who messed it all up in the first place) and give someone else a chance.

I'm not in the PS myself but do think the main problem most of the PS have is they are being scapegoated by the ones who made a dogs @rse of the whole thing and really if those fools (govt) could be gotten rid of they would be more open to cuts in whatever

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

rubbish and unknowledgeable reply

Spoilt/lazy - some are and some take the biscuit

Incompetant,stupid, greedy - i think not, have you met every PS worker. You need to stop reading thoses rags
    Dishonest and Overpaid - Definetly not, people read the tabloids and thinks its gospel, some people in the PS are overpaid yes, but dont generalise everyone, reports in the papers only highlight what they think will go down with the public, in honestly most average workers in the PS are on average wages, and did not have the big bonuses of the celtic tiger unlike the private sector.

and they have had 2 pay cuts in the last year and a third on the way

That's two words!
    Correct and apologies. The point is "They are so cocky they march even though they have the highest average public service pay in the known world."

Correct and apologies. The point is "They are so cocky they march even though they have the highest average public service pay in the known world."

Do you know how many different professions are in the PS, are they all over paid?

The ones who are marching are probably the ones who are not over-paid.

Correct and apologies...

Result!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭OMD

S.L.F wrote: »
    Do you know how many different professions are in the PS, are they all over paid?

The ones who are marching are probably the ones who are not over-paid.

Well nurses, gardai and teachers are overpaid. What professions do you feel are not overpaid?

• Advertisement

I agree many / most of those in the public sector who " earn " 200k plus are probably not in the March....yes there are many "different professions" in the PS ...there is actually a list of mony / most of them in the middle of this months Business Plus magazine, along with what they earn. Yes they are overpaid compared with the private sector ( as the ESRI confirmed ) and other countries.

Result!
    but you ignore the point : "They are so cocky they march even though they have the highest average public service pay in the known world."

but you ignore the point : "They are so cocky they march even though they have the highest average public service pay in the known world."

Sure. I am overwhelmed with joy. I am staying out of the mire.

I agree many / most of those in the public sector who " earn " 200k plus are probably not in the March....yes there are many "different professions" in the PS ...there is actually a list of mony / most of them in the middle of this months Business Plus magazine, along with what they earn. Yes they are overpaid compared with the private sector ( as the ESRI confirmed ) and other countries.

Since I don't happen to have the rag mag here could you post a link to it.

The ERSI report does not have any credit in my view.

You can't compare irish wages with that of different countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Why can't you? we are an export nation, if we don't compete with other countries our economy will sink till it dies. We have to become competitive with the UK and other EU countries and our taxes have to rise and our pay has to be cut.

We have been living off a fake economy of a property boom, now that is gone we have to compete for the multi nationals and we have to get real with a much lower standard of living, the days of 2 cars and a foreign holdiay every year with meals out every weekend is long gone.

The average wage needs to drop by a huge ammount and the minimum wage also needs to be greatly reduced, the dole has to be cut and we have to get real as a nation because if the IMF come in it will be far worse than anything anyone can imagine

Since I don't happen to have the rag mag here could you post a link to it.

I bought a hard copy in the newsagents. You could google it if you want, I could not be interested.
    The ERSI report does not have any credit in my view.
    Other surveys are consistent with it. The ESRI are public servants : you do not give them credit for doing a proper job ?

If Irish public sector wages were lower than in other countries you would not be long in saying so : instead they are the highest in the known world.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭givyjoe81

Single most ridiculous comment i have read in a long time... Do you really think that? Do you think Dell, Coca-Cola would agree with you? How on gods green earth do you think companies such as this and others who are laying off Irish staff came to their decisions?? Albeit it might not have been the only reason but you can be sure it played a major part. Make no mistake high wages in low end manufacturing jobs when compared to other countries is a sure fire reason why companies are leaving/not coming.

Please do try and justify that statement btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭graduate

Trinity Researchers Discover New Way to Kill Leukaemia Cells

What cures for cancer have you found, recently? Can a lazy incompetent person find a cure for cancer?

Villain wrote: »
    Why can't you? we are an export nation, if we don't compete with other countries our economy will sink till it dies. We have to become competitive with the UK and other EU countries and our taxes have to rise and our pay has to be cut.

We have been living off a fake economy of a property boom, now that is gone we have to compete for the multi nationals and we have to get real with a much lower standard of living, the days of 2 cars and a foreign holdiay every year with meals out every weekend is long gone.

The average wage needs to drop by a huge ammount and the minimum wage also needs to be greatly reduced, the dole has to be cut and we have to get real as a nation because if the IMF come in it will be far worse than anything anyone can imagine

I agree with all of what you say.

The IMF have to be invited in they don't just walk in and tell us what to do.

• Advertisement

givyjoe81 wrote: »
    Single most ridiculous comment i have read in a long time....

It can't be the single most ridiculous there must be other ones...
    givyjoe81 wrote: »
    Please do try and justify that statement btw.

A highly educated workforce...

Advertisement