Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bebate on Pat Kenny now about excessive teacher pay here

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭_Kooli_

jimmmy wrote: »
    I am a private industry taxpayer, the rest is none of your business. I never asked you or anyone what they worked at. I could work shifts, I could work in a seasonal industry, I could be lots of things, but I am not on the dole. However, even if I was a public sector worker, I would feel the same about govt expenditure as I do, just like the half a dozen public sector workers in the paper recently, who all thought Irish public sector pay was too high.

You dont pay tax on the dole.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

What nonsense are you talking about ?

And will you answer the question already put to you : Would you prefer we had 4 in the top 5, like the UK has ? If our teachers put in as many hours work as the UK teachers it would be a help.

Hi Jimmy, I have answered this already. Did you not see it?

It is here

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=62678059&postcount=50

Also, primary teachers putting in more hours would not make any difference to university rankings.

The criteria is listed here:

http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/methodology/simple-overview

You need to click on this link to understand why.

Now that it has been explained to you, you can stop linking primary teaching hours with university rankings.

Ive spoken to a few primary teachers (understanding of the public sector is my new favorite subject. i havent got to meet any secondary teachers yet, but im working on it). They seem to have no problem officially working 8:30 to 4:30 in the school itself. They say they do those hours anyway, just not necessarily in the school.

One thing they are concerned about though is that though the teachers wont mind doing those hours, the kids simply cannot do those hours in primary, unless there is a dinner service in the school like in the UK. You simply cannot send young children out at lunch time to find their own way home and to feed themselves at lunch time. You also cannot expect young children to take part in after school activities when they have been on the go all day either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

_Kooli_ wrote: »
    You dont pay tax on the dole.

I never said you do. I am not on the dole and I do pay tax. ( income, vat, excise, you name it, and I have paid other taxes to the govt too ).

I never said you do. I am not on the dole and I do pay tax. ( income, vat, excise, you name it, and I have paid other taxes to the govt too ).

Give over Jimmmy, we know you are on the dole.
    Sure i know who you are :D
    We're having a great laugh at your rantings and ravings on here. We'll let it all out to you some night in the pub.
    I cant believe you havent figured out we've been following your posts yet :) I thought we let the cat out of the bag last week, but obviously not. Rock on boy.

• Advertisement

#15 wrote: »
    Hi Jimmy, I have answered this already. Did you not see it?.

I asked Nodin, not you. See my post no. 59

Also, primary teachers putting in more hours would not make any difference to university rankings.

If school teachers here in Ireland worked as hard as their UK counterparts, or put in as many hours, or met parents in the evenings up to 11 times a year, it may help our kids education - and indeed we could hopefully aspire to one day have some universities say at least in the top 30 worldwide ( the UK have 4 in the top 5 ).

Give over Jimmmy, we know you are on the dole. Sure i know who you are :D

go ahead, who am I so , if you think I am on the dole ? lol

I asked Nodin, not you. See my post no. 59

Nodin was telling you that I had answered you earlier.
    If school teachers here in Ireland worked as hard as their UK counterparts, or put in as many hours, it may help our kids education - and indeed we could hopefully aspire to one day have some universities say at least in the top 30 worldwide ( the UK have 4 in the top 5 ).

No this is not true. Look at that link I posted twice. Maybe you keep missing it.

Btw, repetition of an untruth does not make it true.

go ahead, who am I so , if you think I am on the dole ? lol

Like i said, we'll either wait til you figure it out or we'll print out all your posts and bring them along for the craic some night we're all out again. Until then. Keep it up. You're playing a stormer :D

I still cant believe you havent figured it out. This is going to be great fun altogether until you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I have no problem meeting parents anytime.
    Less holidays are fine if it benefits the kids.
    Less holidays are not ok if it is just to satisfy your jealousy.
    surely more teaching hour would benefit kids?

• Advertisement

How many hours a day would yourself think a child can concentrate for in the class room?

I have no problem taking less holidays for the benefit of the kids. But I don't know the research on it so I can't say one way or the other.

But working longer to ease Jimmys jealousy is ridiculous.

I have no problem taking less holidays for the benefit of the kids. But I don't know the research on it so I can't say one way or the other.

But working longer to ease Jimmys jealousy is ridiculous.

Its not jealousy, its the good of our country - and our childrens and grandchildrens future - I am thinking of. Why should our teachers work so much less , have longer holidays, much better pay and pension, at the expense of our childrens future ?

Give over Jimmmy, we know you are on the dole.
    Sure i know who you are :D
    We're having a great laugh at your rantings and ravings on here. We'll let it all out to you some night in the pub.
    I cant believe you havent figured out we've been following your posts yet :) I thought we let the cat out of the bag last week, but obviously not. Rock on boy.

Like i said, we'll either wait til you figure it out or we'll print out all your posts and bring them along for the craic some night we're all out again. Until then. Keep it up. You're playing a stormer :D

I still cant believe you havent figured it out. This is going to be great fun altogether until you do.

MODS ?

I have already stated I am not on the dole. I do not think someone stalking / threatening should be tolerated.

MODS ?

I have already stated I am not on the dole. I do not think someone stalking / threatening should be tolerated.

Im not threatening anyone. Im hardly stalking either, because you show up in all threads on the public sector Jim. You are just there. The fact that i know you personally has no bearing on the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭themusicman

Look at the very country whose education posters on this very thread have compared us unfavourably to : the UK. They have 4 universities in the top 5 worldwide. Wonder if it has anything to do with teachers there working nearly 1300 hours per year instead of only 735 here ?
    And teachers there holding 11 teacher / parent meeting in the evening during the year etc ?

The only thing I can say to this is you are assuming that the student population of the 4 unis are products of the English Educational System. There is a large international population in the universities.

Although I do not have the answer it would be interesting to note the representation of Irish Educated Students there. That would give an interesting comparison vis a vis the better system, and indeed possibly an international comparison

The fact that i know you personally has no bearing on the situation.

I can guarantee you do not know me personally, if you think I am on the dole. Nor do I " show up in all threads on the public sector ". Nor should you be threatening to print out all my posts. Now stop badgering or I will report you.

I can guarantee you do not know me personally, if you think I am on the dole. Nor do I " show up in all threads on the public sector ". Nor should you be threatening to print out all my posts. Now stop badgering or I will report you.

We definitely know you, as we will let you know some night when we are all together again. I cant believe you havent copped us.

You are on the dole.

You do show up in all public sector related threads.

Now, if you care to get back on topic then lets get back on topic.

How long do you think children can stay in school for every day?
    Are you aware that Ireland is NOT the UK?

Mods ? Where are you ?

Mods ? Where are you ?

Can you not just get back on topic?

• Advertisement

Can you not just get back on topic?
    not when you have threatened to take action against another poster in their private life.

Although you do not know me ( you most certainly do not if you think I am on the dole ), you have crossed the line.

Mods , up to you.

Jimmy, you misrepresented me earlier on, which I could report you for. You also made disparaging remarks to me based on my profession.

You are the last person who should be calling for mods to take a close look at todays threads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Its not(....) future ?

And its back to hyperbole and posts crying persecution (as opposed to reporting the post and getting on with it).

#15 has already answered you. Are you going to address his post?

Its not jealousy, its the good of our country - and our childrens and grandchildrens future - I am thinking of. Why should our teachers work so much less , have longer holidays, much better pay and pension, at the expense of our childrens future ?

Show me some evidence that longer hours benefits children. Particularly younger children.

I have no problem with longer hours if they benefit, but its not a sure thing that they do.

btw, you are mixing up educational arguments with economic arguments again. You're all over the place. Pick one or the other.

More hours= higher costs.
    I thought you wanted to cut costs.

Jimmy, you must have not seen this post, any chance of a response or is it more cut and run?

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=62679773&postcount=69

Jimmy, you misrepresented me earlier on, which I could report you for. You also made disparaging remarks to me based on my profession.
    No I most certainly did not. Read the posts again. I showed you the thread, the statistics were in the thread, you are well capable of fishing those statistics from many different sources out of the thread yourself.

Do you condone Kooli on this board threatening to take action against another poster in their private life ?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Jimmmy, report posts don't spam threads going "MODS". We have lives and don't sit scanning every thread all weekend ffs.

This thread is locked. If you lot keep getting personal I'm going to start handing out very long bans. Attack the post not the poster. If you can't manage that just save us your attempts at trolling and wit and don't bother posting.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement