Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just sharing a little story *Proud auntie alert*

Options
  • 23-10-2009 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭

This is an article in yesterday's Irish Examiner featuring my 11 year old niece and her assistance dog, Abbie.

Just a little insight into how dogs can change lives and how animal charities (in this case, Dogs for the Disabled, based in Cork) can help families.
    Abbie a helping paw for Clodagh
    By Claire O’Sullivan

Thursday, October 22, 2009

ABBIE isn’t just a dog to 11-year-old Clodagh Mangan; she’s like the sister she doesn’t have.

Clodagh from Ballymacelligott near Tralee, Co Kerry, has had her life transformed since the golden retriever came into her life two and a half years ago. However it’s only in the last few months that Abbie has been trained as an assistance dog, making Clodagh the first wheelchair-user child in the country to have such a dog.

Abbie graduated from training with Irish Dogs for the Disabled at the Nano Nagle Centre in Mallow yesterday and she is now able to turn on or off lights for Clodagh and send messages to Clodagh’s mother. It’s all part of the charity’s aim of giving greater independence to disabled people.

She also goes to the shop with her owner and will accompany her if she is travelling to a nearby friend’s house.

Abbie has also been trained to help Clodagh if she’s in danger. Clodagh says that if she fell in her chair, she can order Abbie to "speak" and the dog will bark incessantly until an adult responds.

Even Clodagh admits that Abbie has given her "a lot more confidence".

"She’s very good. She’s my friend. She makes me feel safe. For instance, if my mum goes into the shop and I stay in the car, I’m happy to sit there with Abbie," she said.

Clodagh’s mum, Siobháin, said the biggest benefit for her daughter has been the companionship that Abbie offers.

"She is really like her friend. Clodagh is an only child, so she’s the sister she never had. If she’s down in her bedroom with her friends, they will always want Abbie there," she said. "She is much happier with Abbie. Take for instance when you’re out and people see a child in a wheelchair, they tend to stare. Not anymore, they will smile and admire Clodagh and Abbie."

This story appeared in the printed version of the Irish Examiner Thursday, October 22, 2009

Read more: http://www.examiner.ie/ireland/abbie-a-helping-paw-for-clodagh-103856.html#ixzz0UkqHekNN

There's a lovely picture of the two wearing graduation caps which is in the printed edition but not online, will add it when i get my hands on a scanned copy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Ah thats a lovely story! :D Our golden is coming up to 14 weeks now - I'm going to show this to my mum to prove that they can be well behaved when they grow up! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I don't blame you being a proud auntie :)

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Wotzit

this is a really heartwarming story, thanks for posting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭YOURFACE!

I absolutely love these stories! Best of luck to Clodagh and Abbie, I really hope that more people have the opportunity to have an assistance dog in their lives!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Nice to read a feel-good story for a change. Sounds like Clodagh and Abbie make quite the partnership :)

No wonder you're a proud Auntie :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭joyce2009

thats a great story,,,how proud you must be,,,just lovely:):)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Very nice story ! Thanks for sharing :)

Advertisement