Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DELL XPS Desktops and Windows 7

• 23-10-2009 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭

anyone know why Dell are not deploying all new desktops with Windows 7.
    The whole XPS desktop range is still with crappy Vista.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

Possedion wrote: »
    anyone know why Dell are not deploying all new desktops with Windows 7.
    The whole XPS desktop range is still with crappy Vista.
    Just because it has Vista installed, doesn't mean you don't get Windows 7. There's an upgrade scheme.

https://win7.dell.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

I don't think Dell will fully role out Windows 7 til the end of the month. the 26th is the date they have for English on their site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

I looked through Dells website last night and practicully all computers I saw were offering Vista with an upgrade. Might be best to wait until they start rolling the machines with Win 7 saves the hassle of upgrading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DannyBuoy

The machine will prob be cleaner aswell if it gets a virgin factory install of 7 as against an end user upgrade on top of vista. Surely worth holding off a little while.

DannyBuoy wrote: »
    The machine will prob be cleaner aswell if it gets a virgin factory install of 7 as against an end user upgrade on top of vista. Surely worth holding off a little while.

hah, given the bloatware Dell add? better doing a fresh install yerself i you want it clean.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,216 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

It does seem very retarded of the OEMs to not have prepped aside a few hundred units with Windows 7 RTM for Launch Day. Since they havent though, that would indicate to me that they plan to burn through all of their Vista inventory, rather than be left with hundreds if not thousands of un-activated Vista OEM licenses that they bought and paid for. And thats likely the case here.

Expect a Late Year/Early 2010 Sale on old Vista inventory. And dont expect a proper full Windows 7 machine until much closer to christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭nachos

I'm looking to get the Dell Studio Slim with Windows 7. It's 4 days since Windows 7 was launched and half the desktops are still on crappy vista. I've asked the tech support when it would be bundled with W7, but they useless and didn't have a clue.

I've to buy this desktop before the end of the month and although I'd prefer it to come with W7 installed, I might have to get it in Vista and upgrade. Does anyone know if the Studio Slim is included in Dell's Upgrade program?

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Possedion

not sure - its states its not available, but I agree with the dooh we dont know when it will be available. sometimes dell are crap, this is some of their nicer products and they wont sell with win7. (its a pity there is not a better online retailer)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭Rezident

I heard recently Dell might be discontinuing XPS. The custom cooling looks really good but the systems are very expensive for the hardware you get.

Rezident wrote: »
    I heard recently Dell might be discontinuing XPS. The custom cooling looks really good but the systems are very expensive for the hardware you get.

just to follow on from that

Dell will begin phasing out its XPS gaming desktops, according to a report in the Wall Street Journal.

The report suggests that Dell is concerned the XPS range is eating into sales of its high-end Alienware brand, which it bought back in 2006.
    To combat this, Dell is apparently ready to cut four XPS gaming desktops, and refresh the Alienware lineup with new designs which will form part of a new brand push.

If the news bears fruit, it would undoubtedly surprise many following the warm response to the XPS 630 and the announcement of the XPS 730 follow up.

It would also represent something of an about face for the company, which previously told PC Pro that it intended its XPS and Alienware gaming machines to "dovetail".

The report also casts doubt over the XPS M1730 gaming laptop, which could also receive the chop as Dell continues to differentiate its lifestyle and gaming divisions, following redesigns of its Inspiron and Vostro range of laptops.

Dell was unavailable for comment at the time of writing.

• Advertisement

good riddance. my experiences with the XPS range is that they were the least reliable of all Dell products.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭Rezident

good riddance. my experiences with the XPS range is that they were the least reliable of all Dell products.

That's surprising for the prices of them. I thought with the dell premium you'd a least get more stability.

I have a Dell XPS laptop now for nearly 1 years and a half and find it solid

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Possedion

not to knock the XPS, but I also had one, it had the motherboard replaced twice and the hot key touch thing for the multimedia.
    lastly the battery is gone, POS. I am hoping the desktop would be better.
    but getting tired of Dell... any other good online retailer!:D

Rezident wrote: »
    That's surprising for the prices of them. I thought with the dell premium you'd a least get more stability.
    EKRIUQ wrote: »
    I have a Dell XPS laptop now for nearly 1 years and a half and find it solid

we had a bunch of XPS in my lab in college. Granted they were a wee bit old (2 years last Sept.) but they were wrought with problems. By the end of my time in college, every 2-4 weeks one would fail (the northbridge specifically). My own machine failed on me twice in the year I was using it.

we had a bunch of XPS in my lab in college. Granted they were a wee bit old (2 years last Sept.) but they were wrought with problems. By the end of my time in college, every 2-4 weeks one would fail (the northbridge specifically). My own machine failed on me twice in the year I was using it.

Sh1t, might have to look into a extended warranty

Advertisement