Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Acer Aspire Revo R3600, £159.95 delivered to Ireland from Ebuyer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭philbee

i reordered mine, their site says over 160 in stock, I also used google checkout the first time and have used it again today. my credit card was refunded for the first one so we'll see what happens

Canceled again

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Does anyone actually have a reason for the orders being cancelled?

ive got a reply stating item no longer available or sold out but when i check the site there are over 160 available:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Damn,

I did not have my CC on me over the weekend so had to wait till today to order :/
    philbee wrote: »
    ive got a reply stating item no longer available or sold out but when i check the site there are over 160 available:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Rev. Kitchen

Have you tired getting onto customer support ? It may be just a bug in the system.

Mine was shipped over the weekend so fingers crossed it comes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

FWIW I ordered one around 7pm yesterday (note to self: must stop drinking at dinner :( ) and according to Google Checkout it shipped yesterday evening

This is prob a stupid question but how do you change the County to Ireland for delivery address?

BOFH_139 wrote: »
    This is prob a stupid question but how do you change the County to Ireland for delivery address?

Use Google Checkout

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 49 declans

I see this is available on amazon.com for $199.99 but with XP , My question is for anyone who has one is the Power Supply 220V compatible, I am visting family in Philadelphia next week and may buy if the power supply checks out ,
    Thanks in Advance

http://www.amazon.com/Acer-AspireRevo-AR1600-U910H-Desktop-Windows/dp/B002O3W44Q/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1256663267&sr=8-2

declans wrote: »
    I see this is available on amazon.com for $199.99 but with XP , My question is for anyone who has one is the Power Supply 220V compatible, I am visting family in Philadelphia next week and may buy if the power supply checks out ,
    Thanks in Advance

http://www.amazon.com/Acer-AspireRevo-AR1600-U910H-Desktop-Windows/dp/B002O3W44Q/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1256663267&sr=8-2

It uses the standard Acer power supply- a switching power supply which inputs either 110 or 240v.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

FWIW I ordered one around 7pm yesterday (note to self: must stop drinking at dinner :( ) and according to Google Checkout it shipped yesterday evening

Lucky you. I ordered one at around 3.30 yesterday and got the email this morning that my order had been cancelled and my money refunded. Bummer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭nastysimon

I ordered today at 12 today and received notice that it had shipped at 8.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

It's strange that they seem to be randomly cancelling some orders..
    I ordered Saturday with google checkout, got the shipped notice yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Redisle wrote: »
    It's strange that they seem to be randomly cancelling some orders..
    I ordered Saturday with google checkout, got the shipped notice yesterday.

Strange alright, ordered mine Friday via Google Checkout and Friday evening it was marked as shipped with a 'Parcel Force' tracking number.
    Feck all tracking info though when I try to track it, only get 'Express AM'

• Advertisement

i ordered it again, third time lucky maybe (300 left in stock). Im getting it shipped to an address different to my billing address, would this be the problem? Still using the googlecheckout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

kerbdog wrote: »
    Strange alright, ordered mine Friday via Google Checkout and Friday evening it was marked as shipped with a 'Parcel Force' tracking number.
    Feck all tracking info though when I try to track it, only get 'Express AM'

FWIW the last item I got via Parcel force had been delivered by GLS an hour before the tracking details on the website even showed that it was in the country!

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭clansman

i am trying to use Google Checkout to place an order but i cant find www.ebuyer.com on Google Checkout stores,
    any ideas what i am doing wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

i ordered it again, third time lucky maybe (300 left in stock). Im getting it shipped to an address different to my billing address, would this be the problem? Still using the googlecheckout.

I wonder... that's what I was trying to do. Let us know how you get on :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Do-more wrote: »
    FWIW the last item I got via Parcel force had been delivered by GLS an hour before the tracking details on the website even showed that it was in the country!

Fingers crossed it shows up today so :)

• Advertisement

clansman wrote: »
    i am trying to use Google Checkout to place an order but i cant find www.ebuyer.com on Google Checkout stores,
    any ideas what i am doing wrong.

Did you follow the instructions here?

invest4deepvalue.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭joeperry

Hi if I buy windows 7 for this how do I install it as it doesn't have a DVD drive?

joeperry wrote: »
    Hi if I buy windows 7 for this how do I install it as it doesn't have a DVD drive?

You'll have to copy the disc onto a memory stick or external harddrive and install from there. Or I suppose you could share a drive on another PC on your home network (assuming) and download to the desktop and install from there.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭clansman

Do-more wrote: »
    Did you follow the instructions here?

cheers for that.
    one ordered.
    hope i get it

Check this out, too

http://store.microsoft.com/Help/ISO-Tool

Or check out tomorrow's special in Aldi here

Just got this. Delivery man left it in the local shop for me so I got it a day early :)

Just unboxing now and I can confirm the keyboard and mouse are wired, not wireless. Now on to setting it up and installing some os's! This thing is seriously small!

Just got this. Delivery man left it in the local shop for me so I got it a day early :)

Just unboxing now and I can confirm the keyboard and mouse are wired, not wireless. Now on to setting it up and installing some os's! This thing is seriously small!

Hmmm- mine are definetely wireless- so I guess they're shipping different versions (plus mine came with a 250Gb harddrive).

Curious.

Anyone planning on getting the external DVD burner from Aldi tomorrow?

ok, order gone through. the prob is with google checkout. They rang me from the uk to confirm the delivery address and to confirm who i was. I got the approval from ebuyer after the call :D. so it's true, third time is a charm!

Got mine today too havent had a chance to open it yet be up the walls.

Anyone use linux is it ok to use might leave it rather than windows 7. Might pick up that dvd burner tomorrow and pixmania have a 23" HD monitor for around 160 i think.

• Advertisement

smccarrick wrote: »
    Hmmm- mine are definetely wireless- so I guess they're shipping different versions (plus mine came with a 250Gb harddrive).

Curious.

I got a blu ray drive from ebay last week for 85euro, its sata type connection so I'd prob have to get a case for it btu it would be a good way to go, you can have blu ray, dvd/cd burning all in one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

bought one using google checkout. just wondering, how did people put their mobile number in there?had to throw in 07857 for it to actually go through. fingers crossed ill go through,

I got a blu ray drive from ebay last week for 85euro, its sata type connection so I'd prob have to get a case for it btu it would be a good way to go, you can have blu ray, dvd/cd burning all in one.

The Revo has an eSATA connection :)
    I got a SATA to eSATA cable from Marx Computers out at Marino- and did a DIY jobbie with a Bluray burner that I picked up from adverts.ie :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭joeperry

Guys I might hold off buying windows 7 if I can use an old copy of windows xp that is already installed on my old pc.

The Revo has an eSATA connection :)
    I got a SATA to eSATA cable from Marx Computers out at Marino- and did a DIY jobbie with a Bluray burner that I picked up from adverts.ie :D

Any idea how i could manage the power supply to the blu ray rom drive from the acer?

Any idea how i could manage the power supply to the blu ray rom drive from the acer?

I used an external powersupply (that came with an external hard-drive that I've misplaced somewhere). You're not going to get a 12 volt supply out of the Acer- don't even try- seriously don't......

Your best bet is to get a SATA/USB 5.25"case and mount your internal drive in it. They retail at around EUR35/40 (you can even get them locally- the likes of marxcomputers.ie have them)

S.

Woo whoo on boards on my Acer !! :D

Very nice little machine surprisingly fast too. First time using Linux so im a little lost but finding out little bits as i go.

Woo whoo on boards on my Acer !! :D

Very nice little machine surprisingly fast too. First time using Linux so im a little lost but finding out little bits as i go.

Whole new version of the Linux distribution Ubuntu out tomorrow- version 8.10 known as 'Karmic Koala' Its got very good driver support and is better than the distro that ships on the Revo- if you'd like a little experimenting......?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Curious.

Already have an external dvd drive. Tempted to get the wireless keyboard with touchpad though. Looks good.

• Advertisement

Whole new version of the Linux distribution Ubuntu out tomorrow- version 8.10 known as 'Karmic Koala' Its got very good driver support and is better than the distro that ships on the Revo- if you'd like a little experimenting......?

A very dumb question i know but this Linux Revo isn't an operating system like windows (you know with icons and stuff) thats Ubunto i need right ? I was looking through the Acer and could only find internet,photo,music etc couldnt find out how to install any other programs like VLC or things. I bought this to be my work desk top when i start my business so ill need to install some Autocad type software.

At the moment im downloading Ubunto that is what im looking for ? I would wait untill tomor but im super exciteded about getting this going.

A very dumb question i know but this Linux Revo isn't an operating system like windows (you know with icons and stuff) thats Ubunto i need right ? I was looking through the Acer and could only find internet,photo,music etc couldnt find out how to install any other programs like VLC or things. I bought this to be my work desk top when i start my business so ill need to install some Autocad type software.

At the moment im downloading Ubunto that is what im looking for ? I would wait untill tomor but im super exciteded about getting this going.

Its not a silly question.
    Yes- Ubuntu is a full operating system- with Office and loads of applications. It looks and behaves more like Mac OS than Windows- but you have VLC, Open Office and loads of other applications- and its all opensource, so its free!

If you're downloading it at the moment- make sure you get 8.10 and not 8.04 (the previous distro).

S.

Ps- burn the ISO to disk- and you can boot from the disk and play with the operating system- without installing anything watsover. If you're not happy with it- you don't have to install it.......

Its not a silly question.
    Yes- Ubuntu is a full operating system- with Office and loads of applications. It looks and behaves more like Mac OS than Windows- but you have VLC, Open Office and loads of other applications- and its all opensource, so its free!

If you're downloading it at the moment- make sure you get 8.10 and not 8.04 (the previous distro).

S.

Ps- burn the ISO to disk- and you can boot from the disk and play with the operating system- without installing anything watsover. If you're not happy with it- you don't have to install it.......

Cheers for that, im on the right track so, i found a website giving a step by step to install it on this very machine which might be of use to people http://www.greenhughes.com/content/how-install-ubuntu-and-boxee-acer-aspire-revo

It sent me to here http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download and the latest version was a 9.04 ?? Hope thats the right one.

I ll let ye know how i get on with it.

Sorry- the new version is 9.10 - and its only out tomorrow- its got the nickname 'Karmic Koala'.......

I must say this thing is really very responsive with Windows 7. Much quicker than I expected with it's little 1.6Ghz Proc.

I had a few plans for this and some are working out. Was trying to get my DVB-T usb stick working earlier but ran into a few problems.. the first being that I couldn't get Alt-dvb working but I think the stick is after breaking after a few tests on another machine. This would have been pretty sweet with hardware based MPEG-4 decoding on the acer.

Next I got HD playback working, played back a 720p MKV documentary no problem after I installed CoreAVC with CUDA support and Mediaplayerclassic-HC. It was stuttering from time to time but Im putting this down to a shortage of RAM or Video memory. It really would benefit from an extra gig or two of RAM (Which I will get around to, just a pain that it voids the warranty)

Think il throw the new Ubuntu on at the weekend too and give that a spin. I had actually stated using Ubuntu a bit on my main laptop cause I was sick of Vista but Im happy enough with Win7 now :). I still want to learn more unix cli however.

Also, anyone know if it's possible to get some sort of adaptor to let me mount this to the back of a large LCD? The mounting holes on my 32" sony are too far apart for the supplied VESA mount and Id love to attach it there..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

Next I got HD playback working, played back a 720p MKV documentary no problem after I installed CoreAVC with CUDA support and Mediaplayerclassic-HC. It was stuttering from time to time but Im putting this down to a shortage of RAM or Video memory. It really would benefit from an extra gig or two of RAM (Which I will get around to, just a pain that it voids the warranty)

Have you tested playing back your 720p mkv files with MPC HC's built-in decoder? It supports the Nvidia 9400M, so full hardware acceleration will work fine and without the need for CoreAVC.

With that said, I'm not sure how CoreAVC with CUDA support compares to the MPC Video decoder, but you should definitely compare them to find out which is better.

• Advertisement

Finally ordered one today with an extra 2GiB Ram module, so hope the order goes through.

Can anybody confirm that it ships with a single stick of ram and not 2x 512?

@Rsaeire
    Yeah I tried it first using MPC's built in one but it was very jumpy. CoreAvc's playback is much smoother (but I am getting some stuttering at full screen, pretty sure I need more memory)

@BOHF 139
    I checked my system earlier with SIW and it said 2 slots, max 4gb with 1 stick (1024mb) installed in slot 1. One slot free. I do wonder if it would be better to have 2x1gb rather than 1gb + 2gb (anyone know exactly how much of a performance difference there is between dual channel and non dc? )

Edit:Here's an SIW screenshot for Memory:

meminfo.th.jpg

And for those interested this is a screenshot of the windows experience index.

windowsexp.th.jpg

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

You'll still get dual channel with a 2GB and 1GB stick but only 2GBs will operate in dual channel. If I were you I'd go with 3GBs or 4GBs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭pauly3

It has 1 module of 1GB, with one slot free (I opened mine up). If you are upgrading the memory use two matching modules for dual-channel operation. This gives about a 10% increase in speed. If you are installing Windows 7 64-bit I would recommend 2x2GB modules, PC2-6400 - 800Mhz (PC2-5300 - 667Mhz works also).

To upgrade the hard drive you have to remove the motherboard. The hard drive is secured with 4 screws on the bottom of the motherboard. You must also remove the fan and heatsink first. There is space for a 1TB 2.5" hard disk, if you have a large movie collection!

Video link here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ayQOyTEWRw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭pauly3

I installed Windows 7 Ultimate (32-bit) on the Revo last night and am pleased to report it is running very well. I installed 2GB ram first, and changed the amount allocated to the graphics to 512MB.

The installation was painless, after booting from a USB key, and all device drivers were installed with the automatic updates (only one item still needing drivers - a 'coprocessor' ??). The Windows 7 Experience Index Score was as follows:

Processor: 2.2
    Memory: 4.5
    Graphics: 4.1
    Gaming Graphics: 5.1
    Primary Hard Disk: 5.4

I was pleasantly surprised by the good graphics scores. The processor was to be expected. Aero runs very smoothly. Total RAM usage after the install was around 500MB.

I did not have time to play HD video, but will report back when I do.

• Advertisement
Advertisement