Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Acer Aspire Revo R3600, £159.95 delivered to Ireland from Ebuyer

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,966 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Anyone got any tips on how to boost the performance on this machine. I stuck in 4 gb of ram which made it quicker but the CPU runs at around 90-100% most of the time even when just watching youtube.

Is there any programs i shoud remove from running in the back ground. I took off all the anti virus stuff and put on AVG and spybot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Anyone got any tips on how to boost the performance on this machine. I stuck in 4 gb of ram which made it quicker but the CPU runs at around 90-100% most of the time even when just watching youtube.

I read a review of a machine like this and the guy put down the processor usage to Flash. There's a beta of Flash 10.1 that he put on and the processor usage went way down.
    You can try the beta (http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flashplayer10/) or just wait for the official release.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Johner wrote: »
    Is there anywhere cheaper to pick up this bundle?
    yes there is, as subway posted the other day. :)
    subway wrote: »
    the R3610 is now 199.99 from ebuyer

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/182588

damn you subway, i thought I was the first one to spot the £199 R3610 deal. :p

i was actually going to start a new thread and watch all the thanks roll in, but now you've ruined my plans of world domination through the boards.ie 'thanks' system. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,966 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I read a review of a machine like this and the guy put down the processor usage to Flash. There's a beta of Flash 10.1 that he put on and the processor usage went way down.
    You can try the beta (http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flashplayer10/) or just wait for the official release.

I dont know how or why but that seemed to do the trick thanks for that. Tipping away now around the 20-40 mark when running 2 or 3 different things.

i've always had trouble with youtube etc. on my work PC, it's only a 3ghz P4 w/2gb ram and even the low res youtube stuff used to stutter occasionally due to the number of things I have running on the box, but that beta update seems to have improved things significantly, thanks mick. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

The Acer Aspire Revo R3600 is now reduced to £139.91/€160.74 (approx.) inc. delivery to Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

Rsaeire wrote: »
    The Acer Aspire Revo R3600 is now reduced to £139.91/€160.74 (approx.) inc. delivery to Ireland.

Now £129.92inc. vat according to the site.

would it not be silly to NOT go for the dual core one though now they're so cheap?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Took the words outta my mouth.
    £200/€230 delivered (Linux version), with a keyboard & mouse included (OK, USB, not wireless)... kinda knocks the carp out of the Targa thing they're doing in Lidl, doesn't it? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

Mac daddy wrote: »
    Now £129.92inc. vat according to the site.

The £129.92 price is for delivery to the UK, which is free. I included the price with delivery to Ireland.

• Advertisement

Feck it, I'd love to buy it now. But what if the price drops another tenner tomorrow?! :eek::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

vibe666 wrote: »
    would it not be silly to NOT go for the dual core one though now they're so cheap?

They're both dual core

eamon234 wrote: »
    They're both dual core
    NO they're not.

the R3600 uses the Atom 230 which is a single core CPU (with hyperthreading), whereas the R3610 uses the Atom 330 Dual Core (with hyperthreading) and there's a significant difference between the two.

not to mention the extra ram in the R3610 will help significantly too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Wcool

If you use the PC only as a media centre, it doesn't matter. Don't buy the dual core one I'd say. If you use it as a normal PC, yes I would as the 3600 is just (and only just) a tad too slow for normal computing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭sxt

What is the differnece between single core and dual core ?:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Wcool

Is there any programs i shoud remove from running in the back ground. I took off all the anti virus stuff and put on AVG and spybot.

4gb will not make it faster (and windows can not use all of it anyway, only the 64 bit windows can use it or linux, but linux does not need more than 2GB).

I have found Youtube a problem as well and am waiting for the hardware accelerated Flash player (i use linux). It should help considerably.

AVG and Spybot slow down your computer actually. Spybot should only be run once a week and turn AVG daily scan off. INstall Firefox with the Noscript extension, a cookie blocker, Adblock plus and you probably have a faster solution than running AVG all the time.

sxt wrote: »
    €60, here. A couple of (quiet) nights in the pub?

Dammit, once my CC billing date slips by this weekend I think I'm gonna go for that R3610 :) (and at that will stop pulling this thread off the OP's topic).

sxt wrote: »
    one has two cores, the other only has one. :D

basically, you get two of the main part of the processor in a dual core cpu. it will share some of the components with the other core, but in the simplest terms it allows you to run more applications concurrently or will allow any application capable of multithreading to run (anything up to) *almost* twice as fast as a similar spec single core cpu, depending on what exactly it's doing.

in a single core cpu, all the instructions that are sent to the CPU are queued up and processed one at a time, but with a dual core cpu it can process two queues of instructions symultaneously. most of the time it won't speed up a single application, but will work wonders if you are running several apps at once as they're not all fighting for proccessing time on the same core.

hyperthreading is kind of a virtual version of this, but although its more effective than just having a regular single core, it's not able to compete with two physical cores as although you have two queues waiting for cpu time, they are still only getting access to a single core, alternating between the two queues. it mitigates only having one core to work with multiple apps at the same time, but it's far from ideal.

you can see hyperthreading in action if you have a single core cpu with hyperthreading on it you'll notice that task manager shows two cpu graphs as if you have two physical cpu's.

if you had one of the top end current cpu's like the i7 920 (quad core with hyperthreading), you'll actually see 8 cpu graphs in task manager as each core has hyperthreading enabled on it.

there's 6 & 8 core consumer cpu's on he horizon already and AMD is about to release a 12 core server cpu (and you could have 4 physical cpu's on one motherboard, so 48 cores total) so i think MS might want to find a better way to show the cpu activity in task manager or before long we'll need to have two widescreen monitors just to see what's going on. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭cianof

ebay item 380192406419
    Free shipping from Taiwan
    R3610
    320GB HD
    Wireless mouse and keyboard

Will accept 182GPB if offered.

The SPDIF Optical audio ports puts the R3610 above the R3600 for the money IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭fletch

cianof wrote: »
    ebay item 380192406419
    Free shipping
    R3610
    320GB HD

Bought one of them myself....no complaints. Wireless mouse and keyboard are another bonus. Bear in mind it comes with Linpus Linux which has no GUI, just a command line.

• Advertisement

Can't be that hard to get it set up with ubuntu, xbmc or whatever os u need?

Can't be that hard to get it set up with ubuntu, xbmc or whatever os u need?
    A bit of work but I got it set up with XP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

+ VAT then.

Of course. Value added tax at 21% since it's coming in from outside the EU.

You might be lucky and not get charged.... :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

ebay item 380192406419
    R3610
    320GB HD

To be honest- I'd be quite surprised if you didn't get hit for customs and duties ontop of the asking price.......?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

..unless, of course, you didn't pay for it and it's actually a gift send from your cousin in Taiwan.

smccarrick wrote: »
    To be honest- I'd be quite surprised if you didn't get hit for customs and duties ontop of the asking price.......?
    I didnt....probably lucky.

highly unusual these days, they're opening just about everything coming from outside the EU. it's xmas every day in the customs department. :(

just as an FYI, i heard back from the guys at ebuyer and they've said that for delivery to ireand just put in EIRE123 in the postcode box and make sure your phone number starts with a zero, so put in 00353, drop the first zero of your number and add i to the end and al should be rosey (or so they tell me). :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,752 ✭✭✭degsie

and add i to the end

Can you clarify? Do you put the character 'i' at the end of the tele number :confused: Sorry!

I'd seen that eBay one from Taiwan; the Chinese/English keyboard didn't put me off half as much as this:

HOW TO DO WARRANTY
    • The Item is brand new in original packaging and comes with 1 year manufacturer's warranty. Please note that the item does not have international warranty, only Taiwan warranty.
    • How to do the warranty : The warranty will be covered by natural faulty not including man-made damaged. Please send back to Taiwan for warranty, then we will send back to you.
    • If you receive a defective item or any item needs to be repaired under the warranty period. We replace or fix the item for you free of charge. buyers have to report to us within 3 days and take a picture to show us the damage part and outside of packageafter received the item. We will replace another brand new and tested OK ones to buyers. Buyers are responsible for sending it back to us safely and we will pay for the postage of sending the replacement to buyer.
    • Please do not bid if you can not accept the Warranty details.
    Quite apart from the likelihood of being hit for VAT/duties, I think I'd be going with ebuyer, for the sake of £18.
    So who's got a promotion code? ;)

degsie wrote: »
    Can you clarify? Do you put the character 'i' at the end of the tele number :confused: Sorry!
    sorry, my typing fingers sometimes work at a different sapeed to my brain. :D
    ...make sure your phone number starts with a zero, so put in 00353, drop the first zero of your number and add (the rest of) it to the end and all should be rosy (or so they tell me). :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

NO they're not.

the R3600 uses the Atom 230 which is a single core CPU (with hyperthreading), whereas the R3610 uses the Atom 330 Dual Core (with hyperthreading) and there's a significant difference between the two.

not to mention the extra ram in the R3610 will help significantly too.

Apologies, my device manager in Ubuntu shows two CPU's for some reason.:o

Thats accurate- the CPU supports hyperthreading- so its presented as two independent units by the BIOS- Ubuntu is simply reporting the hardware as it recognises it- doesn't mean there are two physical cores present......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭WalterMitty

Currys are advertising a toshiba laptop at cheaper than uk price this weekend in the irish stores. Is it worth the money or could one order online cheaper?

Powered by the AMD Sempron Processor for Notebooks SI-42, which enables the smooth running of Microsoft's Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium operating system, the Toshiba Satellite L450D is an all-round efficient piece laptop. Complete with 2GB of RAM and a 250 GB hard drive, you won't go wrong with this piece of apparatus. Model: L450D-13X 399euro, uk price in euro 415euro.

• Advertisement

yeah, they do.

as far as device manager is concerned (in windows or linux) you get the following. HT = hyperthreading.

single core (no HT) = single cpu graph
    single core (with HT) = two cpu graphs
    dual core (no HT) = two cpu graphs
    dual core (with HT) = four cpu graphs
    quad core (no HT) = four cpu graphs
    quad core (with HT) = eight cpu graphs

as far as the OS is concerned, there's no different between multiple cores and HT, it'll use them pretty much exactly the same way, sharing tasks between the least used HT's and/or cores.

the R3610 is now down from £199 to £189.99 on ebuyer.

damn, it's getting harder and harder to not buy it. :(

the R3610 is now down from £199 to £189.99 on ebuyer.

damn, it's getting harder and harder to not buy it. :(

Go-on, you know you want to......
    Something to keep in mind- the exchange rate has gone totally crap.
    Its over EUR120 per St£100 now......

I just ordered one to deliver to our UK office.
    The £189 came to €221.54 with Paypal checkout.

that's the problem, I DO want to AND I have a legit use for it, not just a 'want', but I'm getting married in June and every penny is going to get spent on that till then. :(

then no doubt there will be babies and all the expense that goes with that.

feck it, just shoot me now! :o

• Advertisement

Latecomer to the thread! If I bought this and followed the LifeHacker post (installing XBMC) what features would I have? I mean I'm still using an xbox for xbmc so would the only gain be HD stuff? So I'd lose all my emulators and games?

Latecomer to the thread! If I bought this and followed the LifeHacker post (installing XBMC) what features would I have? I mean I'm still using an xbox for xbmc so would the only gain be HD stuff? So I'd lose all my emulators and games?

I've moved from XBMC on an Xbox to XBMC on one of these. The main difference is that on a HD TV you can have the higher quality skins on XBMC. I'm using this. http://xbmc.org/skins/mediastreamredu/
    I tried it or something similar on the Xbox but in the lower def you could barely read the text. On the Revo on HD it looks great.

I kind of got fed up of of the Xbox stuttering on some file formats. Thats gone.

The final difference is that you can use the web browser with your OS on your sitting room TV. Handy.

You will lose your emulators and games as they're nothing to do with XBMC but you can leave the Xbox under the TV too :)

Edit: To install XBMC on Windows is dead easy. It's just an exe to run and it installs. Then copy the skin into your skins folder.

:) ok thanks Mick!

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭markyboy

So I'd lose all my emulators and games?

If you install Ubuntu and then XBMC you could install ZSNES and play old Nintendo games and these https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Games

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

You can run all emulators on Linux too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,400 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I'm looking for one of these to run Windows 7 on the 42'' Bravia in the living room. Should I get the Intel Atom 230 1.6GHz or the
    Intel Atom Dual Core N330?. I'll also be looking into putting XBMC on it too. Not sure which one would be best for me.

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    I'm looking for one of these to run Windows 7 on the 42'' Bravia in the living room. Should I get the Intel Atom 230 1.6GHz or the
    Intel Atom Dual Core N330?. I'll also be looking into putting XBMC on it too. Not sure which one would be best for me.

We have two here- one of each. The wife is using the N230- and you really notice the difference in performance on it- compared with the N330 on Windows 7. If you're running background apps (such as a firewall and antivirus software for example) the N230 really is a slouch- to the extent that shutting down or opening can take almost 50% longer than the N330. A big issue is shutting down multiple apps simultaneously (or force quitting) it can just grind to a halt altogether.

I would seriously recommend paying the extra 30 quid for the better processor......

I've moved from XBMC on an Xbox to XBMC on one of these. The main difference is that on a HD TV you can have the higher quality skins on XBMC. I'm using this. http://xbmc.org/skins/mediastreamredu/
    I tried it or something similar on the Xbox but in the lower def you could barely read the text. On the Revo on HD it looks great.
    you can actually do HD skins and upscaled SD content on the xbox xbmc if you buy the component adapter instead of using the composite one (you can still get them on ebay afaik).

it upscales 350mb TV rips and 700mb dvdrips to 720p/1080i easily as well as my PS3 does (if not better, ironically), it just struggles to play native 720p content, although i've read that you can recode 720p a specific way to allow it to play those files fine although i've never actually tried to do it.

i think i've come to he point now though where i'm going to start to move to more HD content and the old xbox is going to get moved upstairs to our other 28" crt TV instead, so the R3610 looks like a great deal to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

Got one of the R3600 delivered on Monday, my brother put ubuntu on it for me yesterday, and I have to say I'm very happy with it:) Can access 4oD and the bbc player on it and can catch up on my favourite shows by other means;). Was considering getting a media player for ages but glad I spent the little extra and got this. Does exactly what I wanted it for

Edit-:o:o Was actually http://www.blinkbox.com/TV/Featured/FREE-TV that was already mentioned here that I meant not bbc player:o:o Scarleh

lindtee wrote: »
    Got one of the R3600 delivered on Monday, my brother put ubuntu on it for me yesterday, and I have to say I'm very happy with it:) Can access 4oD and the bcc player on it and can catch up on my favourite shows by other means;). Was considering getting a media player for ages but glad I spent the little extra and got this. Does exactly what I wanted it for

If you put Ubuntu on it can you still control it by remote control like you could by putting XBMC on it? I'm a little confused....I read the lifehacker post on putting XBMC on it and since I don't get much HD stuff decided to stick with my xbox.

If you put Ubuntu on it surely you can't use it as a media player under the TV because of the keyboard and mouse? I think I'm missing something here :o

• Advertisement
Advertisement