Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Attending Live Games

• 23-10-2009 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

Do many people attend live games on a weekly basics? Alot of people think they are big into football but there is nothing beter than watching your team live every week

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

popcorn.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I go to every home game the club I support plays.

I also attend away games when I can, which isn't too many as I work until 7pm Mon-Fri.

I agree with you OP.

Nothing, absolutely nothing, beats attending live football matches.

Not even HDTV with dubbed in chants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

stovelid wrote: »
    popcorn.jpg

Give me some popcorn and you can have this.

p32220_500.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

I go to a lot of my teams home games. I probably get to between 10-15 home league games a season. I'll also make some cup games, and some aways although not as many as I'd like.

and I agree, watching a game live is uncomparable to watching it on the TV, ufortunately so is the price difference!

I like all the football on telly, but prefer watching my own team live, even if you can sometimes miss bits of the action.

I go to all the home games and most of the Dublin away derbies. Only made two aways outside Dublin this season because of my kid which is a shame because they're even better fun sometimes.

It's great getting a 'wider view' of the game and you just can't beat the whole atmosphere.

The pint beforehand; walking to the stadium; seeing people you know - just the whole thing.

It's almost more than football, like a social thing really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

I attend all Rovers home game and go to the away games when possible. This season thats only been 4 but usually its more than that.

I also do agree. Absolutely nothing connects you to your clubs like live football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

I get to watch my team much less regularly now that I live in Ireland. Still go to any game thats on when im home.

What I do like doing is going to random LOI matches. Doesnt really matter who's playing, just need a fix of footie now and again. Trying to encourage more people to do it but my mates are really reluctant to go watch LOI.

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    Trying to encourage more people to do it but my mates are really reluctant to go watch LOI.

My neighbour went to Rovers last Tuesday after me going on about it for ages and not only did they get beaten and forfeit a 22 game unbeaten run, but it was probably one of the worst performances of the season. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

I go to every Wexford Youths home game, around half the away games, all the home U20s matches, every schoolboy match that my son plays in and any old pub side hacking a ball around that I might come across when out getting the Sunday papers. Not so keen on telly football anymore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Missed 4 games this whole season including friendlies, cup matches and the league, all 4 I have valid reasons as do why I couldn't go or in one case couldn't make it (don't rely on lifts to away matches:mad:). Takes me nearly aslong as a flight to England as it does for me to get to Tolka every week be it for a home match or to get a bus to an away match.

And as Des said

Not even HDTV with dubbed in chants

• Advertisement

stovelid wrote: »
    My neighbour went to Rovers last Tuesday after me going on about it for ages and not only did they get beaten and forfeit a 22 game unbeaten run, but it was probably one of the worst performances of the season. :o

Des did the same to me last week, recommended a game and dragged some people along. It wasnt the best ive ever been to :(

But anyone who will judge something like that over one game aint a footie fan anyway ;)

Im assuming that Pats is the only game on in Dublin tonight. May head along if im not out

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

I try and go over to as many games as I can but due to work commitments and sometimes money it doesn't always work out.
    But I agree there is nothing to beat going to watch your team live :)

Im assuming that Pats is the only game on in Dublin tonight. May head along if im not out

UCD are at home too, might head over to that myself if I ain't heading out, AnPost ticket ftw.:D

UCD are at home too, might head over to that myself if I ain't heading out, AnPost ticket ftw.:D

oh aye yeah, 'my team' having been to college there for 4 years. I hated the old stadium though and havent been there since the move to the bowl.

whats the anpost thing? was that if you pay bills or something you get free tix?

i guess you have a vested interest in that game too though

sorry if this is going OT

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Have only been to 3 United home games so far this season. Missed Arsenal and Sunderland at home due to holidays and Wolfsburg and Wolves at home because of work. Still trying to get away tickets, but it isn't easy! I'll probably be at 15 more home games before the end of the season depending on Uniteds results in the cup games.

I do go to the odd Dundalk game when I can afford to do so... Have been to 5 of their home games this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Des wrote: »
    I go to every home game the club I support plays.

I also attend away games when I can, which isn't too many as I work until 7pm Mon-Fri.

I agree with you OP.

Personally I'd rather watch The Wire at home, than attend a taping of Dan and Becs.

And yes, that is analogous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Go to all Rovers home games and some away ones , it's something to look forward to really.Tonight should be great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Neil3030 wrote: »

To a football on TV Watcher it is I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Personally I'd rather watch The Wire at home, than attend a taping of Dan and Becs.

I'd rather have sex than watch it on TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Go to United games once or twice a year(the father won't bring me to more than that:p).
    Hoping to get at least a half-season ticket, possibly a full on for Rovers next season 'cause live football is unbelievable compared to telly football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

To a football on TV Watcher it is I suppose.

Well most people call me Neil, you are more than welcome to join them.
    I'd rather have sex than watch it on TV.

Analogous indeed, if by that you mean having sex with Mary Harney over watching Cheryl Cole and Megan Foxx knock boots.

Each to their own!

oh aye yeah, 'my team' having been to college there for 4 years. I hated the old stadium though and havent been there since the move to the bowl.

whats the anpost thing? was that if you pay bills or something you get free tix?

i guess you have a vested interest in that game too though

sorry if this is going OT

The bowl is actually alright, didn't like Belfield Park myself.

Ye if you paid 2 bills through a post office you got a family ticket you could use as many times in October as you wanted. Yup vested interest indeed, not heading over myself now as I'm heading out but a few Shels fans I know are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Daddy whats a live game?

Go to the odd LOI game, don't live in London so can't see Chelsea too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

Wexler12 wrote: »
    Do many people attend live games on a weekly basics? Alot of people think they are big into football but there is nothing beter than watching your team live every week

maybe im the only one but I actually don't enjoy live games I prefer watching them on tv say what you want about it I dont enjoy them live. I'm a blackburn fan.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I'm a blackburn fan.

Makes sense so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Get over to as many Chelsea games as is physically possible (financially possible too), home or away, don't really matter, tho London is such a handy city to navigate.

Nothing beats the live atmosphere of a match tho. Cant compare to watching it on telly. Live match is so much better!

Personal Fave Moment: Deco's stunner against Sunderland in Stadium Of Light. Pity my seat was rubbish!!! About 2 miles from the pitch!

And CHD: Give me a shout if ya ever wanna go across to the Bridge for a game! It's great, and so easy to do!!!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Go to nearly all Bohs home and derby games

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Went to my first ever chelsea game last Feb.
    Finished 0-0!
    On my Birthday!
    And Scorlai got sacked the next day!
    Brilliant:P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I was in Buckley Park on a cold Tuesday night for a 0-0 draw that would still be 0-0 now on the same day as France v Spain in the World Cup. I could happily have watched that at home :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

maybe im the only one but I actually don't enjoy live games I prefer watching them on tv say what you want about it I dont enjoy them live. I'm a blackburn fan.

Fair enough but I am like a kid at Christmas when I know I am going over to Ibrox for a game I just love the whole thing and when I approach Ibrox parl I know my heart beats faster :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,882 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Wexler12 wrote: »

ice5xrow2l6p.gif?AWSAccessKeyId=0NEMFYTS5VQ806HF9CR2&Expires=1256326262&Signature=V1nnC5J2OmKI34MoW1hMDeSn%2BeA%3D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Agree with you there, can't beat live games. Do they actually dub in chants? I hope you're joking!
    Missed 4 games this whole season including friendlies, cup matches and the league, all 4 I have valid reasons as do why I couldn't go or in one case couldn't make it (don't rely on lifts to away matches:mad:). Takes me nearly aslong as a flight to England as it does for me to get to Tolka every week be it for a home match or to get a bus to an away match.
    Not as hardcore as you, but go to most home Shels games. Miss the odd one when I have other plans. Go to away dublin games.

Used to support an english team, went to a game once. Don't support them any more, don't even check their results! Also follow Juventus, went to a game earlier this year. Hard to go to every game!
    Also go to most Leinster home games. Although Shelbourne comes first when games clash. Have to say, going to Leinster games is a great experience compared to going to Tolka:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Playing does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

while in ireland i went to every drogs and villa home match that i could make, and had a season ticket for both clubs

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Going to Chelsea on wednesday for carling cup game. First game in about 10 years. My nearest LOI Team gave up a couple of years ago so it will be great to get the whole pre and post game buzz you get with live football.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Stekelly wrote: »
    Playing does.
    That's like comparing watching tv to acting in it, different experiences

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

That's like comparing watching tv to acting in it, different experiences

Anyone can go play football though. Theres a level for eveyone.

I've moved to playign Rugby since the start of this season but I still get most of my football enjoyment from the 2 or 3 games of 5 a side Iplay each week.

Stekelly wrote: »
    Playing does.

Let's not forget the Subbuteo experience too.

Wipes the floor with live games imo.

Advertisement