Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liver Fluke Control - Pour Ons

• 23-10-2009 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

Any advice or opinions here?? Takes the work out of the job but are they as effective as drenches?? What one are you using this winter??

Also I noticed a few animals coughing in the last week, any recommended treatment advice???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Rujib1

Any advice or opinions here?? Takes the work out of the job but are they as effective as drenches?? What one are you using this winter??

Also I noticed a few animals coughing in the last week, any recommended treatment advice???

The cattle coughing need to give up smoking :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

used injectable closamectin on year and a halves there a good while back, stopped them coughing anyway, it was just before the pour on was released, bought if from online crowd magenta.ie, good stuff i reckon anyway and got the little gun so easy to inject when in crush, pour on is obviously easier again but if worried use injectable version

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭wiggy123

used the closamectin pour on,few weeks back on my weanlings...they had a cough...will use it again..prob after i housed them--would that be good?
    and maybe do the cows..its a great job--easy to apply,etc..

think i read somewhere not to use on in calf cows or maybe cows near calving..not sure but check the literature

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭millertime78

Closamectin pour on - €164 a ltr with Magenta, must be savage margin on the stuff

Ivermectin Pour-on 2.5 Lt

Treats 50 x 500kg animals

Price: €85.00 (inc. VAT)

Big difference

• Advertisement

ya but ivermectin wont do fluke, closamectin is the only fluke pour on so it comes at a premium, get the injectable stuff, better value id say

must check that out, thought was ok--for all animals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

flukiver injectable does a great job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Remember also to do weanlings well before weaning (3 weeks before is ideal) as coughing up of the lung worms will only add to the stress of weaning.

..as said earlier a lot of these pour-on s don't cover fluke. I was using them for a year before I found out.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Dragous

the coughing up is probably due to worms in the lungs. closamectin pour on is dear but very good. they should be done a few weeks before housing, because if you do them after housing the dead lung worms can restrict their lungs leading to an increased risk of pneumonia. better to do them before housing and give them a chance to cough out the worms

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 sobs

think i read somewhere not to use on in calf cows or maybe cows near calving..not sure but check the literature

afaik it is safe to use 60 days or more before calving on non lactating cows. So really they would need to be dosed straight after drying off if they were to get 8 weeks break from milking

thanks or that advice..must check that out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

trodax is possibly the best fluke injection , a word of advice though , wear gloved or your hands will be orange for about a week

looked that up, it can be used on suckler cows at any stage of pregnancy, its just dairy cows being milked or cattle being slaughtered that need the withdrawl period

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭spoutwell

I did a 2 year old heifer with 'Verbamec' last April. She was out all last winter. By September she was swelled up under her neck with fluid even up over her tail. The vet gave me a fluke injection for her. She's still got swelling - I'm thinking of doing her again in a couple of weeks. Looks like you need to do them 6 weeks apart in the spring with the wet summers to control fluke.

Advertisement