Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public sector earnings up 3.2% in year to June

Options
  • 23-10-2009 1:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭

http://www.independent.ie/breaking-news/national-news/public-sector-earnings-up-32-in-year-to-june-1923217.html
    The Central Statistics Office says average weekly earnings in the all areas of the public sector excluding the health service increased by 3.2% in the 12 months up to June of this year.

The figure includes overtime payments and does not take account of deductions like tax, PRSI and the pension levy introduced by the Government earlier this year.

The CSO says average weekly earnings in the civil service rose by 4.7% during the 12-month period, while earnings in the defence sector were up 4.3% and earnings in An Garda Siochana fell by 3.1%.

In the four years up to June 2009, average weekly earnings across the public sector (excluding health) increased by just over 16%.

Elsewhere, the CSO says total employment numbers in the public service fell by 2,700 between June 2008 and June 2009

so much for "paycuts" we keep hearing about and strikes

the economy is now at 2004 levels (if not worse) while the public sector are getting larger paychecks still

discuss :D

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

More on the RTE business website
    Public pay up, but employment down
    Friday, 23 October 2009 12:38

Figures from the Central Statistics Office show that gross average weekly earnings in the public sector rose by 3.2% in the year to June.

The figures also show, for the first time, an annual decrease of 3,300 in the numbers employed in the public sector.

The figures published today by the CSO are for gross earnings and do not account for the impact of the pension levy or income levy. They show average earnings in the public sector, excluding health, rose by 3.2% in the year to June, to €973.09.
    Advertisement

The CSO also said that the number of people employed in the public sector in June was 259,300, a drop of 3,300 on the same period last year. These figures also exclude the health sector. There was a 900 drop in the civil service and a fall of 3,500 in the number of people employed in regional bodies. The education sector recorded a 2,200 increase in employment over the year.

A breakdown of the earnings figures showed that weekly earnings in the civil service rose at an annual rate of 4.7%, while the increase in defence was 4.3%. But the average for Gardaí fell 3.1% to €1,208.50 a week. When overtime was excluded, however, there was an average increase of 0.6% to €1,099.25 for Gardaí.

While it remains the subject of intense debate, it is difficult to draw comparisons with earnings in the private sector. The latest figures there, which date from April, show earnings falling by 11.1% in the financial sector but increasing by 6.1% in manufacturing.

Figures from the Central Statistics Office show that gross average weekly earnings in the public sector rose by 3.2% in the year to June.

The figures also show, for the first time, an annual decrease of 3,300 in the numbers employed in the public sector.

The figures published today by the CSO are for gross earnings and do not account for the impact of the pension levy or income levy. They show average earnings in the public sector, excluding health, rose by 3.2% in the year to June, to €973.09.

The CSO also said that the number of people employed in the public sector in June was 259,300, a drop of 3,300 on the same period last year. These figures also exclude the health sector. There was a 900 drop in the civil service and a fall of 3,500 in the number of people employed in regional bodies. The education sector recorded a 2,200 increase in employment over the year.

A breakdown of the earnings figures showed that weekly earnings in the civil service rose at an annual rate of 4.7%, while the increase in defence was 4.3%. But the average for Gardaí fell 3.1% to €1,208.50 a week. When overtime was excluded, however, there was an average increase of 0.6% to €1,099.25 for Gardaí.

While it remains the subject of intense debate, it is difficult to draw comparisons with earnings in the private sector. The latest figures there, which date from April, show earnings falling by 11.1% in the financial sector but increasing by 6.1% in manufacturing.

I wish I earned an average public sector wage :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Not for Nurse's. My wife is down 700 Euro's and now they want to take more.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    so much for "paycuts" we keep hearing about and strikes

The report clearly says that the pension levy has not been taken into account.
    the economy is now at 2004 levels (if not worse) while the public sector are getting larger paychecks still

discuss :D

A possibility: large numbers of temporary and contract staff have been "let go"; in general, they would have been lower-paid workers, so their being removed from the payroll would push the average up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

Excludes the pension levy; which has allowed Government to retain an additional 7.5% in salaries handed out.

Overtime is bound to be on the increase as staff retire. They're not going to be replaced so what else can they do to keep current levels of service?

EDIT: I'm in the PS for nearly four years and I'm nowhere near the average PS wage. Wish I had it! As for the Garda average salary - bear in mind they're not referring to just the Garda on the beat; but every other rank up to and including Commissioner.

Sorry, that's 700 a month

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

I dont know how they can say that salaries have risen in the year to June 09. As a CS the last pay rise I got was in Mar 08 (2.5%) Havnt gotten any extra money since then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

The report clearly says that the pension levy has not been taken into account.

A possibility: large numbers of temporary and contract staff have been "let go"; in general, they would have been lower-paid workers, so their being removed from the payroll would push the average up.

interesting perspective there

yes thats trouble with statistics ;) so many variables can be left out

report excludes health sector

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭graduate

I dont know how they can say that salaries have risen in the year to June 09. As a CS the last pay rise I got was in Mar 08 (2.5%)

Some people did receive their pay increase (from this old cycle of increases) after June.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Rob67

The pay increase is probably the one awarded as part of the last partnership agreement and was paid out Sept 2008. There were no further increases in pay for rank and file CS, PS personnel but a special award was given to higher PS in Feb/Mar this year.

It should be remembered that these figures do not take into account the income levy (08 budget), the PS pay freeze and Pension Levy (Apr 09 budget).

As to overtime payments, members of the Defence Forces do not receive overtime payments, so I can only assume the overtime would be in relation to CS personnel in the Dept of Defence and the Gardai (due to not having enough members, those that remain have to provide the same amount of cover).

But please, feel free to release the vitriol against the PS, if it makes you feel better.

interesting perspective there

yes thats trouble with statistics ;) so many variables can be left out

report excludes health sector
    Ya , but the media is making it sound like it's across the board just like they did with the bonuses. My wife has never received a bonus. Her sister works in the private sector and gets an 8 grand bonus at christmas, a company car with free diesel and medical benefits. Four years at university and all my wife gets is abuse from the public that she's over payed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭ceret

what's interesting is that means the *average* public sector worker is on €50K per year (average of €973 per week x 52 weeks).

For the record the CSO document is here: http://www.cso.ie/releasespublications/documents/earnings/current/psempearn.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

If the company I work for was borrowing money to keep paying my wages I'd be worried.

If the people at the helm then caved into my demand to be paid even more under such circumstances...

well ... you don't need to be a business consultant to know what comes next, do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Another day, another strategically designed pre-budget report with eye-catching headlines that distorts the current situation in relation to public sector pay.

Ya , but the media is making it sound like it's across the board just like they did with the bonuses. My wife has never received a bonus. Her sister works in the private sector and gets an 8 grand bonus at christmas, a company car with free diesel and medical benefits. Four years at university and all my wife gets is abuse from the public that she's over payed.

i do realize there is warping being done here, and the indo have their own agenda

just a simple question

if the public sector have it so bad as you make out

why not quit a and get a job in the private sector?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭kippy

i do realize there is warping being done here, and the indo have their own agenda

just a simple question

T

Thats what I would recommend also.
    Always review your work situation, if you believe you can do better elsewhere, make a plan to get to that place.

Anyway, I have to say, I am getting sick of the one sided reporting from the indo.
    I would like to see the figures in relation to public sector net pay (what it actually costs the government to pay the public sector) as opposed to gross. But that figure wouldnt make good headlines.
    What P Breathnach said there also makes slight sense but perhaps this has been account for in the figures, who knows really.
    The only increased in the Public sector have been via increments in the past couple of years (not a system I have ever agreed with and think it should be scrapped for proper performance review) but those have been wiped out with the pensions levy and various other taxes.
    Yeah, the Public service are in for another 5-10% cut in earnings in Jan, and its needed, of course, but the concerted efforts of some papers to turn people against people is just pure wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Twin-go

Excludes the pension levy; which has allowed Government to retain an additional 7.5% in salaries handed out.

Overtime is bound to be on the increase as staff retire. They're not going to be replaced so what else can they do to keep current levels of service?

EDIT: I'm in the PS for nearly four years and I'm nowhere near the average PS wage. Wish I had it! As for the Garda average salary - bear in mind they're not referring to just the Garda on the beat; but every other rank up to and including Commissioner.

Work a 40hr week like the rest of us?:p

just a simple question

Well, that's what was happening a few years ago. Nurses were leaving to go into the private sector. There was a huge drive to bring in foreign nurses from overseas like the Philippines and India to fill the gap. A friend of hers went to work for Google and another went to work for a drug company. The only thing that kept my wife from leaving was the fact that she actually likes nursing, but she was temped to go.

Well, that's what was happening a few years ago. Nurses were leaving to go into the privet sector. There was a huge drive to bring in foreign nurses from overseas like the Philippines and India to fill the gap. A friend of hers went to work for Google and another went to work for a drug company. The only thing that kept my wife from leaving was the fact that she actually likes nursing, but she was temped to go.

and she should

but theres no job security and no nice pension packages

and more than often no trade unions allowed

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭shapez

ceret wrote: »
    what's interesting is that means the *average* public sector worker is on €50K per year (average of €973 per week x 52 weeks).

For the record the CSO document is here: http://www.cso.ie/releasespublications/documents/earnings/current/psempearn.pdf

And does it tell you how long it took for a public sector employee to get to that wage?? I'm 10 years working in the public sector and I worked damn hard to get to the level of pay I'm making after 10 years.

When I first got my job 10 years ago in the public sector, I was laughed at by people I studied with in college when they were getting jobs at the time, saying that "Oh, I'm making 25-30k more than what you make!!", "I get a bonus of 5-8k at Xmas!!", "I get a free car, a phone, laptop, etc." It didn't bother me at all, I wanted security in my job. So, after 10 years in the public sector, I'm making what a private sector person was making 10 years ago.

Some of you here need to realise this, because basically you don't stop to think about what the public sector pay was like 10 years ago. My pay has been cut too, with levies and what else. I'm not being selfish, I'm feeling the pinch too, but I remember when I was laughed at 10 years ago and I still have my job today.

shapez wrote: »
    And does it tell you how long it took for a public sector employee to get to that wage?? I'm 10 years working in the public sector and I worked damn hard to get to the level of pay I'm making after 10 years.

When I first got my job 10 years ago in the public sector, I was laughed at by people I studied with in college when they were getting jobs at the time, saying that "Oh, I'm making 25-30k more than what you make!!", "I get a bonus of 5-8k at Xmas!!", "I get a free car, a phone, laptop, etc." It didn't bother me at all, I wanted security in my job. So, after 10 years in the public sector, I'm making what a private sector person was making 10 years ago.

Some of you here need to realise this, because basically you don't stop to think about what the public sector pay was like 10 years ago. My pay has been cut too, with levies and what else. I'm not being selfish, I'm feeling the pinch too, but I remember when I was laughed at 10 years ago and I still have my job today.

your forgetting to mention

that in that time you got benchmarked up in salary

while no productivity improved

and now that the private sector is down, no one is calling for reverse benchmarking

• Advertisement

and she should

but theres no job security and no nice pension packages

and more than often no trade unions allowed
    And, she has a career that is highly exportable to anywhere in the world. If Ireland wants to pay nurse's peanuts then they will leave to greener pastures and this country will be left with monkeys. I wouldn't want to get sick here if that happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

... and now that the private sector is down, no one is calling for reverse benchmarking

I don't think that is true, except that using the adjective "reverse" is redundant.

I have suggested here that a new round of benchmarking would be a good idea, and I am far from alone in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Arathorn

Average pay for a Guard is over a grand a week? really?

I'm actually shocked at that

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Rob67

just a simple question

I did, left the Army to get work that paid me what I'm worth. Thankfully, I'm doing quite well too!

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭shapez

your forgetting to mention

that in that time you got benchmarked up in salary

while no productivity improved

and now that the private sector is down, no one is calling for reverse benchmarking

You right we did. But those who were at the top end of scales got well looked after instead of the people at the lower end of the scale. If I remember correctly at the time I gaining an extra 0.75%!! It was all based what level of the pay scale people were on and as I said those at the top continued to get a nice top up.

It wasn't sweet and wholesome for everyone at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Boo2009

I work in the PS and don't know how they can say pay has gone up. Pay has been cut and staff that are leaving are not being replaced so we're doing their work as well as our own for the less pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

Twin-go wrote: »
    Work a 40hr week like the rest of us?:p

My work week = 42.5 hours minimum. No OT for any additional time worked. :p

The stats released from the Indo are always going to be skewed. Also, averages are a bad indication of salaries in the PS as it includes all those at the top on 100K+ who don't represent value for money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

shapez wrote: »

always amuses me how like clones to the last man and woman , public sector workers regurgitate the same old banners and slogans , WE DIDNT CAUSE THIS MESS , THE PRIVATE SECTOR CREAMED IT DURING THE BOOM and in your case , THOSE IN THE PRIVATE SECTOR LAUGHED AT ME JOINING THE PUBLIC SECTOR

i swear to jaysus , every single last one of them must have attended some form of tuition camp at the begining of this year where they were briefed by messrs begg and o,connor on what buzzwords to use , not an independant thought among them

And, she has a career that is highly exportable to anywhere in the world. If Ireland wants to pay nurse's peanuts then they will leave to greener pastures and this country will be left with monkeys. I wouldn't want to get sick here if that happens.

complete hogwash , , name one country where nurses earn more than in ireland , in the uk they earn at least 30% less , i have a cousin in wales who has been a male nurse since 1987 , this year he will earn 33 k sterling , thats only a few grand more than a nurse starts off on here

• Advertisement

Arathorn wrote: »
    Average pay for a Guard is over a grand a week? really?

I'm actually shocked at that

1200 to be prescise and thats before over time and remember , thier is only one commisioner , the average nurse also earns on average a grand a week , many nurses who are over ten years in the job often earn close to seventy grand a year , i know this for a fact

Advertisement