Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public sector earnings up 3.2% in year to June

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

irish_bob wrote: »
    for working the night shift at weekends , nurses often take home 400 quid , for one night :eek:
    Isn't that the contract rate charged by the private sector?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

always amuses me how like clones to the last man and woman , public sector workers regurgitate the same old banners and slogans , WE DIDNT CAUSE THIS MESS , THE PRIVATE SECTOR CREAMED IT DURING THE BOOM and in your case , THOSE IN THE PRIVATE SECTOR LAUGHED AT ME JOINING THE PUBLIC SECTOR

i swear to jaysus , every single last one of them must have attended some form of tuition camp at the begining of this year where they were briefed by messrs begg and o,connor on what buzzwords to use , not an independant thought among them

We've had plenty of practice thanks to Eddie Hobbs, Central Bank, Bord Snip, ESRI x 10, Irish Independent, IBEC, Jimmy x 1,000 ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

complete hogwash , , name one country where nurses earn more than in ireland

ok

Saudi Arabia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

i swear to jaysus , every single last one of them must have attended some form of tuition camp at the begining of this year where they were briefed by messrs begg and o,connor on what buzzwords to use , not an independant thought among them

but Begg and O'Connor represent more private sector workers than public sector workers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

complete hogwash , , name one country where nurses earn more than in ireland , in the uk they earn at least 30% less , i have a cousin in wales who has been a male nurse since 1987 , this year he will earn 33 k sterling , thats only a few grand more than a nurse starts off on here
    Saudi Arabia not only pays more, it's tax free. Canada and Australia are screaming out for nurse's especially one's that are specialized. The pay would be about the same but, the cost of living would be a lot less there.

• Advertisement

mikemac wrote: »
    Hey no problem
    Can be replaced by dedicated by hard-working and very proficient Filipino nurses who are happy to do the job in Ireland at the rates that the Government set

So feel free to emigrate (not you, the person you're posting about)

Philippino nurse's meet the same high standers as Irish nurses. They're not going to work for peanuts. They'll move on too. Ireland will then either need to close hospitals or lower the bar and let nurses in from third world countries with questionable training.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭itsallaboutme!!

Arathorn wrote: »
    Average pay for a Guard is over a grand a week? really?

I'm actually shocked at that

I'm shocked at that too!! Id love to meet the Garda who is making that much and ask them how they are getting that much coz im getting nowhere near it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

EF wrote: »
    We've had plenty of practice thanks to Eddie Hobbs, Central Bank, Bord Snip, ESRI x 10, Irish Independent, IBEC, Jimmy x 1,000 ;)

your refering to researched fact

i am talking about recycled union indoctrinated propoganda

and i feel its unfair to bring up jimmy seeing that he is presently banned , interesting how the one who repeatedly called him a liar escaped without so much as a warning though

Saudi Arabia not only pays more, it's tax free. Canada and Australia are screaming out for nurse's especially one's that are specialized. The pay would be about the same but, the cost of living would be a lot less there.

nurses pay in australia is about half of what it is here , a rank and file police officer in australia also earns half what they do here , pay in canada is higher than in australia but still considerably less than in ireland

very few would want to move to saudi arabia , other than making money , you spend most of your time making sure you dont offend the delicate sensibilties of the religous police , that and avoiding sun stroke

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Matthew712

Remember: There's Lies, Damn Lies and Statistics
    The truth behind the Statistics: (1) The economic situation has forced many people on high increment levels who were on career break to return, thus displacing many temps on the lower increments. (2) Last year was a 53 week year, and by comparison to the year before (a 52 week year) is a 2% change (increase). (3) A reduction in normal staff can cause overtime, which is more expensive than normal time. (4) Why is health left out? If health was included would the figures not have helped the lie? (5) We have an ageing population -- so increased pension and health costs (predictably 60 years ago), we have massive growth in the youth population which is now feeding into schools (predictably 4 - 12 years ago) -- so more teachers needed --so who lowered the pupil teacher ratio?, the massive increase in unemployment has forced increases in the numbers in social welfare. -- so more staff

• Advertisement

I'm shocked at that too!! Id love to meet the Garda who is making that much and ask them how they are getting that much coz im getting nowhere near it!!

how could you have known , its not like our left wing , public sector friendly state broadcaster would ever feel the need to let you know , your only a tax payer afterall

ps , thats a grand a week before over time

nurses pay in australia is about half of what it is here , a rank and file police officer in australia also earns half what they do here , pay in canada is higher than in australia but still considerably less than in ireland

e

Source?

Source?

a cousin in australia who is in the police and another who is a nurse , i also have realives in canada though none who are either nurses or police , im not good at dragging up files and the like but if you feel that strongly about my post , drag one up yourself and proove me wrong

before over time
    What's the rate of tax, levies, PRSI and pension levy on the overtime?

very few would want to move to saudi arabia , other than making money , you spend most of your time making sure you dont offend the delicate sensibilties of the religous police , that and avoiding sun stroke

No one moves to Saudia Arabia. They make a lot of money then move on. We know a few nurse's that worked out there for four to five years then bought a house outright in Australia. It sounds like a plan to me if the government goes along with another pay cut.

a cousin in australia who is in the police and another who is a nurse , i also have realives in canada though none who are either nurses or police , im not good at dragging up files and the like but if you feel that strongly about my post , drag one up yourself and proove me wrong
    It's about the same as here with the bonus of a lower cost of living. Not to mention you can get an actual summer out there. http://www.payscale.com/research/AU/Job=Registered_Nurse_(RN)/Salary
    http://www.payscale.com/research/IE/Job=Registered_Nurse_(RN)/Salary

I remember the 80's when the public sector was asked to make scarifices for the good of the country (while it was shown on mature reflection that billions of wealtha was hidden off shore) so that a cake could be made. in the late 90's when the cake materialised (thanks to the sacrifices made and later due to the fact that the wealthy's wealth was found out -- remember tax amnesty 1 and 2 and 3) the public sector was told "Wait! you didn't make the cake, wait for crumbs (benchmarking), there isn't enough cake to go around (remember you have it good in the bad times). But when the bubble bust -- the tune changed -- nothing suprising -- 1st companys folded to evade tax, massive shift by private sector to tax evasion (black hole as it was called in the early 80's) Then the cry for the public sector to make sacrifices to save the country and lay the foundations for a new cake. It was drummed into me while I was underpaid during the Celtic tiger that "I have it good it the bad times" by yuppies who never even experienced the bad times. So I should say "roll on the bad times and long may they last"?

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Arathorn

What's the rate of tax, levies, PRSI and pension levy on the overtime?

Tax, levies and prsi will be the same as every other worker.

Yes the pension levy is extra and i'm aware that this is seen as a pay cut, but if private sector workers had a chance to pay this for the pension they would get they would jump at the chance.

Private sector have always had the chance of paying at pension, it just a simple fact that because they had a choice, they joined late - so to get the same benefits payings over a shorter time - they must pay more. Public sector culture was to join pension scheme very early, at later they had no choice but to join.
    If private sector pensions are bad, is the answer to make public sector pensions bad too, or to make private sector pensions as good as public sector pensions?
    Public sector pensions are good because of long contributions (starting from the time the person joined work, not when they realised the tunnel had at end)

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Arathorn

Matthew712 wrote: »
    Private sector have always had the chance of paying at pension, it just a simple fact that because they had a choice, they joined late - so to get the same benefits payings over a shorter time - they must pay more. Public sector culture was to join pension scheme very early, at later they had no choice but to join.
    If private sector pensions are bad, is the answer to make public sector pensions bad too, or to make private sector pensions as good as public sector pensions?
    Public sector pensions are good because of long contributions (starting from the time the person joined work, not when they realised the tunnel had at end)

You might want to do some more research, public sector pensions aren't better just because they are paid into longer than private pensions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

im not good at dragging up files and the like but if you feel that strongly about my post , drag one up yourself and proove me wrong

Forum rule, when you post a "fact" you should be able to back it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭bangersandmash

Matthew712 wrote: »
    I remember the 80's when the public sector was asked to make scarifices for the good of the country (while it was shown on mature reflection that billions of wealtha was hidden off shore) so that a cake could be made.
    I'd agree with your general argument in some respects, but your recollection seems a little skewed. PAYE workers were fed the same lines by governments of either persuasion in the 1980s, but in my view bore a greater extent of the pain at the time "for the good of the country". Neither the typical PAYE worker nor the typical public sector worker enjoyed the conveniences of off-shore accounts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭johnathan woss

Yes the pension levy is extra and i'm aware that this is seen as a pay cut, but if private sector workers had a chance to pay this for the pension they would get they would jump at the chance.

This pension argument is nonsense.

Most ps workers will NEVER see the pension they have paid into.
    The country is broke now, how will it magically pay these pensions in the future?

The pension levy is a paycut, plain and simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 peter_de_tool

The Celtic Tiger produced a bloated and overpaid public sector detached from the reality, which the private sector has endured. The Government has allowed this cancer to grow around the nation’s neck. Now the public unions are refusing to accept cuts to a public wage bill the country can no longer afford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭aftermn

Have had it with all this public V private sector rubbish.

The same survey stated that manufacturing earnings rose by 6%, and they had no pension levy, is this a justification for the strikes?

Another survey published recently states that 20% of companies in the private sector have enforced pay cuts. Does this mean that 80% have not?

We are being fed, used, maybe abused.

Wage rates agreed in the boom are now out of kilter. Agreed. But employment contracts were not the only contracts agreed during the boom. They are also not the only contracts which are now out of kilter.

Are the other contracts, now out of kilter, also subject to the rush to reduce?

So, the overtime is taxed/levied.pRSI'd at 50% plus pension levy of 7.5%, that's 57.5%?

So, the worker makes 100 euro in overtime, gets 42.50 and then pays a further 21.5% VAT when he/she spends it, leaving 33.36 as the net cost to the state?

The pension itself is only reckoned on basic pay. So, the staff member will come to with an amount equal to the old page pension with adult dependent. Same deal as for a private sector worker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

aftermn wrote: »
    Have had it with all this public V private sector rubbish.

The same survey stated that manufacturing earnings rose by 6%, and they had no pension levy, is this a justification for the strikes?

Another survey published recently states that 20% of companies in the private sector have enforced pay cuts. Does this mean that 80% have not?

We are being fed, used, maybe abused.

Wage rates agreed in the boom are now out of kilter. Agreed. But employment contracts were not the only contracts agreed during the boom. They are also not the only contracts which are now out of kilter.

Are the other contracts, now out of kilter, also subject to the rush to reduce?

there's no recession depression

its all a lie

its business as usual in the public sector i see

keep at it lads, yee are in denial stage now
    but yours children as well will be paying for your mess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭johnathan woss

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    there's no recession depression

its all a lie

its business as usual in the public sector i see

keep at it lads, yee are in denial stage now
    but yours children as well will be paying for your mess

The average ps worker caused this mess did they ?

Baa baa what's it like being a sheep ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

The average ps worker caused this mess did they ?
    Some more so than others. The people who made government policy and implemented it ( the politicians and the regulator and central bank ) steered the ship in to these waters. They were all public service / paid by the government.
    Our government is have to borrow so much now because it is paying so much to so many . Our average public service pay is the highest in the known world ( or "planet" as the great Eddie Hobbs said ).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

jimmmy wrote: »
    ... the great Eddie Hobbs ...

Things are worse than I thought: there is even a shortage of true heroes.

Advertisement