Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public sector earnings up 3.2% in year to June

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

Things are worse than I thought: there is even a shortage of true heroes.

Never mind a hero : just someone who studied the facts and reveals what you do not want to hear. ;)
    Yes, the man who had the guts on RTE to say that the average Irish public sector wage is the highest on "the planet". The man who on the RTE frontline programme ( Pat Kenny's) a few weeks ago said a Guard would need to be paying 48% of his / her salary in to his / her pension if he / she was to be paying the full economic cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

jimmmy wrote: »
    Our government is have to borrow so much now because it is paying so much to so many . Our average public service pay is the highest in the known world ( or "planet" as the great Eddie Hobbs said ).

Are you in some kind of Eddie Hobbs cult? Why do you need to put 'great' before his name?

No O I am not in his cult. I just have respect for the man after he had the balls to tell the truth. Why, what is it he said you do not agree with ? Do you think the average Irish public sector wage is not the highest average public sector wage on "the planet".

No O I am not in his cult. I just have respect for the man after he had the balls to tell the truth. Why, what is it he said you do not agree with ? Do you think the average Irish public sector wage is not the highest average public sector wage on "the planet".

I do not know if the average Irish public sector wage is the highest on the planet. But I know for sure, that I will not be taking Eddie Hobbs word on it.

He is not very credible. Ever hear of Brendan Investments? Ever hear about the prices he charges to give financial advice to people in financial difficulty? The man has an agenda.

If you can provide a link or some statistics showing that we have the highest public sector wages in the world, please do so. Hearsay is not good enough.

#15 wrote: »
    I do not know if the average Irish public sector wage is the highest on the planet.

I thought you were a teacher, you knew everything:rolleyes:?

There was a seperate thread on this subject. The statistics from many other countries were examined. It is so easy to do with modern technology. The result was consistent with the various reports in the media suspecting the average Irish public service pay of being the highest in the world. Find a country with a higher average public sector pay if you can. If you find a man higher than the tallest man in the guinness book of records, you can correct that record too.

• Advertisement

I thought you were a teacher, you knew everything:rolleyes:?

No, I never claimed to know everything. Thanks for misrepresenting me. Wasn't it stuff like that which led to your recent banning?

There was a seperate thread on this subject. The statistics from many other countries were examined. It is so easy to do with modern technology. The result was consistent with the various reports in the media suspecting the average Irish public service pay of being the highest in the world. Find a country with a higher average public sector pay if you can. If you find a man higher than the tallest man in the guinness book of records, you can correct that record too.

You are the one making the claim, the onus is on you to provide the statistics.

I have said that I don't know one way or the other, you may well be correct.

If it is so easy to find this info, can you please just post it here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

The average ps worker caused this mess did they ?

Baa baa what's it like being a sheep ?

if a house is burning down, do you argue about who started the fire or do you do something about the fire?

you'll be "baaaa'ing" once the IMF take the knife out on yee :(

and last i checked the government are part of the public sector, so yes some of yee are responsible for this mess, and all of yee reaped great wage increases in the boom years

now that the money from construction sector is gone for good. how do you suppose the same salary levels are gonna be kept? more borrowing??

The average ps worker caused this mess did they ?

To be fair, the average private sector worker didn't cause this either. We're all stuck with the mess. There does need to be some cost-cutting in the public sector.

You are the one making the claim, the onus is on you to provide the statistics.

I have said that I don't know one way or the other, you may well be correct.

If it is so easy to find this info, can you please just post it here?

Still waiting for these statistics Jimmy.

To be fair, the average private sector worker didn't cause this either. We're all stuck with the mess. There does need to be some cost-cutting in the public sector.
    Agree with you there. Just as I would state the pay rates for some private sector people should come down. eg accountants, doctors, dentists etc.

• Advertisement

Still waiting for these statistics Jimmy.
    See the other thread if you want to go off on that tangent. There are statistics there.
    "The statistics from many other countries were examined. It is so easy to do with modern technology. The result was consistent with the various reports in the media suspecting the average Irish public service pay of being the highest in the world. Find a country with a higher average public sector pay if you can. If you find a man higher than the tallest man in the guinness book of records, you can correct that record too. "

See the other thread if you want to go off on that tangent. There are statistics there.
    "The statistics from many other countries were examined. It is so easy to do with modern technology. The result was consistent with the various reports in the media suspecting the average Irish public service pay of being the highest in the world. Find a country with a higher average public sector pay if you can. If you find a man higher than the tallest man in the guinness book of records, you can correct that record too. "

Can you give me a link like I have done for you on countless threads?
    I haven't time to be searching through threads on a wild goose chase.

You claim to know the stats, it will take a few seconds to post the link.

Thanks.

Can you give me a link like I have done for you on countless threads?

Thanks.
    paperclip.gif subscribed.gifIs the Irish Public Service the highest paid in the world ? (multipage.gif1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page)

You just posted a link to a thread. Do you understand what I said? I said:

Can you give me a direct link to statistics, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭elDiablo79

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/breaking-news/national-news/public-sector-earnings-up-32-in-year-to-june-1923217.html

so much for "paycuts" we keep hearing about and strikes

the economy is now at 2004 levels (if not worse) while the public sector are getting larger paychecks still

discuss :D

Do u believe eveything u read???? The way everyone is going on you would swear that its the public servants who are to blame for the state this country is in. Least that is the impression the government is portraying to cover their own arses and its working cos now most the country is caught up this bitterness towards public servants. Brainwashed. The government got us into this mess stil half u idiots probly voted for them in the first place. Paychecks getting larger? wtf???????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

elDiablo79 wrote: »
    Do u believe eveything u read???? The way everyone is going on you would swear that its the public servants who are to blame for the state this country is in. Least that is the impression the government is portraying to cover their own arses and its working cos now most the country is caught up this bitterness towards public servants. Brainwashed. The government got us into this mess stil half u idiots probly voted for them in the first place. Paychecks getting larger? wtf???????

actually even if your paycheck doesn't change this year and stays static

thanks to deflation you are 6+% richer

oh and read the whole thread, i clearly stated in this thread that i take indo's headlines with a grain of salt

As a teacher you should be capable of doing at least a little bit of research yourself. In the thread I gave you you will see the statistics of public service pay in many other countries. Many people, including some public servants, have sought to find a country in the world with a public sector whose average pay is higher than the average public sector pay here. Nobody can find such a country - even though it would suit the public sector enormously if they could. Why do you think that is ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭gerry28

The pension levy is a paycut, plain and simple.

I think the government should just rename the pension levy as a paycut and take it out of all PS wages.

Thats what is is in effect anyway - this way there would be no more word games and it would be a recognised paycut by all.

[]As a teacher you should be capable of doing at least a little bit of research yourself.

I also have a history degree, I'm quite capable of researching. Obviously you aren't.

In the thread I gave you you will see the statistics of public service pay in many other countries. Many people, including some public servants, have sought to find a country in the world with a public sector whose average pay is higher than the average public sector pay here. Nobody can find such a country - even though it would suit the public sector enormously if they could. Why do you think that is ?

We had this discussion last week, I'm not going over it again. We know the reasons why pay was so high here. We also know a cut is needed.

We know the reasons why pay was so high here. We also know a cut is needed.
    good.

• Advertisement

gerry28 wrote: »
    I think the government should just rename the pension levy as a paycut and take it out of all PS wages.

Thats what is is in effect anyway - this way there would be no more word games and it would be a recognised paycut by all.
    One advantage of " just rename the pension levy as a paycut and take it out of all PS wages." would be that public service pensions would have fallen months ago. Instead they did not. Do you not think if you had a paycut the public service pensions should have had one as well ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

As a teacher you should be capable of doing at least a little bit of research yourself. ...

It is quite inappropriate to make such a post.

First, #15 disclosed his or her occupation in the interests of fair disclosure, not for you to try to use it in such a manner. Second, it is hypocricy to demand that others do research when you do so little yourself (quoting Eddie Hobbs doesn't count for much).

I gave him a thread which had statistics in it, he / she was too lazy to look at it.
    "In the thread I gave you you will see the statistics of public service pay in many other countries. Many people, including some public servants, have sought to find a country in the world with a public sector whose average pay is higher than the average public sector pay here. Nobody can find such a country - even though it would suit the public sector enormously if they could. Why do you think that is ? "

I gave him a thread which had statistics in it, he / she was too lazy to look at it.
    "In the thread I gave you you will see the statistics of public service pay in many other countries. Many people, including some public servants, have sought to find a country in the world with a public sector whose average pay is higher than the average public sector pay here. Nobody can find such a country - even though it would suit the public sector enormously if they could. Why do you think that is ? "

No, I asked for statistics. You failed to post them.

Haven't time to be searching through whole threads full of your brain farts.

Nothing to do with being lazy.

Even the great Eddie Hobbs does more than provide links to threads.

Haven't time to be searching through whole threads full of your brain farts.
    There were countless links to statistics on the very thread whose link I gave you. Take your pick if you want statistics. If you want something to do you could try to find a country in the world whose averge public sector pay is higher than Irelands. Countless other people have tried, including some public service people. Our p.s. pay statistics are on the Central Statistics Office ( CSO ) website, whose link was reproduced in countless posts. I bet you cannot find a country in the world with a higher paid public service. There may be one, but I doubt it. ( a few of the African countries are given the benefit of the doubt, as their statistics cannot be extracted ).

If you find a man who height exceeds that of the tallest man listed in the Guinness book of records, he can claim the title of the worlds tallest man. Until then, its safe enough to assume the Guinness book of records is correct, even though they have not measured every man in the world ( 3 billion males ? )

I wonder would the Guinness book of records be interested in verifing and indeed possibly listing our world record ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

If you want something to do you could try to find a country in the world whose averge public sector pay is higher than Irelands.

It's a forum rule that if you post "facts" you should be able to back them up.

Stats please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 peter_de_tool

Traditionally public sector workers were less well paid than their private sector workers. This was to reflect the value of the gold-plated pensions public-sector workers received and their bullet-proof job security. In recent years, the traditional order has been turned on its head. A series of sweetheart deals between the Government and the public sector trade unions -- most notoriously the 2002 benchmarking boondoggle which boosted average public-sector pay by almost 9pc -- has widened the pay gap to obscene proportions. Depending on who's doing the counting, public-sector workers now earn somewhere between 25pc and 47pc more than private-sector workers.
    The words state bankruptcy, borrowing, unemployment, trade deficits, balance of payments, social welfare, obviously mean nothing inside the Cloud Cukoo-land world of the public sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

Traditionally public sector workers were less well paid than their private sector workers. This was to reflect the value of the gold-plated pensions public-sector workers received and their bullet-proof job security. In recent years, the traditional order has been turned on its head. A series of sweetheart deals between the Government and the public sector trade unions -- most notoriously the 2002 benchmarking boondoggle which boosted average public-sector pay by almost 9pc -- has widened the pay gap to obscene proportions. Depending on who's doing the counting, public-sector workers now earn somewhere between 25pc and 47pc more than private-sector workers.
    The words state bankruptcy, borrowing, unemployment, trade deficits, balance of payments, social welfare, obviously mean nothing inside the Cloud Cukoo-land world of the public sector.

One 9pc increase has increased the difference to "obscene" proportions, while the "pension levy" has decreased it to "normal" proportions.

Man, the level of ignorance around the public sector pay issue is embarressing.

Can 1 person, just 1 person outside of me do the calculations please.

Just 1, please.

Gold plated pensions? Are you a tabloid newspaper by any chance?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 peter_de_tool

If you wish to guage the levels public sector pay for yourself check the following websites for the following: public jobs, INO, GRA, TUI. compare pay scales on the N.U.T (UK TEACHERS) website with their Irish counterparts. Please note teachers in the UK recieve significantly less hollidays (1month) than their Irish colleagues.

The extents to which pay levels in Ireland have exceeded the norms are quite staggering. Irish teachers are paid 54 per cent more than those in Finland. Finland's school system is ranked among the top three in the world, while Ireland does not make it into the top 20.Finland is one of the world's most competitive countries. The pay gap with France is even greater:

"French school teachers receive 75 per cent less take-home pay than their Irish counterparts. Similar anomalies exist right across the public sector."

P.S. I am a ex-lecturer, who has being working in the private sector for the last twelve years.

Advertisement