Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public sector earnings up 3.2% in year to June

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

P.S. I am a ex-lecturer, who has being working in the private sector for the last twelve years.

I presume you don't lecture in English.

Why did you leave the public sector to work in the private sector if it was so well paid and cushy?

Too well paid and cushy I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 peter_de_tool

dresden8 wrote: »
    I presume you don't lecture in English.

Why did you leave the public sector to work in the private sector if it was so well paid and cushy?

Too well paid and cushy I suppose.
    No Engineering smart a**e,

I did not foresee salary levels increasing to current levels

industrial experience.

The property boom financed public sector spending, something that should never have happened as it was unsustainable. This allowed the Government to increase public sector worker numbers, give large pay increases and bonuses.
    If there had been no property boom, public sector workers would not be in such a privileged position as they are in now. We simply wouldn't have been able to afford it, and we can't afford it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

... "French school teachers receive 75 per cent less take-home pay than their Irish counterparts...

Citation, please. I find it difficult to believe that a French school teacher takes home only a quarter as much as an Irish school teacher does.

Citation, please. I find it difficult to believe that a French school teacher takes home only a quarter as much as an Irish school teacher does.

eurozone-teachers-salaries.png

Duh!!!!!!!
    Irish teachers earn 75% more than french teachers, i.e Irish teachers earn 1.75 Times a french teachers salary, not 4 times.

• Advertisement

eurozone-teachers-days-worked-2.png

The extents to which pay levels in Ireland have exceeded the norms are quite staggering. Irish teachers are paid 54 per cent more than those in Finland. Finland's school system is ranked among the top three in the world, while Ireland does not make it into the top 20.Finland is one of the world's most competitive countries.

To wrap up the Irish tax payer, is getting a very poor value their money.

To wrap up the Irish tax payer, is getting a very poor value their money.

Pictures don't really tell the story, particularly if it is not clear what the basis of those pictures is.

I went to Education at a Glance, an OECD comparative study, published each year (http://www.oecd.org/document/9/0,3343,en_2649_39263238_41266761_1_1_1_1,00.html) and found fairly recent data, that for 2006. They convert pay to USD equivalent using PPPs, which means that it can be argued to be a fairer comparison.

Top pay on that basis for an Irish teacher with minimum qualifications is 55132; for a French teacher with minimum qualifications it is 49155; the top rate for Finland is 53867.

Duh!!!!!!!
    Irish teachers earn 75% more than french teachers, i.e Irish teachers earn 1.75 Times a french teachers salary, not 4 times.

I did cop on to the error, but it alerted me to the possibility that you might not be fully au fait with the arguments you were advancing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Link please. For all we know you could have made this graph up yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Is that US dollar's? So 22,000 net pay in US dollars is around 17000 euro's. Wow, this is what a university degree will get you in France. I'm not buying it.

According to the Ministère de l'Emploi et de la Formation Professionnelle website
    the average secondary school teacher takes home (gross) roughly 1800 euros a month for a 37 hour week. While the cso.ie says the average secondary school teacher here earns just over a thousand euros a week. Even when you factor in cheap wine and cigarettes, Irish teachers still have a sweet deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Curious Geroge

The average ps worker caused this mess did they ?

Yes, there are now 30% more worker in the PS and there is a 8 month waiting list for any public service while this was not the case back in the 90's with the same number unemployed.. Seems that the PS aint as productive as it was 10+ years ago..
    Do you believe everything you read ?
    And yes, i do believe what i read.. can you prove me wrong here as this seems to be esri figures..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭NewDubliner

there is a 8 month waiting list for any public service .
    8 months? I applied for a passport, got it in 10 days. Applied for a new motor tax disc, got it in 5 days. Got information from various government departments by looking up their websites.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

irish_bob wrote: »
    1200 to be prescise and thats before over time

unfortunately that's an error

the €1,200 is based on overtime included

its a bit less before overtime

Advertisement