Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

P182 PSU compatibilty

Options
  • 23-10-2009 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭

Can't find anything about it on the antec site, not surpisingly.

Need recommendations for a cheap quiet power supply that has long enough motherboard power cables to stretch from the PSU right to the top of the case (4 pin power is in top left of mobo). So yeah, does the Corsair CX400 fit the bill, does anyone know?

If anyone is interested, a pristine Seasonic S12 500w I bought from crashtest is up on adverts for €35 since it falls a couple of inches short! Cleanest PSU I've seen that wasn't still sitting in its box, the guy must live in a clean room.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

And the cost of having it delivered + Irish VAT + exchange rate is almost the same as a new psu! Thanks all the same, but I know what I'm looking for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Leman_Russ

And the cost of having it delivered + Irish VAT + exchange rate is almost the same as a new psu! Thanks all the same, but I know what I'm looking for.

WTF are you talking about? It's a total cost of £13.50.

If you are using a £13.50 PSU, you have far bigger problems than a short cable...

Or hell, go to ebay
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/Akasa-8-Pin-to-2-x-4Pin-PSU-extension-Cable_W0QQitemZ300327288085QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL?hash=item45ece6bd15

£5.39 Delivered to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

That was just a "bad" example on my part with rip-off del charges from OCUK.

If you do want a 4 or 8pin adapter this crowd are decent and good shipping costs.
    http://www.chilledpc.co.uk/shop/index.php?cPath=104

I exaggerate for comic effect.

Back on topic: does anyone know of a PSU that fits this case?

• Advertisement

I exaggerate for comic effect.

Back on topic: does anyone know of a PSU that fits this case?

Yes, a pristine Seasonic S12 500w with a £5 extention cable.

Note to self: this forum isn't nearly as helpful as it's cracked up to be.

Note to self: this forum isn't nearly as helpful as it's cracked up to be.

It is helpful. We told you what to do, and it's much cheaper than buying a new PSU.

Sorry you are so stuck up your own arse you refuse to spend £5 to make your current PSU work but want to spend €50 on a new one.

Stuck up my own arse?

I asked a question, someone gave me an option, I (politely) said "thanks but no thanks all the same". You then spent 3 posts sarcastically trying to force the advice I already declined down my throat.

Want an explanation?
    I currently have a 500w PSU with 2 PCI-e connectors that doesn't fit my case, and has more watts and connectors than I have a use for.

My current PSU is about to conk out. I can get a Corsair CX400 from Komplett for €44 which might fit my case, and according to Komplett comes with a 60 month warranty (though I've heard 36 months elsewhere).

I figure someone else might appreciate the PSU I currently have, and have more of a need for its features, and I could spend an extra €10 to get a 5 year warranty (important when your current PSU has killed a graphics card).

Incidentally, your £5.60 solution works out at about €6.40. So that's €2.60 short of a brand new PSU with a warranty compared to selling the current PSU for what I bought it (a fair deal when I paid for it 3 days ago and haven't even plugged it in) and buying the Corsair.

But feel free to call me an asshole if you like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

well, tbh, you were given the solution to the problem asked and and got a bit stroppy with your replies. tough.

now, for a totally new PSU: I know the Corsairs fit (google image search would tell you), but I think you'd have to get an extender if you wanted to loop it behind the motherboard tray.

• Advertisement

I didn't ask "how can I make this psu fit?", I asked if anyone knew of a PSU that was compatible. Crashtest pointed out a link to cable extenders for me when I discussed bringing it back to him. I thought about it and decided to see if the option in post #10 would work out better. I didn't expect to have to justify myself to someone who tells me I'm "stuck up my own arse" for not going with the solution he happens to prefer.

I came on here thinking that someone might have actual experience of the case in question. If you have, I'd be glad to hear from you. If you don't, and you don't have any help for me, then I'm happy to let the thread die, thanks.

Cheers for the response lenin.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Okay everyone, simmer down...
    I didn't expect to have to justify myself to someone who tells me I'm "stuck up my own arse" for not going with the solution he happens to prefer.

To be fair he thought he was helping you. At least until you got sarky on his ass!
    I asked a question, someone gave me an option, I (politely) said "thanks but no thanks all the same"

But you didn't, you complained that option was as expensive as buying a new PSU...
    You then spent 3 posts sarcastically trying to force the advice I already declined down my throat.

... and seeing as one of those posts was trying to set your misconception straight I'd say that all he did was 1 slightly sarcastic finishing post reminding you of the reality of his option as opposed to your exaggerated notion of it. But sadly it didn't end there, as you got sarky and then came over all hurt and surprised when Leman threw an irritated retort back your way. Yes, he was harsh, but you were already pretty harsh on him and game4it70 so don't expect overflowing sympathy from me on this occasion ugone2far.gif

If you were adamant about a new PSU you should have said it clearly rather than bickering about price. But none of this is exactly catastrophic, indeed its a right old storm-in-a-teacup jobbie :rolleyes: Kiss and make up you two, this is getting rather silly. I'll assume all comments thus far is a pair of regulars having a bad day and sniping at each other in frustration so no warnings or anything up to now; we've all been there, now let's move on. No need to take it further, and anyone who does decide to muck about (not just SM or Leman!) will get a thump from the Banhammer :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

lol

Gotta love the handbags!

Well i suppose we've just gotta give the customer what he wants!!!

On an online review of the cx400watt it said that the cable was 60cm long...
    http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/psus/2009/04/27/corsair-cx-400w-psu-review/3

Which is supposedly 5cm longer than the tx650!?(which i should add seems odd) So it should fit easily if this is true...

4 pin on the s12 is a shade under 50cm, so it looks good then. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

A corsair 520w should be fine: my mate uses this is his p182.

I have a regular seasonic unmodualr 600W in my p180 which had plenty of cable length.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,022 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I have a P182 and a OCZ Modstream 520w psu (50cm cables). The cables are long enough but if want to run them behind the motherboard plate for tidiness sake then you need an extension cable (Which I have ;))

Hmmm. I was wary of putting the 4pin lead over or around the graphics card. Will wait for the new board to arrive and see what happens. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Rezident

I have an Antec p182 and a Corsair HX620 and the cable fits fine around the back of the motherboard plate.

Advertisement