Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Clonmel......

Options
  • 23-10-2009 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭

Hey All,

Moving down to Clonmel in the next week or so, have a new job down there starting soon enough, can anyone provide any pointers ref areas to live in, estate agents for accommodation etc?(Am moving down myself so ideally looking to rent an apartment down there)

Also, places to eat, few beers etc?

Any assistance much appreciated.

thanks and regards
    Johnny

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭jkmanc1974

Hopefully sorted ref the accommodation bit, can any locals advise ref places to head for a few beers(not discos, been there done that and am 35 lol!)

Thanks and regards
    Johnny

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭All in all

Phil Carrolls on parnell st is a nice pub, chilled out kind of place, good music no tv's so not a place to watch sport, age wise generally 25-40 is my local. Eldons is a nice pub, good spot for matches. Also if you fancy a quiet pint somewhere like Careys in Irishtown is nice - depends what side of town you are living on. There are 2 late bars - O'Keefes and the post house.

For food Galileo is a nice Italian, pretty reasonable and bring your own wine, also Beffanis, Catalpa and D'amigos all nice too.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Also 35 years old and grew up drinking in Phil Carroll's. A wonderful pint of Guinness serverd.

Ryan's on Irishtown (under new management) is probably my favourite Irishtown pub.

Cheers lads much appreciated, needless to say will try Carrolls for a few pints over the weekend!

Brgds
    Johnny

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Reginald P. DuM

I am from the town, and I agree with the Phils, Carey's and Ma Ryans suggestions for the delicious guiness, good atmosphere and decent staff. Some pubs best avoid if ya want I could tell ya them in a PM. Same with areas to live!! Eldon's is acceptable too though I don't go there often.

Selection of resturants isn't that good for a 25k pop to be fair, usual Chinese fare, and a quite good Indian down the Quay. A more widespread Asian menu can be found in the Lemongrass.

• Advertisement

I am from the town, and I agree with the Phils, Carey's and Ma Ryans suggestions for the delicious guiness, good atmosphere and decent staff. Some pubs best avoid if ya want I could tell ya them in a PM. Same with areas to live!! Eldon's is acceptable too though I don't go there often.

Selection of resturants isn't that good for a 25k pop to be fair, usual Chinese fare, and a quite good Indian down the Quay. A more widespread Asian menu can be found in the Lemongrass.

Cheers - was in Eldons there last week and it seems to be a grand spot....can you drop me a PM with places to avoid :)

Brgds
    Johnny

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

I don't know if there are really places to avoid as such but there are loads of bars that having nothing much more than the usual local crowd, a TV in the corner and country and western music on weekends.

As in any town you'll find different pubs for different people and different moods. I always pop into Tierneys for a cup of coffee and club-sandwich when I'm home for the Xmas holidays, Eldens is one of the best rugby pubs in town; Gerry Chawkes for those big horseracing days; Lonergans for the trad music; the Post-house for those very late-nite pints....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

jkmanc1974 wrote: »
    Hey All,

Moving down to Clonmel in the next week or so, have a new job down there starting soon enough, can anyone provide any pointers ref areas to live in, estate agents for accommodation etc?(Am moving down myself so ideally looking to rent an apartment down there)

Also, places to eat, few beers etc?

Any assistance much appreciated.

thanks and regards
    Johnny

Welcome. :)

All in all wrote: »
    Phil Carrolls on parnell st is a nice pub, chilled out kind of place, good music no tv's so not a place to watch sport, age wise generally 25-40 is my local. Eldons is a nice pub, good spot for matches. Also if you fancy a quiet pint somewhere like Careys in Irishtown is nice - depends what side of town you are living on. There are 2 late bars - O'Keefes and the post house.

For food Galileo is a nice Italian, pretty reasonable and bring your own wine, also Beffanis, Catalpa and D'amigos all nice too.

if O' Keeffes is being mentioned you could say Danno's beside Circles and across from Tom Skinneys. Although the OP doesn't want Discos. Very hard to have a late night pint in those places imo!
    Some pubs best avoid if ya want I could tell ya them in a PM. Same with areas to live!!

OP, I agree. If you want a personal opinion drop a PM to the me or the guys here. We'll sort ya. ;)
    Ponster wrote: »
    Lonergans for the trad music

Sadly, they're closed. They may open again as one poster said. See here for information.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055711635
    As in any town you'll find different pubs for different people and different moods.

Very true.

Welcome. :)

if O' Keeffes is being mentioned you could say Danno's beside Circles and across from Tom Skinneys. Although the OP doesn't want Discos. Very hard to have a late night pint in those places imo!

OP, I agree. If you want a personal opinion drop a PM to the me or the guys here. We'll sort ya. ;)

Sadly, they're closed. They may open again as one poster said. See here for information.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055711635

Very true.

Cheers, heard that about Lonergans closing down, walked past it when was down there last week and looked a grand pub....ah well plenty more to choose from!

Brgds
    Johnny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 lockie83

Try Gleesons just past the west gate, great spot, especially for the sport.

• Advertisement
Advertisement