Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rant - Mature Students

Options
  • 23-10-2009 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭

Should probably post this in the "Bitch" thread but I feel this deserves its own thread.

I do BBS btw and I find some of the female mature students extremely ignorant.

I see women talk away to themselves to tutorials and their phones constantly going off and not being reprimanded by tutors.

In an Excel lab (AC4001) this week, another woman would not stop interrupting the class and asking the tutor the most stupid questions possible, basic stuff that she should know from lectures. The poor tutor looked like he wanted to take a swing at her! :pac:

I also feel many look down on the younger students, a pal of mine was "brushed aside" by a woman to talk to the class rep whom he was speaking to about an important presentation they were doing together. The conversation went: "I want to talk to (the class rep), wait over there". :mad:

I'm really annoyed about this, they should learm some respect and get off their high horses. These people are very much in the minority, but it's still annoying.

Anyone else in the same boat?

btw I am not sexist in any way, I have only seen women do this kind of stuff.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

btw I am not sexist in any way, I have only seen women do this kind of stuff.

I'm not prejudiced but... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

bit of assertiveness would put them in their place tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭munsterdevil

To me this is like people that bitch about those who skip the queues for computer labs, say something to the perpetrator about it there and then and they will think twice about it in future. As for the one asking stupid questions there is not a lot you can do about that, but generally after a few months and at the latest in second year they quite down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

Yep, Ive noticed this a lot too. They really do look down on the "normal" students. They think they have more rights than us or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

I love the mature student in BBS that used carry her books in the shopping bag! She complains about the sound alot too!
    Legend! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Isnt the tutorials meant to be the place to ask questions about the lectures?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I know the people you're on about.
    Asking the most stupid questions in classes etc.
    But you're in for a rude awakening.
    Those fúckers are everywhere and every age and sex.
    I met them at college, i meet them at work and the latest course I've started I meet them there as well.
    No matter what class/meeting you attend you're practically guaranteed that they'll be one stupid fúcker there that will waste 1/2 of it asking stupid questions. It' a fact of life unfortunately.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭munsterdevil

Berkut wrote: »
    I know the people you're on about.
    Asking the most stupid questions in classes etc.
    But you're in for a rude awakening.
    Those fúckers are everywhere and every age and sex.
    I met them at college, i meet them at work and the latest course I've started I meet them there as well.
    No matter what class/meeting you attend you're practically guaranteed that they'll be one stupid fúcker there that will waste 1/2 of it asking stupid questions. It' a fact of life unfortunately.:(
    Yep, that pretty much sums up college and life! well said...

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭KombuchaMshroom

I love the mature students in my law modules! Constantly trying to talk away to the lecturers in the middle of a lecture, don't find it annoying thought because they put so much effort into sounding smart when they ask/answer questions it helps break up the 50 minutes and provide a bit of entertainment!

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭snazzy

There are a few mature students in my modules and the majority of them are really nice.
    There are only two that cause any real annoyance.

Theres one woman who constantly sits in the back of lectures and goes "Hmmm" and "Ahhh" and "Yes yes" and "I agree" and "Of course" whenever the lecturer makes a point. It gets really really annoying. She tries to finish off the the lecturer's sentences as if she knows all there is to know about whatever we are talking about and laughs where it isn't really appropriate. I feel a little embarrassed for her because everyone sits away from her from fear of going mad.
    But then my friend has her in some tutorials and in one, they were asked to pair into groups of 3 for discussion. She was sitting in the middle and ended up without a group but instead of asking my friend, you know, "Can I join your group please", she sat there with her arms folded staring at her. When the lecturer came around to see how they were doin'sg, she just pointed at my friend and said " She won't leave me join her group."
    Wtf? :confused:

The other fella just acts like he knows everything, has an opinion on everything, will argue with you if he thinks your opinion is wrong and is a total kiss ass to the lecturer.

But sure, they are only two out of hundreds and there are some undergraduate students who are just as annoying! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭hi_im_fil

Some of the mature students in my course are the soundest out of the whole course. Generally hard workers too, so its handy to group up with them for big projects :D
    You can almost be guaranteed they won't be arsing around when stuff needs to be done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Arcade Panda

snazzy wrote: »

The other fella just acts like he knows everything, has an opinion on everything, will argue with you if he thinks your opinion is wrong and is a total kiss ass to the lecturer.

But sure, they are only two out of hundreds and there are some undergraduate students who are just as annoying! :)

I think I know who you're talking about :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

I remember the type you speak of, and in the BBS class they always appeared as if they were better than the younger students.
    When we were on co-op, one of the mature students caused a rift between students with a stupid comment about the BBS Ball...She also commented on how mature students fare better than the rest of the students...blah blah,...it turned out to be nonsense come graduation!

But as has been said, you come across them in every walk of life. And let them ask questions. Because the majority of students come straight from secondary school to college, they are already in the mindset of study and can take in information easier at times. Often mature students havent been in college before, or not for a long time, and perhaps need to ask questions because they dont understand!!

Ironically, you might learn something from what they ask too...so although its annoying to you, there's not much you are going to be able to do about it..

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭WiseMona

Seriously - that is soooooo true. I am one of those very annoying mature students. It has been 18 years since I was 'in education' :eek:and it may take 18 years to get 'out of education' at the pace I am moving :rolleyes:.

It is not easy for me to ask those 'very annoying/stupid' questions. Usually, my heart starts racing so loudly in my chest I cannot hear myself think, my hands get sweaty and clammy, and all the while I am trying to make sure that when I do get the courage to spit out those words/questions I will not sound like a total tool.................:confused:

I ask the questions because I do not know the answer and in a lot of cases I am tickled pink that I have come up with a question :D because it means I am learning!

Take it easy on us old farts. It has taken a lot of us a lot of time.courage.money.family sacrifice yada yada yada to get to University/college. Most of us take great notes, never miss a lecture and would be happy to email you the homework when you are too tired or lazy to drag your butt out of bed to attend a lecture.

OK - done ranting :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 annemarie09

It is just the way it is, some people just love the sound of their own voices. It is worse and more annoying out in the workforce. You see someone in a meeting asking a question that has the most obvious of answers. Also, if they just shut their mouths and hold off for a few more minutes then usually the answer is covered in the following material presented anyway.

Get used of it y'all, because this is just a taste of what you will have to deal with after you graduate when you will learn all about politics in organisations. If I were a lecturer or the boss of an employee that asked obvious questions all the time, I would pull them aside to address it.

Personally I don't think that lectures are really the place to ask questions - go home and study the stuff, do the tutorials and if by the time you go the the tutorials you still don't understand, then ask the question in the tutorials. That way it pi$$es less people off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Daragh101

Isnt the tutorials meant to be the place to ask questions about the lectures?

key word "stupid"

Advertisement