Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paramedic Training

• 23-10-2009 2:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭

Hi folks,

I understand that the HSE is not recruiting any paramedics but was wondering if there is anywhere where I can do the training for it as I have only done a first aid course and its an area I would be interested in joining.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭mega man

Hi folks,

I understand that the HSE is not recruiting any paramedics but was wondering if there is anywhere where I can do the training for it as I have only done a first aid course and its an area I would be interested in joining.

Thanks

same here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

There are presently no private Paramedic course in Ireland. Several companies are running Emergency Medicla Techinican (EMT) courses at the moment. The main company is one based in Galway who were first to get recognised to provide EMT courses. The cost is €2500. This is a very intense course and I would recommend Emergency First Responder (EFR) course first.

Private Paramedic courses wont be seen in this country for 2 or more years and at that placements may have to be done in the states meaning the course could cost €15,000.

List of PHECC providers are on this matrix

http://www.phecit.ie/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabindex=0&tabid=1286

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭Bored-Stupid

Thanks Nice Guy,

So what would the advantages of doing an EMT course be? Can I do the paramedics course in the UK?Also where can I do the EFR courses you mentioned?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Bang Bang

Hi folks,

Thanks

The HSE have been actively recruiting Trainee Paramedics for over two years now. It has been done in stages with panels being put together where classes are made up from.
    There is currently a panel in place with one class in training at the moment. There is another class due to start early in 2010

When this panel is exhausted the National Ambulance Service will still have a shortfall of the required and agreed number of recruit trainee paramedics.
    Going by the current trend I would envisage at least one more recruitment before the required numbers are met.

Do remember that you need a full clean D1 and C1 driving license to meet the basic requirement to be even considered to sit the aptitude test.

The best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭Elessar

Thanks Nice Guy,

So what would the advantages of doing an EMT course be? Can I do the paramedics course in the UK?Also where can I do the EFR courses you mentioned?

Advantages would be that you will be familiar with 95% of the material on a Paramedic course, which would make it easier for you. Also, you may get work with private companies with an EMT license. The list above shows who is offering EFR courses too.

I would strongly advise joining one of the voluntary organisations if you are interested in this area, you will get to treat patients and learn the ins and outs of things.

Edit: You can do Paramedic courses in the UK. The London ambulance service is recruiting atm iirc, but the NHS are increasingly looking for Paramedics with degrees rather than just the license. Quite a few universities in the UK offer a 2/3 year Paramedic science degree if you are interested.

• Advertisement

Thanks guys,

Sent a couple of queries about doing the EFR courses with some of the associations on the list provided. What is the general cost of these courses? Also will I get any discount being on Unemployment assistance.

One other thing, I have the provisional C licence, after I do the CPC (or whatever its called) where is best to get lessons. Im in the Dundalk area?Of the voluntary organisations which is best? St Johns Ambulance, Order of Malta,Civil Defence,etc

Thanks

If you join a voluntary body they will get you up to EFR (and maybe even EMT level), for free. But it depends on the organisation, you'd have to be active for a certain amount of time in order to get on the courses. Likely to be a few years minimum.

Every org has their pros and cons. Everyone thinks theirs is the best (OMAC ftw) :D but it's up to you.

Thanks Elessar,

I sent an online query to the Order of Malta but will head into their office in Dundalk and also the Red Crosses to find out more. I will probably do the EFR course in Galway (IATI) in November if I can get the funding!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 robs

If you are in Dundalk the Red Cross have a very strong unit there

robs wrote: »
    If you are in Dundalk the Red Cross have a very strong unit there

Thanks Robs, are they better than the Order of Malta in Dundalk?

• Advertisement

Thanks Robs, are they better than the Order of Malta in Dundalk?

There is no "better" Bored-Stupid, that's highly subjective and each org has their strengths and weaknesses! They all do the same work but I know both organisations in that area are fairly busy!

Apologies, I always look for a definitive answer when one isnt always available.

You actually answered my question, I should have phrased it more carefully. Im looking for the more active organisation. Just received a mail from OMAC so I guess I will give them a shot on the basis they are the first to get back to me.

Thanks guys, I will let you know how I get on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

if your unemlployed its worth talking to fas about getting funding to do a efr or emt course. i asked about one a few weeks ago and was told get all the info and pricings etc i got a temporary pubic service job a week later so had to put it on the back burner for a while.

Cant say which one is better. Orginisations about the country have different strengths but the Red Cross in Dundalk a strong unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭DUBDUBDUB

hello Folks,

know some of you from other threads. this may seem like a strange one but i really dont want to make a mistake. Now, I am an atheist, I have no, repeat no belief in God, nor do I have a problem with those who do.
    I have looked at OMACS website as I am interested in volunteering my time whilst on the panel but am rather put off by what appears to be strong religous ethos in the order of Malta. I repeat I have no problem but I dont want to join an organisation and rub people up the wrong way because of my lack of belief. I would gladly help people injured on pilgrimage (as I would anyone else) but wont pray, take communion etc

Is there really much of a religous ethic in the organisation? Anyone?

By the way, I am not from Ireland so am really, honestly ignorant about this and am not taking the p***

DUBDUBDUB wrote: »
    hello Folks,

know some of you from other threads. this may seem like a strange one but i really dont want to make a mistake. Now, I am an atheist, I have no, repeat no belief in God, nor do I have a problem with those who do.
    I have looked at OMACS website as I am interested in volunteering my time whilst on the panel but am rather put off by what appears to be strong religous ethos in the order of Malta. I repeat I have no problem but I dont want to join an organisation and rub people up the wrong way because of my lack of belief. I would gladly help people injured on pilgrimage (as I would anyone else) but wont pray, take communion etc

Is there really much of a religous ethic in the organisation? Anyone?

By the way, I am not from Ireland so am really, honestly ignorant about this and am not taking the p***

Ha, I heard this a few too many times. It seems like a really religious organisation but it's not believe me. It is a non denominational organisation, and religion rarely enters into it. I'm in it 4 years and the most religious thing I did was a duty at mass for the sick once, only because I was asked.

Believe me, religious views, or lack of, are a non issue in the order of malta. I rarely even see it never mind think about it. Don't worry about it.

It really is a great organisation to join. It's only as religious as you want it to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭DUBDUBDUB

thanks elessar, I will give them a call tomorrow!

Keep an eye on some of the private training sites. I heard that one of them is hoping to run Paramedic course early next year. Sounds expensive

robs wrote: »
    Keep an eye on some of the private training sites. I heard that one of them is hoping to run Paramedic course early next year. Sounds expensive

Approx 16 grand expensive........and travel.....and rent in the states in England!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭boomer_ie

Approx 16 grand expensive........and travel.....and rent in the states in England!!

There are a lot cheaper ways of getting recognised as a paramedic than paying 16 grand!

i cant see there being too much uptake for the course at that cost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

They run a Paramedic course in the UK in some of the colleges over there, You can also do a paramedic course via distance learning. Im not sure how it works out with the practicals but might be worth a look.

I was planning on doing something like this but what turned me off it was: If a person was to qualify as a paramedic in the UK and register over here would the HSE actually take them on? I know that they like to train everybody to their own standard and somebody presenting themselves for interview could possibly be turned down for being too qualified :(

I may be way off the mark but its something worth thinking about

boomer_ie wrote: »
    There are a lot cheaper ways of getting recognised as a paramedic than paying 16 grand!

i cant see there being too much uptake for the course at that cost.

Can you share this cheaper way of getting recognised as a Paramedic??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭5500

I've heard these "rumours" of private paramedic training in the new year too, although the price i heard was closer to 8k, apparently everything is in place and the only problem was with the frontline ambulance placing.

Again it was all rumours but did come from someone within a company so guess we can ony wait and see.

Can you share this cheaper way of getting recognised as a Paramedic??

The UK IHCD Ambulance Technician course is (after the hours and 1 years probation has been completed) recognised by PHECC as a Paramedic level and you get paid for your placements / probation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 ThatGuyAgain

Boomer where in the uk offers the ihcd course? Afaik it is being or has been, phased out in favour of the paramedic qualification. I can't see anywhere offering it.

Boomer where in the uk offers the ihcd course? Afaik it is being or has been, phased out in favour of the paramedic qualification. I can't see anywhere offering it.

It hasnt been phased out yet, its been extended another while as many nhs trusts are still using the IHCD / EDEXCELL format.

http://www.ml-ambulance.co.uk/

boomer_ie wrote: »
    The UK IHCD Ambulance Technician course is (after the hours and 1 years probation has been completed) recognised by PHECC as a Paramedic level and you get paid for your placements / probation.

So haow many hours do you have to do?? And can placements be done in Ireland??

Any idea of exact cost??

So haow many hours do you have to do?? And can placements be done in Ireland??

Any idea of exact cost??

Around £7000 off top of my head (think £6800) including hotel room for the course itself (8 weeks) or £3800 for the course alone, you then do 750 hours placements and you are IHCD Qualified as an Ambulance Technician at that stage. In order to satisfy PHECC you will need to organise a years placement.

You will need to organise your own accommodation for the placements / probation year etc.

You will also need to organise a proper D1 and D2 driving course for using Blue Lights and Sierns in the UK as it is in law over there that you must have this course completed in order to utilise the blues and twos (at least thats what I have been told by a few sources).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 kevoiddy

Thanks guys,

Sent a couple of queries about doing the EFR courses with some of the associations on the list provided. What is the general cost of these courses? Also will I get any discount being on Unemployment assistance.

One other thing, I have the provisional C licence, after I do the CPC (or whatever its called) where is best to get lessons. Im in the Dundalk area?Of the voluntary organisations which is best? St Johns Ambulance, Order of Malta,Civil Defence,etc

Thanks

Hi bored stupid. I am currently trying to get my C1 and C license so I can apply on a paramedic course and you DON'T have to do your CPC. I rang the CPC line and the woman said they encourage you to do it but you don't actually have to. Emergency vehicles are exempt from the CPC so you do not have to do it.

• Advertisement

kevoiddy wrote: »
    Hi bored stupid. I am currently trying to get my C1 and C license so I can apply on a paramedic course and you DON'T have to do your CPC. I rang the CPC line and the woman said they encourage you to do it but you don't actually have to. Emergency vehicles are exempt from the CPC so you do not have to do it.

Correct you dont need CPC (but its a good idea to do it!) On the C1 and C.....forget getting them in stages. Just apply for the C test.......

Advertisement