Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paramedic Training

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

+1 to that. CPC contains alot of fluff but some of the info could well help you avoid an accident in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 JOBERG

Hi there,
    You can do a course called Fire & Ambulance in Senior College Dun Loaghaire. This offers you the chance to do a FETAC LEVEL 5 Certificate in Community and Health Services (DCHSX) and you also get offered the chance to do lots of private training courses including the EFR and EMT. The approx cost of these private training courses are €500 for EFR and €1500 depending on the numbers interested. The EMT is PHECC accredited. It will take you longer, but it is cheaper than a lot of the other private training courses. Plus you get the FETAC cert as well which offers you the opportunity to progress into other 3rd level courses.
    I hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 emthopeful

I'm currently doing an EMT course with the IATI . It's a brilliant and very interesting course , you'll need to discipline yourself to do alot of study. I would strongly recommend that you do this course before applying to become a paramedic , that is if you have no previous medical background .

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭gigity gigity

For anyone interested there is a paramedic in training student programme advertised at the moment.
    Only one problem applications need to be in by tomorrow,

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭medic780

For anyone interested there is a paramedic in training student programme advertised at the moment.
    Only one problem applications need to be in by tomorrow,
    Where is this programme advertised gigity gigity??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Elessar

medic780 wrote: »
    Where is this programme advertised gigity gigity??

http://www.hscrecruit.com/jobs_by_organisation.aspx?organisation_id=9

Cheers for that

So take you two are applying then? have yous applied for it before?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Elessar

No I'm not applying, I don't want to live or work in the north.

From the looks of it, it's a bit more difficult a process to get through than the HSE's.

I said i'd just take a look at it and see what was needed to apply. Have the driving tests done so i'm fine with those but i never did a science subject in my leaving cert so that leaves me kinda screwed on that 1.... Have loads of first aid certs right up to EFR plus others that arent PHECC recognised

• Advertisement

How often would recruitment come around in the south? It appears to be only every two years up here and numbers are limited.

Am it used to be every year roughly but at the moment nobody seams to know if and when the next recruitment is going to take place. Rumours range from april/may to so people saying all recruitment cancelled untill next year....
    Last recruitment was in Feb of last year and they was cancellations on the classes starting etc...
    It's all a bit mad really as there seams to be a shortage in paramedics esp for cover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭grad10

Hi all, I just seen the advertisement for that HSC paramedic in training programme today (the closing date!) I literally just submitted my application moments ago.. the deadline was 16:00 and I hit send at 16:02 so don't even know if they will consider my application but will just have to wait and see! Pity I didn't know about it earlier. Anybody else apply for it?

They have just extended the deadline on that job until the 12th of March for anyone who is interested. I can't believe I rushed my application and could have added further additional info :( Aw well!

Yes im in for it to! I only got mine in yesterday as well also rushed. The job apparently was readvertised, and now they are advertising again,must be low interest for some odd reason?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Orca73

Just a quick one did any of ye have any trouble keeping yere details for education and previous work details on the form when I went back to review it it wouldn't show the details that I had put in, but sent it in anyway as I said to meself if it doesn't work I'll jusy send in a hartd copy, Regards and best of luck to anyone who has applied.

I have a query about the application. I currently have a full B and C1 drivers license . But on the form it dosent ask for any info about these licenses . Also do I need to have an english drivers license to apply?

I don't have a science subject but I have lots of first aid courses done and I am an active member of a rescue service and a voluntary ambulance service to dunno wherther they would even consider my application

emthopeful, It says you must have a full unrestricted drivers license which satisfys local road traffic legisation.Im assuming that yours is an Irish drivers license? I would check with recruitment to be sure. C1 is not an essential criteria however you must have it by the end of training.

Medic have a read at the essential criteria on the hsc site you may be pleasently surprised if you have completed the courses they specify

• Advertisement

gigity I read through the essential ciritiea and I don't know what would be the equialvent to a "IHCD Ambulance Care Assistant (ACA) Award" in the south, "completed at least 6 months working in NIAS Patient Care Services" i presume that my time in a rescue service and a vol ambulance would cover this though

Has anyone got a contact number for the HSC, their website dosent appear to have one?

emthopeful wrote: »
    Has anyone got a contact number for the HSC, their website dosent appear to have one?

If it's about a NIAS recruitment issue:

Human Resources Department, Employee Recruitment
    Tele: 028 9040 0912

If not, there are other contact numbers at:
    http://www.niamb.co.uk/docs/contact_us.html#IDT_07

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭STANDCLEAR!!!

Apologies, I always look for a definitive answer when one isnt always available.

You actually answered my question, I should have phrased it more carefully. Im looking for the more active organisation. Just received a mail from OMAC so I guess I will give them a shot on the basis they are the first to get back to me.

Thanks guys, I will let you know how I get on!

Hi Bored-stupid how are you fairing out with the order in Dundalk or did you go to the Red Cross??

boomer_ie wrote: »
    The UK IHCD Ambulance Technician course is (after the hours and 1 years probation has been completed) recognised by PHECC as a Paramedic level and you get paid for your placements / probation.

How do you know this is true?? where you talking to somebody from phecc?? or know somebody that has done it??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭boomer_ie

How do you know this is true?? where you talking to somebody from phecc?? or know somebody that has done it??

Both, the PHECC source stated that once the training completed exceeded the PHECC education and training guidelines it would be recognised by them at that level, so the IHCD Amb Tech course plus a years experience exceeds the Paramedic Training requirements in Ireland.

Thats a years experience after the placements are completed not including the placements.

Both, the PHECC source stated that once the training completed exceeded the PHECC education and training guidelines it would be recognised by them at that level, so the IHCD Amb Tech course plus a years experience exceeds the Paramedic Training requirements in Ireland.

Thats a years experience after the placements are completed not including the placements.

sounds good!!!

do you have any info on training institutes and placements etc??

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭civildefence

Thats brilliant, but what about the likes of the EMT1 course run by the likes of West Mids Amb and North West Amb? Would they be equivalent to paramedic too on account of the length of training? Also I don't think its possible to do the IHCD tech course privately..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭DubMedic

sounds good!!!

do you have any info on training institutes and placements etc??
    He linked to it a couple of pages back if you bothered to look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭touge_drift

i applied to the nias myself last month, has anyone heard back from them yet?

Advertisement