Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Paramedic Training

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭grad10

Done the test today.. Questions weren't as bad as I thought but the time limit was unbelieveable! I knew I wouldn't get it finished so I guessed the last 5 in the first part and about 10 in the second! Not expecting to hear back! They said the tests were running for another couple weeks so good luck to those still waiting!

PS. I hate the way they went round everyone individually to check their answers to the example questions - mortifying! Haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 medi3

hey guys, i just got my letter this morning and got test date for tuesday the 1st of june, bricken it now ony 6 days and no clue what to study:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 I wanna be a medic

I just got my letter too. And I'm s**tting it. I've already failed to get onto the HSE panel and I hear that this is far, far worse. A friend of mine told me that the questions were UNBELIEVEABLE. That you would want to be an A.P. to have any hope. I asked him what I should study, and he told me that I would be as well off watching a season of Scrubs while smashed on Vodka. I dont know what to do. What if they do blood tests ?? What then. My friend would'nt tell me if they took blood from him. Or even if they would in the future ! Does anyone here know ? I've been a user for quite some time now. But I have it under control. Should I just give up now ? Is there help for someone like me. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭touge_drift

I just got my letter too. And I'm s**tting it. I've already failed to get onto the HSE panel and I hear that this is far, far worse. A friend of mine told me that the questions were UNBELIEVEABLE. That you would want to be an A.P. to have any hope. I asked him what I should study, and he told me that I would be as well off watching a season of Scrubs while smashed on Vodka. I dont know what to do. What if they do blood tests ?? What then. My friend would'nt tell me if they took blood from him. Or even if they would in the future ! Does anyone here know ? I've been a user for quite some time now. But I have it under control. Should I just give up now ? Is there help for someone like me. :(

they arent paramedic related questions so far im aware. there just general apptitude test questions designed to see how well you do under the pressure of time. bus eireann/cie/dfb/hse/ni-amb and the gardai im sure use all the same or very simular testing.

blood tests? well certently not the day of testing why would they test a non employe, and user of what if you dont mind me asking? as all comapnies have a no drug policy full stop.

all the reading i did today just sugested it was an appitude like test for this round so i just went out and got a few of the books to study, for anyone who has done it can anyone tell me what type of appitude? and example of the maths question? any help would be great thanks guys.
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 COS1

Im not trying to be smart, but if you are using drugs on a daily or weekly basis then i would suggest you try and sort that out first before you attempt saving the lives of others. Im not saying you are a bad person, its just the terms "been a user" and Paramedic training are NOT compatible.
    Best of luck.

does anyone know who has done the test for the northern ireland ambulance if they did give you a calculater on the day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭gigity gigity

Read the letter they have sent you.

There are no blood tests yet, most definatly will be at a medical so if your smoking or worse i would hit it on the head now, they can tell what you have been using from way back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

I've been a user for quite some time now. But I have it under control. Should I just give up now ? Is there help for someone like me. :(

I assume you are refering to drugs user???

If so then with all due respect I hope for all our sakes you dont get into the service. Addictive personallity and Paramedic dont mix well.....esp if your asking if you should give up now!!!

Again I dont mean to offend.

• Advertisement

medi3 wrote: »
    all the reading i did today just sugested it was an appitude like test for this round so i just went out and got a few of the books to study, for anyone who has done it can anyone tell me what type of appitude? and example of the maths question? any help would be great thanks guys.

The verbal reasoning section consists of a series of short passages followed by 3 or 4 questions, and you must answer true, false, or cannot tell. I can't remember how many questions there were in total but you are given 12 minutes to complete it.

You have 20 minutes to complete the numerical reasoning. You will be given a sheet of data, with things like a table showing miles between towns, a bar chart showing house sales for a particular month etc etc, and have to answer questions on them. Calculators are provided.

Keep and eye on your time and good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Hi, I'm confused and hopefully someone might be able to give me some clarity on this. I'm trying to help someone figure out how and where one applies for EMT training and its turning into a bit of a case of the blind leading the sightless. :o

Originally I came across the booklet Emergency Medical Technician Trainee Candidate Info Booklet from the NAS / HSE on publicjobs.ie which outlined a combined training programme / job application for the NAS panel.
    Today I found the EMT Job spec for the current recruitment campaign closing on June 11th which is advertising for already qualified EMTs.

I'm wondering is it the case that the training programme outlined in the booklet from 2008/2009 has ended and if so is it now a case of needing to source your own EMT training as long as its with a PHECC registered provider?

Also could someone give me an idea as to what 'a high standard of general education' means. The person I'm working with has a Leaving Cert Applied which is not always seen as being at the same level as a general leaving cert. They are also doing a FETAC Level 5 in Healthcare Support which is mainly focused on care of the Elderly.
    I'd really be grateful if someone could point me in the right direction on this as I feel like I'm going round in circles at the minute.

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭Elessar

paperclip2 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm confused and hopefully someone might be able to give me some clarity on this. I'm trying to help someone figure out how and where one applies for EMT training and its turning into a bit of a case of the blind leading the sightless. :o

Originally I came across the booklet Emergency Medical Technician Trainee Candidate Info Booklet from the NAS / HSE on publicjobs.ie which outlined a combined training programme / job application for the NAS panel.
    Today I found the EMT Job spec for the current recruitment campaign closing on June 11th which is advertising for already qualified EMTs.

I'm wondering is it the case that the training programme outlined in the booklet from 2008/2009 has ended and if so is it now a case of needing to source your own EMT training as long as its with a PHECC registered provider?

Also could someone give me an idea as to what 'a high standard of general education' means. The person I'm working with has a Leaving Cert Applied which is not always seen as being at the same level as a general leaving cert. They are also doing a FETAC Level 5 in Healthcare Support which is mainly focused on care of the Elderly.
    I'd really be grateful if someone could point me in the right direction on this as I feel like I'm going round in circles at the minute.

Thanks.

By EMT training, are you referring to Paramedic training specifically (i.e. this person wants to train as an EMT-Paramedic and work on an ambulance in the national service?) or are you referring to EMT training that one can do privately?

If it's the former, unfortunately the competition has closed and your friend will have to wait for the next round of recruitment like the rest of us! What current recruitment campaign were you looking at?

If it's the latter, the regulators website www.phecc.ie shows a list of companies that currently offer training to EMT level - but it is not Paramedic. This is an expensive course and you cannot gain employment in the national service (or anywhere else atm) with it.

EDIT: The direct link is http://www.phecit.ie/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabindex=0&tabid=1286

With regards education standards "Applicants must be in possession of a minimum of five passes in the Leaving Certificate examination (including one mathematics plus one science subject ), or academic equivalent." - that's taken from UCDs website which runs the Paramedic course in conjunction with NASC.

Elessar wrote: »
    By EMT training, are you referring to Paramedic training specifically (i.e. this person wants to train as an EMT-Paramedic and work on an ambulance in the national service?) or are you referring to EMT training that one can do privately?

Ya I think Paperclip2 is getting mixed up by the EMT standard.

Paramedics you see on HSE and DFB ambulances have a National Qualification in Emergency Medical Technology to the level of EMT - P (paramedic).

Paramedics are hired as EMTs and paid as EMTs. The recruitment also states EMT.

There is then a lower level of EMT - B (Basic).

For people qualified or in the service they normally just refer to each as Paramedic or EMT.

grad10 wrote: »
    The verbal reasoning section consists of a series of short passages followed by 3 or 4 questions, and you must answer true, false, or cannot tell. I can't remember how many questions there were in total but you are given 12 minutes to complete it.

You have 20 minutes to complete the numerical reasoning. You will be given a sheet of data, with things like a table showing miles between towns, a bar chart showing house sales for a particular month etc etc, and have to answer questions on them. Calculators are provided.

Keep and eye on your time and good luck!

thank you very much for your help, that is exactely what i was looking for. getting shakey with loads of people saying it was very hard but at least that is some direction now.
    really appreciate the help.
    hope your test went reallly well for you.
    best of luck with the next round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 I wanna be a medic

Its OK. I've got it together now ...... I'm ready .... But are ye ??? Don't be nervous, STAY CALM, nice and relaxed now. Yea Baby. See ye there !:D

Hi, Thanks for taking the time to give me a few answers. :)

The first one, Paramedic in the national ambulance service.
    If it's the former, unfortunately the competition has closed and your friend will have to wait for the next round of recruitment like the rest of us! What current recruitment campaign were you looking at?

This one: http://www.hse.ie/eng/staff/jobs/Patient_and_Client_Care/NRS0139_Job_Specification_.pdf

If it's the latter, the regulators website www.phecc.ie shows a list of companies that currently offer training to EMT level - but it is not Paramedic. This is an expensive course and you cannot gain employment in the national service (or anywhere else atm) with it.

EDIT: The direct link is http://www.phecit.ie/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabindex=0&tabid=1286

Thanks for that. I had seen the list before and that was pretty much what I thought. Thanks for confirming it.
    With regards education standards "Applicants must be in possession of a minimum of five passes in the Leaving Certificate examination (including one mathematics plus one science subject ), or academic equivalent." - that's taken from UCDs website which runs the Paramedic course in conjunction with NASC.

Excellent. Thats really great.

Thanks very much for that Elessar. Its made things a lot clearer.
    Ya I think Paperclip2 is getting mixed up by the EMT standard.

Deffo. :)
    you see on HSE and DFB ambulances have a National Qualification in Emergency Medical Technology to the level of EMT - P (paramedic).

Paramedics are hired as EMTs and paid as EMTs. The recruitment also states EMT.

There is then a lower level of EMT - B (Basic).

For people qualified or in the service they normally just refer to each as Paramedic or EMT.

Ok, so its Paramedic EMT thats the higher grade and is required to work on the national service.
    What areas does the EMT - B work in do you mind me asking?

Thanks a lot for putting that info together folks. Its much appreciated.

No prob!

With the basic EMT grade you can work in the private sector on PTS ambulances (if you're lucky) or with event medic companies etc.

There's no work out there at the moment though, and the privates are no longer taking on EMTs, they want Paramedics now. I know a few Paras that have been laid off recently in fact. The work just isn't there.

Strange that the HSE is recruiting for paramedics via its website now! It's usually via publicjobs.ie. Thanks for pointing that out.

Strange that the HSE is recruiting for paramedics via its website now! It's usually via publicjobs.ie. Thanks for pointing that out.

You're welcome. :)

Thats what had me wondering if there was an alternative method of qualifying to Paramedic -P standard outside of the national competition thats why I was getting a bit confused.
    The current comp that I linked to above is recruiting already qualified Paramedics but my understanding was that you had to be recruited as a trainee and then you go through the Paramedic-P education with HSE / UCD before being put on the panel for vacancies in the NAS.

Thanks for the UCD info btw. I spoke to Jacinta Vallely in the office and she confirmed the baseline educational door in is the LC, 5 passes including Maths and a science, no mature entry.

• Advertisement

You're welcome. :)

Thats what had me wondering if there was an alternative method of qualifying to Paramedic -P standard outside of the national competition thats why I was getting a bit confused.
    The current comp that I linked to above is recruiting already qualified Paramedics but my understanding was that you had to be recruited as a trainee and then you go through the Paramedic-P education with HSE / UCD before being put on the panel for vacancies in the NAS.

Thanks for the UCD info btw. I spoke to Jacinta Vallely in the office and she confirmed the baseline educational door in is the LC, 5 passes including Maths and a science, no mature entry.

From reading the application process, it seems that this new campaign is only to supplement the panels already in place.

That's bad news for the rest of us because it means the HSE don't see the need for another trainee recruitment campaign :( In fact, we may not see another one for a long time yet.

All information I'm getting is pointing towards them opening up the Paramedic course for private individuals eventually though.

Quote from the current campaign: "From the 26th July 2010 all Emergency Medical Technician (PHECC Registered Paramedic) will be filled from the pre-existing campaign and this campaign (pre-existing panels will take precedence).

Therefore we strongly recommend that you apply now if you are interested in pursuing a career as a qualified Emergency Medical Technician (PHECC Registered Paramedic)."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭coolmoose

no, if you did the old EMT training (which is now the new Paramedic level training) through NATS/OBI you were eligible to apply for PHECC Registration at Paramedic level, the PDF and others (privates, individuals) put people through this training too so there is a possible pool of PHECC Registered Paramedics who didn't work for the HSE/Health Boards/DFB out there.

note that this old EMT training was not similar to the current PHECC EMT standard.

coolmoose wrote: »
    no, if you did the old EMT training (which is now the new Paramedic level training) through NATS/OBI you were eligible to apply for PHECC Registration at Paramedic level, the PDF and others (privates, individuals) put people through this training too so there is a possible pool of PHECC Registered Paramedics who didn't work for the HSE/Health Boards/DFB out there.

note that this old EMT training was not similar to the current PHECC EMT standard.

They will only be recognised if they did the convertion course though......6-7 weeks if I remember rightly???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭coolmoose

They will only be recognised if they did the convertion course though......6-7 weeks if I remember rightly???

no the conversion course was for those who sat the old school "basic ambulance" training. The EMT training from 1996 onwards in NATS resulted in a Diploma in Emergency Medical Technology from UCD, and once the PHECC Register came into effect, registration at Paramedic level with a pledge to maintain competency and stay up to date, as well as the usual (compliance with CPD, upskilling, CPGs etc.)

From 2008 onwards this changed to the Paramedic training that we know in it's current from (college, 16 weeks under & postgraduate placements & 12 months internship)

edit: Ah I get what you meant now NGA, PHECC Paramedic recognition was given to those who were old "ambulance aid" trained once they sat the EMT Conversion course. There are also those who did not sign up to the Paramedic register and chose to stay at EMT level (i.e. Ambulance Aid trained who did not sit conversion course) for various reasons, but that's another story.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭medic780

Quote from the current campaign: "From the 26th July 2010 all Emergency Medical Technician (PHECC Registered Paramedic) will be filled from the pre-existing campaign and this campaign (pre-existing panels will take precedence).

Therefore we strongly recommend that you apply now if you are interested in pursuing a career as a qualified Emergency Medical Technician (PHECC Registered Paramedic)."
    Where did you find this information?

medic780 wrote: »
    Where did you find this information?

http://www.hse.ie/eng/staff/jobs/Patient_and_Client_Care/NRS0139_Additional_Campaign_Information.pdf

Page 4.

It doesn't look good does it?

• Advertisement

Only just skimmed through it. I really don't know where anyone stands. It will be interesting to see what the letters state when the exisiting panel get them I think that will answer alot of question. I really don't no if there is that many registered para's out there looking for employment time will tell.

I know the private ambulance services have a good few foreign trained Paramedics, mainly from eastern europe in my experience. I'm sure this campaign will attract some more from abroad. Enough to make the required numbers? Who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭k_d

as far as iv heard, we should have letters tomorrow,

If you are on the existing panel. it has been extended. But, You will only be takin of the panel if you have a leaving cert with maths and science or have the relevant clinical experience.

What a load of crap if its correct. If you are on the panel that was recruited last year, can they change the terms in which you will be pulled from it,

k_d wrote: »
    as far as iv heard, we should have letters tomorrow,

If you are on the existing panel. it has been extended. But, You will only be takin of the panel if you have a leaving cert with maths and science or have the relevant clinical experience.

What a load of crap if its correct. If you are on the panel that was recruited last year, can they change the terms in which you will be pulled from it,
    Can they change the requirments for the existing panel legally?

Can they change the requirments for the existing panel legally?

Unless the members of the panel signed contracts, legally they can change whatever they like.

It's UCD bringing in the LC requirement, not the HSE.

• Advertisement

It's all a bit of a joke at the moment all I can say is thank god i'm not on the panel because I would be cracking up.
    Applicants must be in possession of a minimum of five passes in the Leaving Certificate examination (including one mathematics plus one science subject ), or academic equivalent. These are the requirments from UDC. Academic equivalent?? who kows what this will be..

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Tech Dave

Hello everyone!!! new here but i might have a few answers for the people on here! The Academic equivalent refers to GCSE's, A-levels or any equivalent exams to the Leaving Certificate in the EU. With regards to the relevant clinical experience they are referring to EMT-b. Hope this helps.

Tech Dave wrote: »
    Hello everyone!!! new here but i might have a few answers for the people on here! The Academic equivalent refers to GCSE's, A-levels or any equivalent exams to the Leaving Certificate in the EU. With regards to the relevant clinical experience they are referring to EMT-b. Hope this helps.
    Ummm where does that leave me i wonder..

Ummm where does that leave me i wonder..
    If your in any doubt i'd advise you contact HSE recruitment in Manorhamilton!

Manonhamiltion don't seam to be giving out much info at the moment. I have my leaving cert done and I passed it but I didn't take a science subject took home economics social and scientific. I only have EFR done and won't be doing my EMT till Jan unless I try and raise the funds to do it privately.

Manonhamiltion don't seam to be giving out much info at the moment. I have my leaving cert done and I passed it but I didn't take a science subject took home economics social and scientific. I only have EFR done and won't be doing my EMT till Jan unless I try and raise the funds to do it privately.
    I don't particularly agree with these new requirements but there here now with UCD! Now my question is will RCSI who Dublin Fire Brigade are affiliated with bring in these new requirements for there EMT-P qualification. Either way it's creating a huge gap for potential private companies to provide EMT-P training if they were to receive affiliation with phecc!

I'll try UCD and manor again tomorrow you never know they might accept home economics scoial and scientific as a science subject plus all my courses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 fire emt

Sorry to change the subject (a little). I was in Belfast yesterday doing the apt. test. Bloody Hell, is all I can say. This is becoming such a hard battle. I'm happy enough with it, as I gave it my best shot, its in the hands of the Gods now. I'm on the HSE panel with no L.C. but am an experienced E.M.T.-b. So at least now I've some hope. But here's the clanger - I've arranged to go to England next week to upskill and will have to sign a 2 year contract with the company. What the hell do I do now ? A couple of years ago a friend (Paramedic) of mine told me that if he had known of what was ahead of him, he would never have joined. You know ...... he might have a point ...... I'm gone grey now ! :confused:

For those doing the tests for the northern ireland ambulance service - I was speaking to a paramedic working in Newry about the latest recruitment. He says historically it is very rare for southerners to get on the course, there are 72 places and more than 2500 from the republic have applied, aswell as thousands more from NI.

Just what I was told, grain+salt.

Anyone heard back from the NIAS yet after their ability tests? They said at my test day interviews would be held at the end of June, was everyone told the same? So do you think it's fair to say if you don't get a letter inviting you for an interview/ telling you you are on the reserve list within roughly the next 2 weeks you haven't made the cut?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭pathway

Anyone heard back from the NIAS yet after their ability tests? They said at my test day interviews would be held at the end of June, was everyone told the same? So do you think it's fair to say if you don't get a letter inviting you for an interview/ telling you you are on the reserve list within roughly the next 2 weeks you haven't made the cut?
    Ive heard nothing back as yet, will keep you posted.:)

ive heard nothing yet either only did the appitude this day last week, and they said we should get a letter at the end of june or at longist first week in july about the next round.
    how did you go with your appitude test? how many of the maths questions did you get answered? timing was very tough.
    anyone else told differant about the time frame?
    best of luck.

Cheers Pathway, will do the same.

Medi3, I guessed the last 5 questions in both sections before I even started as I knew I wouldn't get it finished, then in the maths section I think I guessed an additional 3 or 4 questions just before the time ran out. So I finished them all but most likely incorrectly! Don't know if it's a good strategy or not but it was either that or leave them blank. I agree, the time limit was unreal!

Cheers Pathway, will do the same.

Medi3, I guessed the last 5 questions in both sections before I even started as I knew I wouldn't get it finished, then in the maths section I think I guessed an additional 3 or 4 questions just before the time ran out. So I finished them all but most likely incorrectly! Don't know if it's a good strategy or not but it was either that or leave them blank. I agree, the time limit was unreal!

thanks for that, it was really hard to know what way to do it, i didnt guess the end just kept going after getting advice from a friend in the HSE cos he had an appitude for that and thats what he did. but didnt get to the last ten. seems like alot to leave out but i also heard from a paramedic friend in the uk who was involved in recruitment that along with your appitude they will look at your application and im hoping that might help as im already an EMT.
    have you done any ambulance work before?

medi3 wrote: »
    thanks for that, it was really hard to know what way to do it, i didnt guess the end just kept going after getting advice from a friend in the HSE cos he had an appitude for that and thats what he did. but didnt get to the last ten. seems like alot to leave out but i also heard from a paramedic friend in the uk who was involved in recruitment that along with your appitude they will look at your application and im hoping that might help as im already an EMT.
    have you done any ambulance work before?

Yeah who knows, time will tell I guess! Nope absolutely nothing! Have a degree in human nutrition which believe it or not was less about food/diet and more about physiology/ anatomy/ pharmacology/ immunology etc which I'm hoping would come in useful, and worked in the public health and health development department in a hospital for a good while, but that's about it! To be honest I'm not even sure I could have told you what an EMT was before I applied! :o So half the stuff on this thread is mumbo jumbo to me! Haha. Just seen the job advertised and thought it looked really interesting and something I'd really enjoy. I know I want to work in the public sector and have always been especially interested in emergency services. Makes me feel a little inferior to all you experienced folk! Think I've a lot of research to do if I am lucky enough to get to the next stage - I'm sure you'll fly through your interview! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 228 ✭✭paraletic

.......To be honest I'm not even sure I could have told you what an EMT was before I applied! :o So half the stuff on this thread is mumbo jumbo to me! Haha. Just seen the job advertised and thought it looked really interesting and something I'd really enjoy. I know I want to work in the public sector and have always been especially interested in emergency services. Makes me feel a little inferior to all you experienced folk! Think I've a lot of research to do if I am lucky enough to get to the next stage - I'm sure you'll fly through your interview! :)

don't worry grad10,

lots of the best in the ambulance service had little or no previous experience in the ambulance service or any first aid knowledge at all. although it probably helps a bit, its not a requirement.

good luck with the selection to all of you trying...

paraletic wrote: »
    don't worry grad10,

lots of the best in the ambulance service had little or no previous experience in the ambulance service or any first aid knowledge at all. although it probably helps a bit, its not a requirement.

good luck with the selection to all of you trying...

Thanks paraletic, you have made me feel much more at ease! I'm sure others with little experience will be relieved to hear that also.

Yeah good luck everyone, fingers crossed we all get an interview! :)

Anyone heard anything from NIAS yet? Or know when they will be finished testing people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 kaz_xxxx

I have my test tomorrow. Any tips for it? I have never did an aptitude test before and dont really no wot 2 expect.

My friend has hers on tues so they must be doin more tests this week.

kat :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Tango November.

kaz_xxxx wrote: »
    I have my test tomorrow. Any tips for it? I have never did an aptitude test before and dont really no wot 2 expect.

My friend has hers on tues so they must be doin more tests this week.

kat :D

Is this for NAS/HSE paramedic or a paramedic up in the north ?

Best tip is to be your self and be confident.

Advertisement