Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exercising Rottie puppy

Options
  • 23-10-2009 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭

A friend of mine has a six month old Rottie male puppy. He was advised by his vet that due to the dogs size, he shouldn't walk him for more than 5-10 mins until the dog is 9 months, as he could risk damaging the dogs joints. Has anyone else heard this? He's beginning to feel guilty for not exercising him!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

Jesus - I hope not, my guy is six months and I walk him for about an hour a day. On grass if that makes a difference.

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Yes, it is true!!! I own a rottie and im i show him too so i know a fair bit about them.

Large breeds MUST have restricted exercise until they are fully grown. Their joints can suffer big time until they are fully grown so this means no long walks til they are least a year or more.

Short walks are best and not on too hard ground either, make sure hes not doing much road work.

The rule for puppies of any breed is 5 mins per month of age, so if hes 6 months it should be a max of half hour which can be split.

Plenty of playing at home and in the garden is fine.

Please make sure he doesnt walk the pup too much, if he looks up info online about exercising rottweilers you will say it says to restrict exercise as a pup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Tony H

as andreac said
    5 minutes /month of age is the norm for bigger breeds of dogs . e.g.. your friends Rottweiler should only get about 30 minutes a day , I know its hard but its important for the dogs long term health .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭*Lees*

The 'rule' is 5 minutes per month of age!! I have heard it's a lot better to walk them on grass!
    My pup is 6 months now so the recommended time is 30 minutes, we do go a bit over that because he is a very hyper dog!!
    Another good way of tiring them out is to teach them tricks and playing games like fetch etc!!

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭gypsygirl

Yep, 5 mins per month of age is the rule, my 6 month old rottie Ella gets a 30 min walk every day and lots of play at home with our other two dogs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

gypsygirl wrote: »
    Yep, 5 mins per month of age is the rule, my 6 month old rottie Ella gets a 30 min walk every day and lots of play at home with our other two dogs.

She's gorgeous!

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭gypsygirl

ncmc wrote: »
    She's gorgeous!

Thanks, She's adorable, really friendly and gentle but also a little minx, chewing all my shoes even though shes got plenty of chew toys :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

ncmc wrote: »
    A friend of mine has a six month old Rottie male puppy. He was advised by his vet that due to the dogs size, he shouldn't walk him for more than 5-10 mins until the dog is 9 months, as he could risk damaging the dogs joints. Has anyone else heard this? He's beginning to feel guilty for not exercising him!

Hi as a new rottie owner (my girl is 3 and half months) I find the info on www.rottweiler.net v.good for most of my rottie questions, maybe your friend would like to have a look here, it answered some questions I didn't even know I had! :D

Advertisement