Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Someone recommend me some good books to read

Options
  • 23-10-2009 3:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭

Something exciting, interesting and horizon-broadening please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

This man should be able to help you out;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

michael chabon - the yiddish policeman's union.
    James michener - hawaii
    bill bryson - a short history of everything
    the art of war - sun tzu
    a painted house - john grisham

Any of the jack reacher novels by lee child if you need to switch off for light entertainment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

You might get a serious answer here OP:

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=19

-Funk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 stephodile

I'd definitely recommend 'We Need to Talk About Kevin' by Lionel Shriver. The subject matter is a bit unsettling but if you want something that's incredibly well-written, and will make you think, it's really worth a read.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Ulysses, thank me later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Cadiz

Uum highly subjective thing isn't it so don't come back to me saying 'why'd you recommend that, I can't believe I lost hours of my life reading it etc.' But for what it's worth:

Running with Scissors - Augusten Burroughs
    The Secret History - Donna Tartt
    Stuart, a Life Lived Backwards - Alexander Masters
    Attachment - Isabel Fonseca
    Anything by Graham Greene (esp the Quiet American, The Third Man, Brighton Rock, The Bomb Party)

With agree with previous poster re. We Need To Talk About Kevin..

There have been some great auto/biographies recently too, none of which I can recall right now but will come back on that..

Paul Theoroux's travel stuff is great too..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭O.A.P

Something exciting, interesting and horizon-broadening please.
    Roots if you have'nt already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

The Forensic Science ( fiction ) series of books by Patricia Cornwell .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Cadiz wrote: »
    Paul Theoroux's travel stuff is great too..

Was just going to say the same. The Great Railway Bazaar is his most well known maybe and it's one of my favourite books. I've also read Dark Star Safari and Riding The Iron Rooster, also worth a look. Currently reading Ghost Train to The Eastern Star, his sequel to the Bazaar.
    Definitely a rung above most travel writers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Life: A Users Manual - Georges Perec
    Foucaults Pendulum - Umberto Eco
    Murphy - Samuel Beckett
    Watt - Samuel Beckett
    Anything by Raymond Carver
    Anything by Thomas Pynchon

cashback wrote: »
    Was just going to say the same. The Great Railway Bazaar is his most well known maybe and it's one of my favourite books. I've also read Dark Star Safari and Riding The Iron Rooster, also worth a look. Currently reading Ghost Train to The Eastern Star, his sequel to the Bazaar.
    Definitely a rung above most travel writers.

Riding the Iron Rooster +1, it affected the way I thought about writing and travel and life. Read Dark Star Safari at start of the summer and thought long and hard about aid provision and how I viewed Africa for a long while after that..

Books rock! :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

"Winterland" by Alan Glynn.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/arts-ents/fiction-reviews/underworld-s-faustian-pact-1.927174

It's a Noir thriller, set in post-boom Dublin and explores corruption in high places... among land developers and politicians.

Incredibly well paced and with many surprises.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Harpic

just finished a great book;
    Hellraisers: The Life and Inebriated Times of Burton, Harris, O'Toole and Reed (Hardcover)

by Robert Sellers (Author)

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Seonad

"The brief wondrous life of Oscar Wao" by Junot Díaz

Simply because it's the latest book I've read but it is very interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

Anything by Tracy Chevalier, but especially ''Girl With A Pearl Earring."

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Davao8000

The Laughing Policeman - Sjöwall and Wahlöö

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 PEPPI

A FINE BALANCE.....A BIT HARD TO GET STARTED, BUT LATER HARD TO LEAVE DOWN .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

PEPPI wrote: »
    A FINE BALANCE.....A BIT HARD TO GET STARTED, BUT LATER HARD TO LEAVE DOWN .

WHAT? SPEAK UP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭JCDUB

Dades wrote: »

+10000000

First read about this book on here, brought it on holidays to Thailand and absolutely fell in love with it.
    Best book I've ever read, I've been recommending it to everybody for the last two years!!
    Gonna get "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo" from the library tomorrow on above recommendations..:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 rickman

three great reads

lustrum - robert harris ( random house)
    here comes robert kingdom - peter mc cluskey (location27books.com)
    life of pi - yann martel (picador)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

This is always an interesting kind of thread, because people tend not to suggest their favourite ever books (Though this often overlaps) but those books which may or may not be technically well written or profound, but which had a massive impact on the way they think and operate.

In this spirit I'll recommend one book which challenged a lot of my 'popular cynicism' to the very core - Alduous Huxley's 'Eyeless in Gaza'. In this book you go back and forward in time through the life of the protagonist, as early as his schooldays and as late as his dramatic life change to a public life, deep in the inter war period of political extremism. His cynicism is slowly and cleverly unravelled and revealed for the self gratifying vacuousness it is. Can't recommend it highly enough.

Advertisement