Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AccuWeather

Options
  • 23-10-2009 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Has anyone used this site for getting mountain weather predictions?

It says Sunday will be a clear day for the Macgillycuddy Reeks. But not sure how strong wind gusts actually feel at 53k/h?

Any advice?

Here's the link

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

That wind speed is the gusting speed, and normal wind speed is forecast at 26 km/h, so I wouldn't say it was that bad. The met.ie forecast also forecasts things to clear up on Sunday in the SW, so hopefully things will be OK. I'm possibly heading down that way too, so let's keep our fingers crossed!

BTW, why is it so difficult to get hold of good quality outdoor pursuits based forecasts here? I was in the Lake District in England recently and they had a dedicated phone number for their mountain weather forecasts with cloud heights, visibility, wind speeds at different altitudes, the lot. Here's an example .. http://www.lakedistrict.gov.uk/weatherline/index.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

Alun wrote: »
    BTW, why is it so difficult to get hold of good quality outdoor pursuits based forecasts here?

It'd take the excitement out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Donny5 wrote: »
    It'd take the excitement out of it.
    :D On the day in question when I used the Lake District one, it informed me that there would be constant heavy rain, 50mph winds gusting to over 70mph at 500m, higher above those altitudes with visibility of max 10m. Seeing as I was planning on going up Helvellyn and Striding Edge that day, I decided I didn't need that kind of excitement!

But seriously, c'mon Met Eireann, pull your finger out !! (Pssst ... you could also charge for the info and make some money out of it!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

:D On the day in question when I used the Lake District one, it informed me that there would be constant heavy rain, 50mph winds gusting to over 70mph at 500m, higher above those altitudes with visibility of max 10m. Seeing as I was planning on going up Helvellyn and Striding Edge that day, I decided I didn't need that kind of excitement!

I guess. **** weather's half the fun, though. Doubly so if it's unexpected!
    But seriously, c'mon Met Eireann, pull your finger out !! (Pssst ... you could also charge for the info and make some money out of it!)

Daggonit! Don't be givin' them idears!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

K09 wrote: »
    Hi,

Has anyone used this site for getting mountain weather predictions?

It says Sunday will be a clear day for the Macgillycuddy Reeks. But not sure how strong wind gusts actually feel at 53k/h?

Any advice?

Here's the link

Thanks!

I use it all the time and find it as accurate as anything else online when it comes to mountains.....

Gil

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭grumpygit

You could try this one. http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/today.asp?zipcode=Wicklow

It never gives a correct forecast either

Advertisement