Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bay Windows

• 23-10-2009 3:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭

What is the best way to deal with bay or projecting windows?

There are 3 possibilities;
    1. measure only the wall ope.
    2. measure the wall ope. and also the protruding sides, add together, but use only one orientation(that of the ope).
    3. measure the wall ope. and also the protruding sides, add together, and assign separate orientations for each of the sides.

I'm thinking window element here, not extra floor area which can be ignored.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Bhoypaul

Option 3 would be correct, however compare option 2 and 3 and review the results. I don't think thre will be much difference in the final rating

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭SilverBER

The pedant in me would choose option 3 every time. I have seen and been advised to choose option 2 but I think I'd be hammered by someone in SEI under audit conditions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

SilverBER wrote: »
    The pedant in me would choose option 3 every time. I have seen and been advised to choose option 2 but I think I'd be hammered by someone in SEI under audit conditions.

The me in me does option 3 everytime anyhow.

I hate bay windows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Smcgie

Number 3 here also

• Subscribers Posts: 41,787 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Bhoypaul wrote: »
    Option 3 would be correct, however compare option 2 and 3 and review the results. I don't think thre will be much difference in the final rating

no. 2 for me every time for reasons outlined above....

the difference between a south west vrs south window in an existing assessment is neglible..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Thanks for your answers. I asked because I was thinking of changing from #3 to #2. Negligible difference to results as was pointed out, but I like to have one standard operating procedure.

Heres what SEI had to say;
    As per Section S4 of the DEAP manual “In addition, dwellings may comprise a different construction for some parts of the walls (for example, a timber-framed bay window or panel in an otherwise masonry construction). These are recorded as separate constructional elements.” Therefore you should record both the values for the walls and windows separately within the DEAP software.

Also as per Section S4, as DEAP is concerned with the “building elements that lose heat”, therefore you should be calculating the area of the bay window and walls that lose heat for entry into the DEAP software.

The difference in orientation of the bay window sections may have very little bearing on the overall rating of the dwelling house, however, as each of the elements are to be considered separately as per the guidance given above, it would be more accurate to record these glazed sections separately with their respective orientations. As per section 3 of the DEAP manual: “The orientation of each element containing a glazed component, selected from five orientation options: North, North East/ North West, East/West, South East/ South West, South and Horizontal.”

Who can afford to be a pedant when the punter paying is peanuts?
    (Try saying that after a few pints)
    I reckon the cut price assessors out there wouldn't be bothered with any of this stuff, its just short cuts all the way.

Advertisement