Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ATI radeon 9800 pro

Options
  • 23-10-2009 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I(well, my mate did the most of it) installed a Radeon 9800 PRO in the family computer back in 2005 so I could play higher GFX games back then.

It served the family computer well allowing me to play online etc...

Recently my mother, I haven't used the computer for anything for the last 3 years, has started complaining that there's lines on the screen and things are getting increasingly hard to read.
    I did some looking into it and I reckon it's a combination of the GFX card being overheated, overused and wear & tear. Like I said, we've had a good 4+ years with it.
    I think it's time to get a new card, however, I don't need anything expensive as the mother uses the computer for simple things like surfing the net, skype etc...

I'm not very good with the GFX card end of things and would like if someone could recommend a cheap slution to replace the current card.

It's a Dell Dimension 4550 desktop running Windows XP home with one PCI slot(the 9800 is currently in that slot)

Thanks in advance guys.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,405 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Have you tried dusting the machine? It may be too late to solve the problem. But it would have prevented a lot of the stress on the card if it had been cleaned regularly.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I had one of those 4550s for a long time. They're AGP.

Get an AGP card like this:
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=434118

Also up the RAM to about 1 gig if you haven't already. XP on a gig is quite nice.

It's pretty easy to install the new card.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Chunks

Hi 5suspect,

Thanks for the suggestion, i think i'll go with it.

When installing a GFX card is it similar to just installing a printer etc...? i.e; put it in the machine, put in the cd and follow instructions?

Thanks.

Chunks wrote: »
    Hi 5suspect,

When installing a GFX card is it similar to just installing a printer etc...? i.e; put it in the machine, put in the cd and follow instructions?

Thanks.

Pretty much.
    You can just pull out the card tho. There's a little hook to push at the bottom.
    It'll all be in the manual tho!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Chunks wrote: »
    Hi 5suspect,

Thanks.

REMEMBER

to uninstall the old drivers before installing the new graphics card!

- Drav!

• Advertisement

Yeah, use Driver Cleaner Pro or similar if you want to make things easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

check www.dabs.ie or pixmania to see if you can get a cheaper one

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

or if you want to save a few quid, cook it :)

It worked for mine.

Advertisement