Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comparative Study HELP!!!

Options
  • 23-10-2009 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hey,
    I'm studying dancing at lughnasa, billy elliot and pride and prejudice for my comparative study.

Trying to answer a question on general vision and viewpoint. Our teacher told us that it just means whether the texts positive or negative, which if fine. But how do I develop this in a full comparative answer?:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

swatch wrote: »
    Hey,
    I'm studying dancing at lughnasa, billy elliot and pride and prejudice for my comparative study.

Trying to answer a question on general vision and viewpoint. Our teacher told us that it just means whether the texts positive or negative, which if fine. But how do I develop this in a full comparative answer?:confused:
    Found the problem. Nothing I can do I'm afraid. Unlucky, man!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 yellowbutterfly

Ya finding it really hard too. I know theres a comparative studies book 2010 released now which is savage but it only does certain texts together, and I don't think they do your three. If you can find any sample answers there probably the way to go - there were the only way I made sense of it anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭christina_x

hmm.. i dont know those texts, but i can help on how to do the gv+vp if you like..
    just pick a topic.. like one of the ones i did was culture.
    (i did my LC last year, i compared philladelphia here i come and cinema paradiso)
    so for PHIC i said friel was setting a hopeless scene for the audience, encouraging us to believe that it was an area of little prospects, and there was no love, joy or happiness in the people of the area. this is portrayed by gars relationship with the boys and how they used theyr imagination alot of the time to create fun for themselves. they also had little money and were stuck in theyr teenage mindset, even though they were in theyr mid 20's.
    Toto's village (iv blanked) in CP has many similar aspects to ballybeg, although the fun-loving character Toto always brings a comical aspect to the hardships the locals face, but never tries to hide them. We see this when Toto is sent to the vet when he is ill instead of the doctor, as his family cannot afford a doctors bill. In PHIC, Friel would have used this to emphasise the poverty and hopelessness in the area, but tornatore (i think) uses it to make us laugh and fall in love with the village and its locals.

thats a VERY rough draft, and i forget half of the key points - should be longer. but its just a sample. you could also do it on womens roles, religion ect (depending on what your texts are about/have in common)
    hope it helps

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭MaggieNF

i have loads on billy elliot and dancing at lughnasa, if its any good to ya????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭*giggles*

I friggin' hate Pride and Prejudice. I might do this one instead:
    http://www.amazon.com/Pride-Prejudice-Zombies-Classic-Ultraviolent/dp/1594743347
    It would be far more interesting than those 200 pages of "will he, won't he" that supposedly is "a classic":P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 cli2931

*giggles* wrote: »
    I friggin' hate Pride and Prejudice. I might do this one instead:
    http://www.amazon.com/Pride-Prejudice-Zombies-Classic-Ultraviolent/dp/1594743347
    It would be far more interesting than those 200 pages of "will he, won't he" that supposedly is "a classic":P

Ha ha! I like it! Very funny!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 sineadxxxxxxx

MaggieNF wrote: »
    i have loads on billy elliot and dancing at lughnasa, if its any good to ya????
    could you sent them on to me please? it would be such a help ! thanks! :D

Advertisement