Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Server Value

Options
  • 23-10-2009 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭

Hi all,

I bought a Dell PowerEdge SC440 server around 2 years ago. I thought I might need it for my project but I never required it so it was in storage. I moved house last month and now have to get rid of it so wanted to know the current value as I have no idea how much it is worth.

The specs are below:

PE SC440 Server Tower Chassis (L6)
    C2 Motherboard
    PE SC440 Pentium Dual-Core E2160, 1.8GHz/1MB 800FSB
    1GB Single Rank 667MHz ECC Memory (2x512MB)
    80GB SATA (7,200rpm) 3.5inch Hard Drive
    80GB, SATA, 3.5-inch, 7.2K rpm, Additional HD
    16x DVD Rom

I also bought a 6 Channel PCI Sound Card with it. I didn't purchase any operating system with it but I got Windows Server 2008 from Microsoft which I never used and so it can be used with the system. I think its supposed to be a student edition but it doesn't say so, instead I think it says enterprise edition. I guess it can still be used as a low end home server. Let me know what might be the current value of the system or else please point me in the direction where I can sell it.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

As I recall, these were on offer at the time (I bought a few myself for me/work/others) at around €150 so I wouldn't expect much for it considering spec-wise it's not much better than a PC.

As for where to sell - www.adverts.ie :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

I;d offer ~20€ if its on Adverts...
    Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    As I recall, these were on offer at the time (I bought a few myself for me/work/others) at around €150 so I wouldn't expect much for it considering spec-wise it's not much better than a PC.

As for where to sell - www.adverts.ie :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Hi all,

I bought a Dell PowerEdge SC440 server around 2 years ago. I thought I might need it for my project but I never required it so it was in storage. I moved house last month and now have to get rid of it so wanted to know the current value as I have no idea how much it is worth.

The specs are below:

C2 Motherboard
    16x DVD Rom

I also bought a 6 Channel PCI Sound Card with it. I didn't purchase any operating system with it but I got Windows Server 2008 from Microsoft which I never used and so it can be used with the system. I think its supposed to be a student edition but it doesn't say so, instead I think it says enterprise edition. I guess it can still be used as a low end home server. Let me know what might be the current value of the system or else please point me in the direction where I can sell it.

Thanks

The server 2008 is the most valuable thing there if it is legit. The rest is not really worth much at all without some sort of drive array.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭SoldierForce

For 20€ I'll probably keep it and experiment with the new R2 version of Windows Server 2008.

Is there anyway I can add "some sort of drive array." now? I didn't know about RAID when I bought it. I know now but don't know how to add it. I think there was a different mother board and I also had to add a RAID controller card. I am not sure if I can just add the controller card on this motherboard. Any pointers?

I too bought the server when they had some offers but not for 150! :eek: It was more like 264 or 274. All the same I think I might keep it and experiment on the different server operating systems etc :) Should be fun to learn! I'll be back here off and on with questions :P

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭SoldierForce

BOFH_139 wrote: »
    I;d offer ~20€ if its on Adverts...

Was browsing adverts and came across THIS! :D Maybe he added another "0" by mistake! ;) Why not find out BOFH_139!??? I probably would have advertised mine for 150 if it wasn't for this thread giving me the value of 20€.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

It's a high end business PC with less USB ports and stuff.

Very rough rule of thumb 1% a week value drop :eek:

Figure 5 year life so drop 20% a year for the first few years
    Figure Moores law halves the value every 18-24 months too.

With two drives you can software mirror with windows server.

to get RAID 5 you would need another drive , it too can be done in software but not for the boot partition

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Cluster

Hi all,

The specs are below:

C2 Motherboard
    16x DVD Rom

Thanks

Well on Ebay it's

US $99.99

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Dell-PowerEdge-SC440-1-86-ghz-2gb-ram-raid_W0QQitemZ250532605937QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCOMP_EN_Servers?hash=item3a54e82ff1

Advertisement