Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord won't return deposit

Options
  • 23-10-2009 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hey
    moved out of an apartment at the end of August probably didnt give the landlord sufficient notice but it was the end of our fixed term lease (1 year). in any case I spoke to him after we had moved out and he agreed to return the deposit minus cleaning and painting bills although the painting he was referring to was covering up stains from damp which he said were our fault. place was spotless when we left and in any case when we first moved in he had been living there a few days or so so the place was not clean then either. i passed on my bank details and forwarding address to him (for copies of the cleaning bills) and four weeks since he was supposed to lodge the remaining deposit I havent heard from him. I have left him several messages and tried ringing him endless times but the phone rings out and now for the last week it has been turned off altogether! even if I am being a bit optimistic with the return of the deposit surely I'm entitled to copies of the cleaning bills? the place has since been rented so obviously all this work has been done

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Hi welcome to the forum,
    First off your landlord CAN NOT take money for general cleaning/up keeping for general wear an tear(a damp patch can't be your your fault)
    you can get on the to the regulator for the rent, i can't remember the site.
    do a search though people have asked questions like yours many times

• Registered Users Posts: 78,385 ✭✭✭✭Victor

ciors wrote: »
    Hey
    moved out of an apartment at the end of August probably didnt give the landlord sufficient notice but it was the end of our fixed term lease (1 year).
    there is an opinion about that you don't have to give notice with a fixed term lease.

www.prtb.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭brigadear

Just be aware that the PRTB are useless!. I am currently using them regarding a landlord withholding my deposit from last May and still havent received it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Well I now find myself in the same situation. I wasn't fond of my landlady and didn't trust her as far as I could throw her. I was very tempted to hold out the last months rent so she couldn't pull this crap on me but I did the right thing and here we are.

She withholding all of our deposit, 1200 between the two of us. And she hasn't a leg to stand on, the apartment was perfect. Really sickens me the sense of entitlement some of these assholes have.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

My girlfriend is in a similar situation.

She rang the landlord today to give her notice and he said she wouldn't get all of her deposit back.

I spoke to him on the phone and politely insisted that she is entitled to her full deposit back. He got into a range and repeatedly asked me if I was threatening him, despite my calm demeanor. He then shouted, "are you a barrister or something?" My reply was, we could talk about barristers but it really shouldn't come to that. With that, he hung up. Complete a****le.

We're not sure where to go from here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Just lodge it with the PRTB, it will take ages, but i can't see them siding with the landlord if it's definitely unwarranted.

Advertisement