Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.270 Bullet choice

Options
  • 23-10-2009 4:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭

Hi Lads
    Looking for a bit of info and advice on the bullet choice for deer.
    I shot my first red deer yesterday evening, a 12 pointer. Unforuntalety i dont get to keep the head, it was a friend of mine's brother who asked me to shoot it on his land.

I am still in tears but i will get over it.
    My issue is i have been shooting Sika deer for many years now, and i always use Remengtion Premier AccTip 130g Ballstic tip. I had never had an issue with them on the sika, and have shot them up to a max of 300yards, first shot kills.

The red last night was massive, and it took 3 rounds to take him down, and before you ask, the three shots were in exact placemnt behind the front shoulder on investigation of the animal. He was 300yards on first shot, he ran in torwards me then, the second was at 230yards, and the 3 approx 270yards. He ran a short diatance and then dropped.

My question is, would i have been better using softpoint rounds, or stick with what i am using.
    One thing i did notice is that there was no exit wounds, so the full velocity was taken on impact.
    Your thought would be much appericated.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

What was internal damage like? Shame you couldn't distinguish between what round did what.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭JDBLASER

Well done on the red! Surprised to hear you get on so well with the accutips, I found the kills unimpressive with them and the ballistics very poor compared to Fed 130 nosler balistic tips. I tried the accutips last season and changed very quickly to the fed and the kills were noticably better on sika and reds. I believe norma 140gr v max will soon be available in Ire, they should be the dogs!

Incidentally, the 140gr Nosler Accubond from a .270 looks like a superb killer. Hoping to try the 110gr out of my .25-06 when it arrives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭berettadt10

Howdy Lads,
    The internals at heart, lung area was severe, but i found the round un-impressive. i would have expected a quicker kill. When the first round hit him, it was like he was startled, but didnt react in anyway. i know he would have dropped at some point, but i didnt want him getting 200-300 yards away and face loosing him.

A friend of mine shoots with the 110g Norma. He swears by them, but i believe in the heavier grain round

• Advertisement

A friend of mine shoots with the 110g Norma. He swears by them, but i believe in the heavier grain round

Might be worth thinking about the 140gr Accubond or the 150gr Partition or something so. Federal does a good range.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

deer really amaze me,
    i shot a sika calf this morning the shot was stretchy and it was a mop up shot so i put it low behind the shoulder .

the little fecker went 50 yards ,on inspection the 110gr v max .270 destroyed the heart.
    later i shot a large hybred hind her yearling and calf ,i shot the hind in the same spot low behind the shoulder at about the same range the hind never tuck a step.

firstly your animal was dead on its feet from the first shot "IF" it was a well placed hart/lung.

i have used norma SST interbonds in 130gr there a light mag round ,they group the same as the 110gr v max ,handy.they would give you good penetration with a bit extra slap.

also as JD says federal 130gr ballistic tips possible the best all round for the 270 . they can be got in 140gr also mite be better for the bigger animal.

Cheers all.
    Totally amazing the difference in some kills. Thats my first red so cant really comment on those, but normally sika just drop, i havent lost any sika to date. The odd one might get up and stagger a little but thats it.
    Thinks i will have a look at Ferdral 130g.
    tks

Advertisement