Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thigh Boots Aren't Slutty - Some Reading (Lady author)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭LadyE

But how practical are these :confused:

6a00d83452747269e20120a544eafb970b-500wi

I have seen thigh highs look great, the shorter thigh highs Im talking about here, rather than the very long ones.

A women on the dart was wearing them, they looked extremely well with her office gear and I was starting at them the whole time! Dying to ask her where she got them, raging I didnt now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,018 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

LadyE wrote: »
    But how practical are these :confused:

I have seen thigh highs look great, the shorter thigh highs Im talking about here, rather than the very long ones.

A women on the dart was wearing them, they looked extremely well with her office gear and I was starting at them the whole time! Dying to ask her where she got them, raging I didnt now.

Not the best image to choose there as that is the woman who modeled the boots on the Pretty Woman posters way back in 1990. They DO look tacky, but as Teri (the poster) was pointing out, a good quality leather pair are highly desireable at the moment with prices from around $1500 to over $3000.

Sure they aren't practical which is why they really should be saved for special events/moments/occasions. They don't all have to be so high as well, both in the boot length and heel height. I've seen some lovely versions without a stiletto heel so like anything a balance can be struck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭captainspeckle

im sorry.. but they are not nice! i dont think they slutty just because of the association with "Pretty Woman", i think they look slutty because they are extremely cheap looking and quite frankly... tacky!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I think my pc just cought the clap from that link... I've had to reboot twice since I clicked on it :confused: seriously..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭LadyE

Would be interested to see some without the stiletto heel.

But I agree, they dont HAVE to look tacky/slutty. The more expensive leather ones are much better looking than the bad quality fake leather/PVC variety.

They can be made practical though, as I said about the ones I saw on the lady on the train. Im betting that if someone put a post here looking for opinions on "thigh-highs in the office" the general opinion would be 'no wayyy' because everyone automatically pictures the pretty women/tacky ones.

More exposure of the nice ones will (hopefully) change peoples perception of this particular footwear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I have to say I am not a fan of thigh highs as a general rule.

I think 99% of the time they look cheap and trampy, but when they are done well they can look amazing. The problem is they are so rarely worn well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,018 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

im sorry.. but they are not nice! i dont think they slutty just because of the association with "Pretty Woman", i think they look slutty because they are extremely cheap looking and quite frankly... tacky!

Are you saying an expensive fashion house pair of thigh boots look cheap and slutty? I ask this as I've already mentioned than we aren't talking about the pair in the image above. They are an example of 'bad' boots as opposed to a high quality pair that really can help make an outfit.

I've previously linked to the image below which are a chanel pair. When worn with the right outfit it's a stunning look.

Floridi_threads_672723.jpg

Another great look:

hayden-panettiere-thigh-high-boots-04.preview.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭Astrogeek

^ ^ The first image is really pretty but surely you would get a safer to pull off look with shiny leggings and heels?
    And the second image, I'm sorry but they do nothing for her thighs...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Are you saying an expensive fashion house pair of thigh boots look cheap and slutty?
    Another great look:

ANYTHING designer can look cheap when worn in the wrong way or by the 'wrong' person (e.g. the way most WAGS dress).

This photo is verging on trampy IMO.

The problem with thigh high boots is that they are almost always worn by skanky looking or overweight women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭carasbars

I suppose its down to the individual's dress sense really, I was in London last weekend and saw quite a few people wearing these, some looked great...while others, well it just looked cheap and tacky

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭captainspeckle

Are you saying an expensive fashion house pair of thigh boots look cheap and slutty? I ask this as I've already mentioned than we aren't talking about the pair in the image above. They are an example of 'bad' boots as opposed to a high quality pair that really can help make an outfit.

I've previously linked to the image below which are a chanel pair. When worn with the right outfit it's a stunning look.

Floridi_threads_672723.jpg

Another great look:

in the first picture they dont even look like thigh boots they look like some kind of weird pants and in the second they look nasty imo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

It helps if they're flat and the rest of the outfit isn't flashy imho. But this is a trend I'm going to skip because it's a bit flash in the pan imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Thigh-highs - no. Nothing against them but they're too OTT for me. And look awkward as hell. And I can't imagine them being very comfortable in a packed, roasting pub.
    As a four/five-year-old in the early '80s, I used to put on my mother's thigh-highs. :pac:

Knee-highs - <3. Not the ones with the really pointed toe and super-narrow, super-high spiked heels though.

Could this be the most discussed topic on Fashion & Appearance? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

boots3_632983a.jpg

This look is ok-ish imo (from last Sunday's Style magazine) Not for me tho!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭Shinyboots

hey all,

Yea it's defo down to the cost of them, real cheap ones tend to look cheap, but I have seen some costly ones recently and they don't look tacky......I'm sure they could be worn to the office!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BumbleB

I hate Uggs but Boots on a woman for me ,ooh la la ! very nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭Shinyboots

BumbleB wrote: »
    I hate Uggs but Boots on a woman for me ,ooh la la ! very nice.

uggs and thigh's two very different boots!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 eimear.style

Can look amazing if and only of worn with the right outfit!

http://www.whowhatwear.com/website/home.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 claire_m

I wear my thigh highs to the office now and then ....it depends on how they are worn..... so they can either look classy or v.cheap !!

Good quality leather is essential for the right look

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭1071823928

i think thigh high boots are gorgeous! you just need to find a flattering way to wear them!! :) a definate favourite for me!!!

thigh_high_boots_kate_moss_4.jpg

Thigh-High-Boots.jpg

Thigh-High-Boots.jpg

BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭irishvamp90

hanner wrote: »
    i think thigh high boots are gorgeous! you just need to find a flattering way to wear them!! :) a definate favourite for me!!!

thigh_high_boots_kate_moss_4.jpg

Thigh-High-Boots.jpg

Thigh-High-Boots.jpg

BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!

yep true

Advertisement