Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why no march against public sector

Options
  • 23-10-2009 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭

IF There is massive rage in private sector towards public sector why no march in the towns and cities of Ireland planned?

We march against everything else!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

why bother

let them run the country further into the ground

they are only hurting themselves in the long term by striking

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Hurting us and the future for our kids also!

Hurting us and the future for our kids also!

they have more to loose in long term

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

Because the "massive rage" against the public sector is the preserve of a few bitter internet hacks TBH. In real life there is some dissatisfaction with the public sector, sure, but there is also some understanding. I have heard anecdotal evidence that the increase in unemployment has aided the public perception of the PS in some ways, because more people were going into dole offices and so they actually got to see PS workers incredibly stressed and run off there feet, yet performing their duties efficiently and satisfactorily in the circumstances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

Because the "massive rage" against the public sector is the preserve of a few bitter internet hacks TBH. In real life there is some dissatisfaction with the public sector, sure, but there is also some understanding. I have heard anecdotal evidence that the increase in unemployment has aided the public perception of the PS in some ways, because more people were going into dole offices and so they actually got to see PS workers incredibly stressed and run off there feet, yet performing their duties efficiently and satisfactorily in the circumstances.

What a load of Bull.

Over paid , underworked shelfish ingrates with a guaranteed pensionable job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭schween

Or a march against Congress?

What a load of Bull.

Damn. You've finally cracked the secret of public sector workers...
    DSCF1099.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Yeah so anyway we don't march often despite the few marches that have occurred for invested interests.

As for people that don't think the public sector should strike but think they need a pay cut. They don't need to march because that is what is going to happen. okay there maybe one or two days strike but realistically even the unions know the government can't pay out and the realistic people in the public service do too.

So basically there is no need to march as that is what is going to happen. People here aren't complaining but trying to reason with the people that haven't woken up to the situation we are in yet. And none of us want your pay cut, we just know the government can't afford to pay you and if they increase taxes much further, the economy will get worse and if they borrow it, the ECB/IMF will eventually say enough is enough and then you'll see what real cuts look like.

So cope the fook on and realise nobody wants to cut your pay, your pay has to be cut :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭thethedev

Yeah lets divide the country so that instead of fighting the real problems we can just squabble amongst ourselves.
    Just like the way we were when the English arrived, and we all know what happened then.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,025 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

thethedev wrote: »
    Yeah lets divide the country so that instead of fighting the real problems we can just squabble amongst ourselves.
    Just like the way we were when the English arrived, and we all know what happened then.
    The country is already divided, into those with secure well paid and very well pensioned jobs, and those that pay for it all ;)

• Advertisement

murphaph wrote: »
    The country is already divided, into those with secure well paid and very well pensioned jobs, and those that pay for it all ;)
    That divide is not along public and private sector though. It is the divide between those at the top who run the show and everyone else. Those in the former category include people in the private sector, and those in the latter category include people in the public sector.

That divide is not along public and private sector though. It is the divide between those at the top who run the show and everyone else. Those in the former category include people in the private sector, and those in the latter category include people in the public sector.

so our government who are subset of the public sector dont run the show :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭murf313

What a load of Bull.

any links for that???

irish begrudgery at its best.......

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

what a crock of s##t to be honest

The real reason that there won't be protests is that too many households have an income from the public sector, there are something like 330k public sector employees, everyone has a relative and or friends employed in the PS and are simply unwilling to be seen to protest against them. It just won't happen because too many households gain from it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

The divide is completly along the lines of public v private, your only codding yourself if you think otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 7,357 ✭✭✭bladespin

The public sector haven't actually done anything to provoke marching yet (do we always march? News to me), I think they're entitled to voice disappointment at threatened wage cuts etc. The unions have made calls etc but no-one's downed tools AFIK.

BTW I'm a private sector worker, just in case you're wondering.

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    so our government who are subset of the public sector dont run the show :confused:
    They run the show, but so do the heads of the banks and large corporations. You'll find that all those people are very well looked after financially.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,505 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Those in the former category also include union heads who are still milking it. Take Begg for example - non-executive director of Aer Lingus and is also on the board of the Central Bank.
    No conflict of interests there eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

ahh leave them at it, it'll only give more people a better excuse to leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

worst thread EVAR

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,402 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

too busy working (private sector)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

IF There is massive rage in private sector towards public sector why no march in the towns and cities of Ireland planned?We march against everything else!
    Because there isn't. Unless you write for the 'Independent'.

People know who the real villains are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

IF There is massive rage in private sector towards public sector why no march in the towns and cities of Ireland planned?

We march against everything else!

i myself am willing to partake in any planned counter demonstration , i feel very strongly about seeing my country destroyed by unelected scum like jack o connor

i will happily travel to wherever the battle lies

thebman wrote: »
    Yeah so anyway we don't march often despite the few marches that have occurred for invested interests.

As for people that don't think the public sector should strike but think they need a pay cut. They don't need to march because that is what is going to happen. okay there maybe one or two days strike but realistically even the unions know the government can't pay out and the realistic people in the public service do too.

So basically there is no need to march as that is what is going to happen. People here aren't complaining but trying to reason with the people that haven't woken up to the situation we are in yet. And none of us want your pay cut, we just know the government can't afford to pay you and if they increase taxes much further, the economy will get worse and if they borrow it, the ECB/IMF will eventually say enough is enough and then you'll see what real cuts look like.

So cope the fook on and realise nobody wants to cut your pay, your pay has to be cut :rolleyes:

oh cuts will come , im just not sure they will be signed off on by and irish elected goverment , brian cowen is an incredibly weak willed man , even today he was blathering on about finding common ground with the social partners , how the man can carry that keg under his jumper is beyond me , the man is spineless

Tipp Man wrote: »
    what a crock of s##t to be honest

The real reason that there won't be protests is that too many households have an income from the public sector, there are something like 330k public sector employees, everyone has a relative and or friends employed in the PS and are simply unwilling to be seen to protest against them. It just won't happen because too many households gain from it

ive said it a million times , if their is one thing irish people value , its keeping money in the family

thinking of the national interest is an alien concept to most people in this country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

irish_bob wrote: »
    i myself am willing to partake in any planned counter demonstration , i feel very strongly about seeing my country destroyed by unelected scum like jack o connor

i will happily travel to wherever the battle lies

How is Jack O'Connor destroying our country?? He was elected General President of SIPTU, most of its members are private sector workers.

too busy working (private sector)
    Really? I thought all the private sector workers had been laid off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Really? I thought all the private sector workers had been laid off.

No just lots, if all had been laid off you'd be fooking homeless yourself.

People like you should be the first to be let go and let people that actually want to work for a fair wage have your position. Loads of them in the dole queue just waiting to have your job for less than your willing to do it for :rolleyes:

Absurdum wrote: »
    How is Jack O'Connor destroying our country?? He was elected General President of SIPTU, most of its members are private sector workers.

i and the majority of the population never saw a box beside his name on any ballot paper yet he plays russian roulette with the countrys economic future by threatning to bring the country to a standstill unless illegitimite demands are met

• Advertisement

thebman wrote: »
    No just lots, if all had been laid off you'd be fooking homeless yourself.

People like you should be the first to be let go and let people that actually want to work for a fair wage have your position. Loads of them in the dole queue just waiting to have your job for less than your willing to do it for :rolleyes:
    Are you implying that I am a member of the public sector?

Because if you are, you are wrong.

Advertisement