Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why no march against public sector

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

irish_bob wrote: »
    i and the majority of the population never saw a box beside his name on any ballot paper yet he plays russian roulette with the countrys economic future
    Who did you vote for? Sean FitzPatrick?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Are you implying that I am a member of the public sector?

Because if you are, you are wrong, but then that's nothing new.

No I'm saying you need to learn to think before you post :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

thebman wrote: »
    No I'm saying you need to learn to think before you post :rolleyes:
    You need to learn to discuss the issue rather than personalising everything.

FWIW I wouldn't wish for you to be sacked, despite our disagreements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

You need to learn to discuss the issue rather than personalising everything.

FWIW I wouldn't wish for you to be sacked, despite our disagreements.
    Really? I thought all the private sector workers had been laid off.

You should not make statements like this when there are so many unemployed in the country IMO. It is ridiculously disrespectful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭aftermn

Wallies, the lot of you.

Are AIB public or private sector?

In our current environment should they be getting a pay rise?

Should NAMA protect our taxpayers or the shareholders/bondholders?

You are being side-tracked.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

i and the majority of the population never saw a box beside his name on any ballot paper yet he plays russian roulette with the countrys economic future by threatning to bring the country to a standstill unless illegitimite demands are met

the (almost) majority of the population did, however, see and tick the box next to FF......you need to get real here

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Absurdum wrote: »
    How is Jack O'Connor destroying our country?? He was elected General President of SIPTU, most of its members are private sector workers.

Unions are dying:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0410/unions.html

They don't represent most workers anymore, they are a Public Sector lobby group.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

ok :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

i myself am willing to partake in any planned counter demonstration , i feel very strongly about seeing my country destroyed by unelected scum like jack o connor

i will happily travel to wherever the battle lies

Bring it on :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

Absurdum wrote: »
    the (almost) majority of the population did, however, see and tick the box next to FF......you need to get real here

whats your point exactly

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 45 wicklowmale

Ok i have a few questions and if anyone can provide some REAL answers that would be great.

1) Re: Pensions: I understand in the private sector when you retire we can take one yrs salary tax free, isn't it correct that the Public sector you can take 1.5-2 times your salary tax free? In this case i can understand they should contribute more towards pesions than the private sector

2) Why should the private sector take the brunt of the redundancies in the country? approx. 200,000 so far in the private sector but none in the Public sector

3) Economists in ireland and abroad (IMF) agree that considering the number of ppl employed in the Public sector, the yearly payrole bill is much too high.

4) As the IMF is helping to provide Ireland, and other European countries to get through this recession, If ireland does not do something serious with the Public sector(ie wage cuts, reduced overtime, redundancies etc) the IMF has the power to come in and take control. This is understanding and realistic, it would be like any bank calling in a examiner or creditor to over see the running of any company that is unable to pay its loans.

Can ppl provide real answers to the above?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

Ok i have a few questions and if anyone can provide some REAL answers that would be great.

1)
    2)
    3)
    4)

Can ppl provide real answers to the above?
    Let's add:
    5) Why are we bailing out the banks?
    6) Why are we interfering in the property market?

It's odd that you want financial and market realities to apply to one part of the economy and not to others.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Here's some more people/groups you might consider marching against:
    -Fianna Fáil
    -developers
    -Bankers/banksters, Irish & US
    -Estate Agents/Auctioneers
    -The Irish Central Bank
    -Irish Financial Regulator

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭diverdriver

We're bailing out the banks because we need banks. The economy needs banks. I need banks, you need banks. If the banks crashed, the country would quickly follow. That's why.

To go back to the original point, there is no march against the public sector because the supposed animosity against them is mostly propaganda and largely invented by their unions based on some media attitudes. The reason is simple. All of us have some connection with or relative in the public service. No one is blaming them for the recession. This is largely a myth invented by their unions to try an unify them.

However that may all change, if the public generally see them using their privileged position to avoid the worst of the cutbacks. If they go on strike and make life even more difficult for the rest of us. That will soon turn any residual sympathy into outright hostility.

People working in the PS aren't stupid. Most know they have take cuts. It has to be done. The fact that their unions seems to have an agenda which seem to involve worsening the situation will soon become obvious. There simply isn't enough private sector tax to pay their wages anymore. If nothing is done. They won't be paid at all. That's the reality they face.

I firmly believe their unions are fomenting much of this for their own political agenda. They're will be riots on November 6th, the usual anti capitalist suspects will start the trouble. Beggs has already set the tone. 'A once in a generation opportunity'. They are delighted with this opportunity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

We're bailing out the banks because we need banks. The economy needs banks. I need banks, you need banks. If the banks crashed, the country would quickly follow. That's why.

To go back to the original point, there is no march against the public sector because the supposed animosity against them is mostly propaganda and largely invented by their unions based on some media attitudes. The reason is simple. All of us have some connection with or relative in the public service. No one is blaming them for the recession. This is largely a myth invented by their unions to try an unify them.

However that may all change, if the public generally see them using their privileged position to avoid the worst of the cutbacks. If they go on strike and make life even more difficult for the rest of us. That will soon turn any residual sympathy into outright hostility.

People working in the PS aren't stupid. Most know they have take cuts. It has to be done. The fact that their unions seems to have an agenda which seem to involve worsening the situation will soon become obvious. There simply isn't enough private sector tax to pay their wages anymore. If nothing is done. They won't be paid at all. That's the reality they face.

I firmly believe their unions are fomenting much of this for their own political agenda. They're will be riots on November 6th, the usual anti capitalist suspects will start the trouble. Beggs has already set the tone. 'A once in a generation opportunity'. They are delighted with this opportunity.

excellent post , ive been saying for a while that for the likes of jack o connor , this is about much more than nurse and teacher pay , for him its about a much broader idealogical war , he has witnessed almost twenty years of relative prosperity and is dammned if he is going to miss his chance to strike a blow against capitalism , the irony being that it is capitalism which has enriched both him and his union members

• Registered Users Posts: 14,402 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Really? I thought all the private sector workers had been laid off.
    3 day week at start of year 10% pay cut (luckily back full time), and i'm working the bank holiday tomorrow for no extra what about yourself ?

Advertisement