Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where can i get my africian gery parrots sexed

Options
  • 23-10-2009 4:58pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25

anyhting feather,dna,or surgicial thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭Lizard Queen

i suggest ring up your vet clinic , it would be sexed by taking a blood sample might be expensive as its not run of the mill

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Satyr_The_Great

From what i know, they have to have a blood sample taken as was previously said. Send a private message to FAYSEY on here,, she is a mod and she knows her exotic animals pretty well and knows parrots too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

If you study your birds behaviour you might be able to guess for now, but Bairbre O'Malley vets does it here's her info. http://www.veterinary.ie/Avian%20Services%20&%20Health%20Care%20Products.htm
    Surgically it involves an anesthetic methinks so best avoid any unnecessary anesthetics with birds if possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Pwezem

wat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Pwezem wrote: »
    wat

Pointless/off-topic posts are not needed

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭FAYESY

I got my birds dna sexed - blood checked & micro chiped all under 1 anaesthetic - risky but they use very little anaesthetic & its over with very quickly.

I use Bairbre O'Malley.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭Lizard Queen

you dnt need an anesthic to take a blood sample from a bird, worked with exotics vet in usa and we neva used anesthic , you just need a good handler

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

True, I've had blood taken from a budgie before and can't remember is the tiel had one taken but he's had his share of needles. I think the anesthetic is used for the microchip, birds being smaller, thinner skin or perhaps or more delicate the chip might be more painful than on a cat or dog (correct me if I'm wrong).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭FAYESY

A birds skin is so thin the chip needs to go into the chest muscle - too much pain if they are not knocked out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

FAYESY wrote: »
    A birds skin is so thin the chip needs to go into the chest muscle - too much pain if they are not knocked out.

OWW, that sounds very painful. I was wondering why they would need anastethic.
    Do many bird owners get this done?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Can you not look between its legs?

Advertisement