Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supreme Court Backlog ?

Options
  • 23-10-2009 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭

Just to depart,momentarily, from the impending meltdown and implosion of Ireland as we know it,do we have any information on the current state of play with the Supreme Court as regards impending cases of Public Interest ?

I am particularly keen to hear the judgement in the Pamela Izevbekhai "Asylum" case,which most definitely has a number of points most clearly in need of SC decision.

Has the Zoe/Shipsey production left the Supreme Court with a logjam ?

The general level of,well.....silence from ALL sides appears odd when placed alongside the level of strident debate which raged all around us in the past..:) :o

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

What points need to be clarified in the Izevbekhai case ?

I thought it seemed fairly straightfroward.

It's interesting that her counsel is a former Refugee Appeals Tribunal member.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

2. 393/08 & 64/09 Izeubekhai & ors -v- Minister for Justice Equality and Law Reform

Looks like the case is for mention on the 6th November

http://www.courts.ie/legaldiary.nsf/a0b54bb3745b386280256c4b0024092b/f90a932bdaa8ab2a802576580048d40a?OpenDocument

I am amazed whoever is funding her case is still willing to pay up. It is a very expensive exercise to bring a case to the Supreme Court!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Who are you referring to when you say there's silence all around. The Supreme Court has said before they've too few judges and resources. I don't think the Zoe cases have created a log jam in the SC. Looking at the website they seem to be getting on with things alright. Same old same old.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

Rosco1982 wrote: »
    What points need to be clarified in the Izevbekhai case ?

I thought it seemed fairly straightfroward.

It's interesting that her counsel is a former Refugee Appeals Tribunal member.

interesting that her counsel is a former RAT member? not really.

as you would be aware, many counsel for the DPP in criminal cases have/will acted/act for defendants in other cases which dpp bring charges.

kind of reminds me of the lawyer in the south park episode where chef sues for copyright of his song stinky bridges..... look at chubacka,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Oh look, now newstalk are reporting that a "threatening postcard" :rolleyes: posted from Alicante was sent to her lawyers (which ones now?) saying "back off now."

As a result they are saying they don't want to represent her this morning.

Amazing how these "setbacks" happen to delay the court case again and again. :rolleyes: How many years has this case been running now?I've lost count. But I'd be seriously concerned that some party or parties with an agenda are deliberately manipulating these events to make sure that this case doesn't get heard.

Cui bono?

No wonder there's a backlog in cases in the Supreme Court with all this kind of crap going on continually.

• Advertisement
Advertisement