Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Adorama.com

• 23-10-2009 5:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Looking at purchasing a wide angle lens after I lost one to a bog-pool at the bottom of Lugnaquilla. Thinking of going for the Tokina 12-24mm and after some research, looks like the best value is at adorama.com.

http://www.adorama.com/TN1224NKAF.html

Anyone any experience of using this company, I have used Keaphoto before but prices look to have gone up recently.

Cheers,
    Paul

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

they are a very good company. Well recognised and recommended. Based in New York I think.

The only thing to be worried about is that you will be charged customs and excise (sp?) but it still works out cheaper than here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Does anyone know how to guestimate the duty applicable on something like a lens?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭paulocon

swingking wrote: »
    they are a very good company. Well recognised and recommended. Based in New York I think.

The only thing to be worried about is that you will be charged customs and excise (sp?) but it still works out cheaper than here

Cheers for that. Can I take it for granted that customs will process the lens and that there will be a charge?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

paulocon wrote: »
    Cheers for that. Can I take it for granted that customs will process the lens and that there will be a charge?

I'm not really sure to be honest. Either the courier will send you the bill or if it is already part of the full price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

Does anyone know how to guestimate the duty applicable on something like a lens?

V.A.T and Duty are usually charged on the value of the item here not where you bought it. There is also a Post Office handling fee of €5. Some items will still work out a little cheaper

I have got plenty of stuff from Adorama and they are good to deal with. However the price difference is closing quite a bit on a good few items its more the difference in price between U.K. based shops and companies and Irish shops where we notice the big diference in price. I would suggest shop around here first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Carrigman

When importing items from the USA add 21% to the (American) price of the goods plus postage. That is what you will have to pay the courier as the courier is charged with collecting the customs& excise duties.

Unlike Hong Kong eBay retailers the Americans (and definitely not an established firm like Adorama) will not mark down the price on the customs declaration in order to save you money.

Carrigman wrote: »
    When importing items from the USA add 21% to the (American) price of the goods plus postage. That is what you will have to pay the courier as the courier is charged with collecting the customs& excise duties.

Unlike Hong Kong eBay retailers the Americans (and definitely not an established firm like Adorama) will not mark down the price on the customs declaration in order to save you money.

It depends on who is delivering the parcel. Not all items/parcels are stopped in the post so may actually get it for the amount you pay on your credit card transaction. Its luck whether your parcel is stopped and opened.

Carraigman, Is that 21% if the parcel is C.O.D? There is a sales tax in New york but that will be charged atpoint of purchase

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Carrigman

LeoB wrote: »
    It depends on who is delivering the parcel. Not all items/parcels are stopped in the post so may actually get it for the amount you pay on your credit card transaction. Its luck whether your parcel is stopped and opened.

Carraigman, Is that 21% if the parcel is C.O.D? There is a sales tax in New york but that will be charged atpoint of purchase

I don't think any of the major retailers like Adorama will do C.O.D to Ireland so you will be caught for the NYC sales tax. The 21% is on the total you pay plus the postage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

It's quite simple really. You pay 21% on the total cost of the item + delivery. If I rememeber correctly, it's 4% duty on photography gear. Then you will be charged a broker fee.

Here's the spiel.... Companys like UPS pay the VAT and Duty for you as it goes through customs and then charge you for the pleasure of doing it. Usually around 10%. It's a total scam. It's in their interest to do it, so you'll definitely get charged (caught :eek:). I suggest you budget for it.

So to add it all up...
    Item cost $100
    Shipping UPS $58
    VAT + Duty $37
    Broker $4

Total cost $199

The real killer here is the cost of the shipping. IMO, There's no point in bring in anything from the US if it the item costs only $100 or so. For more expensive purchases it makes a little more sense.

The 21% is on the total you pay plus the postage.

But remember, If caught by Irish customs you pay 21% on the Irish value plus Duty (not sure of the duty) plus the €5 post office fee no matter what the seller tells you so it is really worth while to check and compare prices very carefully

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

oshead wrote: »
    Here's the spiel.... Companys like UPS pay the VAT and Duty for you as it goes through customs and then charge you for the pleasure of doing it. Usually around 10%. It's a total scam. It's in their interest to do it, so you'll definitely get charged (caught :eek:). I suggest you budget for it.

I think it's all couriers, not just UPS. If they send it USPS then chances are you might get away but private couriers always seem to charge - as oshead says, it's in their interest - handy money for them.

If courier firms charge 10% then it is cheaper to get it sent by U.S Mail service. The only fee you get hit for is €5 by An Post no matter the cost. I would say all items are not checked by customs and excise. but from what I gather its pot luck so the courier firms are basically charging for everything even if their manifest is not examined by the state!

Will confirm this on Tuesday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

I might be heading state side near xmass, NY state, so if I buy a few bits over there do I just take em out of the boxes n stuff and just pack em away into my bag ?

More or less. My wife brought me home a 70-200 f2.8 lens last year. I gave here a camera body to bring and she put the lens on it and took a few shots. All the paper work, receipts, guarentee etc was posted home.

Mind you its not worth it with some items now as the price gap has closed quite a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

More or less. My wife brought me home a 70-200 f2.8 lens last year. I gave here a camera body to bring and she put the lens on it and took a few shots. All the paper work, receipts, guarentee etc was posted home.

Mind you its not worth it with some items now as the price gap has closed quite a bit.

Which direction ! less for us or more in the US :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 HelenOster

swingking wrote: »

Thank you!

You may find what you are looking for, here:

http://www.revenue.ie/en/customs/index.html

There is a sales tax in New york .....

There is, but unless the package is being delivered within NYC, (or New Jersey, as we have warehousing there), State tax is not applicable.

Correct...

If you have any questions or queries relating to Adorama Camera, please don't hesitate to contact me directly.

Helen Oster
    Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador

helen.oster@adoramacamera.com
    www.adorama.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

go to bhphotovideo.com/ and find the same item, in the checkout when u choose shipping they will show all the vat charges for ireland, fed ex charges handling and processing fees. u have the option of pre paying the vat or waiting till it arrives. both times I ordered from there I got hit heavy with tax on second hand stuff, ended up paying double price because of Irish valuation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

bhphotovideo and adorama are very similar but I like the fact that adorama have a better stock of secondhand and refurbs, especially canon pro dslr bodies

Chorcai wrote: »
    Which direction ! less for us or more in the US :)
    A bit of both. In fairness to Irish shops of which I have been critical in the past the prices have come down a bit on some items. I have been told by a friend who lives in the U.S that prices have sneaked up a little on some electronic gear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,507 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If you know someone living in the US who comes home to Ireland the odd time, you can order from Adorama, pay with Paypal and they will deliver to your friend in the US, it doesn't matter to them who pays if it's Paypal. I did this last year and it worked a treat, my friend wasn't involved with any of the finances so there was no messing about trying to pay her in dollars or converting the dollars to Euros, the goods were delivered to her house, she brought them home on her next trip and handed them to me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement