Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Got speed of 6.7 in April 09, now max is 3.5 with BT line synch is 4.1mb??

• 23-10-2009 5:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,579 ✭✭✭

I am confused and mesmerised. I am on the up to 7.6 mb package with BT, I am 4.6KM from exhcange in ENNIS. I dont test speed every week, maybe I should have done, but now it averages out at 3.46 in good times and above 1mb when bad. You Tube buffering is the real bugbear. This has only become noticeable over the last 2 months.

This week I bit the bullet and rang BT and after long talks with Tech department I was advised that line synchs at 4096 and the best I can get is 3.5. I must admit I did not have the speed for April to hand. So I am paying for up to 7.6 and getting just above 3.4 so they are exempt from any comeback. I did say I was going to go back to eircom and he said they would only give me 2.5mb. I rang eircom and got through to tech department and was told line was good for up to 3mb and they would sell the 3mb package or less.

The thing is, eircom were not sure if the line was upgraded for the 7.6 package and just shrugged when I told them about the d/l speed in April 09. Is it possible the line was never upgraded properly and I am lucky to be getting 3.5 or was the reading in April a fluke?? It was done twice with speedtest.net

any suggestions?

gb--

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

did you look into that motorway at all ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 HT5

Hi GBCULLEN,

4.6 Km is a fair bit terms of DSL. Distances of over 2 Km from a DSL exchange can decrease bandwidth considerably.

I'm not sure if you've already heard but BT private customers are being migrated to Vodafone.

You can actually call Vodafone to get your migration fast tracked. It probably won't make a big difference in terms of speed, but you might get better support.

It does sound though like 3.5 is about the max you'll get. This could have something to do with your distance from the exchange. But, 3.5 Mbps should not give you any trouble with Youtube, etc. as it is still a fairly decent speed. The problem might be with the quality of your connection. Perhaps packets are getting lost or something.

What service did you use to test your connection? I might be able to recommend a better one...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,579 ✭✭✭swoofer

Thanks both. I may not be making myself very clear but the speed is getting worse as time goes by. When I had the 3mb package it seemed to work fine ie constant speeds all the time. This was from August 2007. Then in 08 I got a memo abou the upgrade to 7.6 supposedly in June bu then it was delayed. When I evenetually got it it was faster ie closes to 4mb all the time. Then recently it kept getting slower and slower. I use speedtest to test and to be honest I dont test speed very often but recently its gone downhill.

The bit that gets me is that in April 09 I got 6.64mb and then 6.76 so I was delighted. I did not test again until May and got a 1.59 in the evening reading. Then next time was Augist and did a few and got 3.45 consistently but all in the am. Now I have done quite a few tests and after 1pm it goes down to 1.3 and even worse. Tonight it is 1.66 just now.

BT says it is the contention, ( I am on 24:1) ie more using it. But even after 1pm it can slow up. Eirrcom dont want to know and apparently they say I will get 2.5 if I go back.

I cant understand why the high speeds back in april 09.

@sponge bob I dont know where to go(sic) re motorway. I think it opened in Dec 07 and I was on 3mb then.

Its only because I have a bit of free time. I think I'll just have to wait for wimax or something better. By the way my average according to speedtest is 1.77 and my best is 2.99.

If I got at least 3.5 consitently I would be at ease.

gb--

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 HT5

Do you think you might be able to get a higher speed again if you run a speed test perhaps at some random different times?

If you use the following speed test you'll be able to get a detailed report and print it out for your record.

http://www.irishisptest.com/runmyspeed.php

When the test has completed, there will be a link to a detailed analysis - you can save this or print it out.

A contention ratio of 24:1 isn't too bad. On most packages offered, the ratio is 48:1.

If you definitely got over 6 Mbps before then there shouldn't be any reason not to be able to get it now unless the line was actually downgraded.

Another question: has anything in your home changed? As in, did you get a new router, or did you change the position of the router, did you change the phone line or extend it, etc.

Also, if you use wireless, try attaching your computer directly to the modem using an Ethernet cable and then run the speed test again.

Advertisement