Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Events - Offering More Than They Can?

Options
  • 23-10-2009 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭

I've been in college now since September and I'm loving every minute, both on campus and off. However, I've began to become reluctant to go to clubbing events. I've been all over Europe in clubs both on the floor and VIP (College and normal events)

And frankly they are nothing compared to Irish events (I'm Irish by the way). I'm sick of Soc's and Clubs, coming together and offering "Gallons of this and Promo's that" No event I've been to so far I would even remotely class as Excellent or Noteworthy. This isn't directed at any UCD institution either as I've attended other colleges events. I know we all pay our money and get the choice, but for €2, €5 and especially €10+ I expect a reasonable night. Even themed events... About 30 secs of a theme then hit the bar for the rest of the night. Great :rolleyes:

And other thing, why do all events start at 11pm? What a waste of a night if it finishes by 2.30 / 3. Bring on Ibiza 24 hours :)

Am I expecting too much?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

ironclaw wrote: »
    And other thing, why do all events start at 11pm? What a waste of a night if it finishes by 2.30 / 3. Bring on Ibiza 24 hours :)

That's just licensing laws here, and no one really goes out before 10 30/11?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Crazy people going out at around 11. That's when it's cold and dark!

You'll catch Spanish Flu!

Bus is always filled with arseholes too but it's mostly the horrible cold and the forgotten flu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭CoachBoone

Id imagine they are catering to the masses.

No point in running expensive entertainment at an event if they great unwashed couldnt give a fiddlers and just want to hit the bar.

I do agree with you by the way but it seems like simple business sense.

I also know your going to say "but surely they dont need to be run for profit", well they probably arent on the whole, but renting of clubs, venues, dj's, printing tickets all cost money, and spending money on entertainment over those neccessities wouldnt be the wisest.

The other bit is licensing laws and crowd mentalty all mashed up. No one goes out til eleven because no one goes out til eleven.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Agree with you CoachBoone. And the profit thing, definetely. I amn't for a minute suggesting that they run to just break even or at a loss. That wouldn't make sense.

I'd like to challenge the 11pm thing aswell. In the winter, its cold and dark by 8pm. So what difference does four hours make? Say 8pm to 12pm / 11pm to 2.30 / 3am? Wht stay out half the night when the exact same party could take place 4 hours earlier? Do people still get the childish kicks of stumbling in after midnight? Because I can't put my finger on it :confused: And I don't want to sound like the Fun Police either! :pac: I've been at 24 hour gigs etc and they are fantastic but frankly half a day missing due to sleeping in for a crap Irish gig the night before, why bother?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

ironclaw wrote: »
    Agree with you CoachBoone. And the profit thing, definetely. I amn't for a minute suggesting that they run to just break even or at a loss. That wouldn't make sense.

I'd like to challenge the 11pm thing aswell. In the winter, its cold and dark by 8pm. So what difference does four hours make?

Well, first off I would imagine you would get clubs that would may not accommodate an 8PM start . . . and even if they did it would be more expensive for the amount of people that would show up at that time (I really think not that many people would show up at 8PM).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭muffinman

Well, first off I would imagine you would get clubs that would may not accommodate an 8PM start . . . and even if they did it would be more expensive for the amount of people that would show up at that time (I really think not that many people would show up at 8PM).

and you've got the people in college til close to that time who may have a half hour drive home and then have to get changed and come back in... and people with training and other things.. would be very impractical to start at 8

muffinman wrote: »
    and you've got the people in college til close to that time who may have a half hour drive home and then have to get changed and come back in... and people with training and other things.. would be very impractical to start at 8

A very valid point but I still don't see why its 11 / 11.30 before people start to show up. Its actually more expensive for clubs to remain open at this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭The Agogo

It's just the way society has it (in terms of clubs anyway). I personally prefer just going out at 8 and coming home at 12. No point wasting the night and the following morning.

Plus, taxis are cheaper (if you even have to get one, because bus services would still be running), drinks are cheaper, there are no entrance fees, no crowds spilling your pint, better music, no people puking on seats, room on the dancefloor.. Holy Crap! We've stumbled on one of life's greatest secrets!

The Agogo wrote: »
    It's just the way society has it (in terms of clubs anyway). I personally prefer just going out at 8 and coming home at 12. No point wasting the night and the following morning.

Plus, taxis are cheaper (if you even have to get one, because bus services would still be running), drinks are cheaper, there are no entrance fees, no crowds spilling your pint, better music, no people puking on seats, room on the dancefloor.. Holy Crap! We've stumbled on one of life's greatest secrets!

I'm actually glad someone else has the same viewpoint. I thought I was alone on this one... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

I'm more of a fan of going out at 1 am and staying out til 5 or 6, though obviously you can't really do that in Ireland.

Most nightclubs in Ireland are pretty much just the same as eachother; the same crap Top 50 music, the same prices and with a few exceptions, the same people. The only places with decent music are labelled "alternative" and hindered by our ****ty licensing laws.

• Advertisement
Advertisement