Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athy. Biggest kip in Kildare???

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭AndrewMc

Rothmans wrote: »
    The area out by the Dublin road is v nice. The Golf Club is out that end of town ( and pretty much all the other sports club) if you're interested in sports. Never really thought about it till now but they are actually the best parts of Athy. Athough them two estates out the Kilkenny road don't look too bad-Branswood and Coneyborough I think are the names of them but I could be open to correction

Coneyboro is out the Carlow Road (http://osm.org/go/es8RzI1F), it's probably Corrán Árd you're thinking of (http://osm.org/go/es8RbFuB).

• Registered Users Posts: 43 load1234

Watch out for flood areas.

Theres not many schools that got burned down in the past. On the main newspapers too. The kid was nearly killed and was in hospital.

The church also got attack with fire,

Smashed cars.

Trying to skate board on roofs, smashing bottles, kick doors at
    night time, on the plus side no robberies in anti social areas this is
    a plus.

Athy is too hard, tone it down a bit maybe because a lack of young women in the town.

Anti social behaviour is happening everywhere. If you are not attacked you will probability not notice the violence all around you bacause 99 % is at night time. More garda would help.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

load1234 wrote: »
    Watch out for flood areas.

There are flood areas in any town with a river like the Barrow.
    Theres not many schools that got burned down in the past. On the main newspapers too. The kid was nearly killed and was in hospital.

What do you mean by the above?
    The church also got attack with fire,.

Which church? St Michael's church beside the hotel, the Dominican church, the church of Ireland, the Presbyterian church, the Methodist church or the Jehovah's Witnesses Kingdom Hall?
    Smashed cars.

Happens in every town.
    Trying to skate board on roofs, smashing bottles, kick doors at night time, on the plus side no robberies in anti social areas this isa plus.

I might be tempted to skateboard down this roof :Dhttp://homepage.eircom.net/~aontasogra/dominican.jpg
    Athy is too hard, tone it down a bit maybe because a lack of young women in the town.

Anti social behaviour is happening everywhere. If you are not attacked you will probability not notice the violence all around you bacause 99 % is at night time. More garda would help.

You could be talking about any town in rural Ireland here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

Moved to Athy for work. Only job I could get. After 8 months moved out of the town. Its nearly impossible to get decent shared accomadation. It is all ridiculously overpriced for dumps (dingy double rooms all looking for €300+). I gave athy a chance, got involved in local community and all that crack, Many people in Athy are not very welcoming to outsiders in my experience. Moved out of town recently and commuting an hour and 10 mins. I am from another rural town and I have to say that Athy is way worse than other towns. Its an absolute dive. If you are working in Athy there are loads of decent places to live nearby, newbridge, carlow, kilkenny, portlaoise. You will go cracked in Athy during the weeks.

But all said there are still good people in Athy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

In my experience Athy is dangerous, unwelcoming and an intimidating place to be. Maybe I'm just unlucky but in the 4 or 5 times I've been in the town, I have seen fights, been threathened, and seen my cousin subjected to racism.

I drive through the place because I have to but I never stop there anymore. We wont even go to supermacs for a takeaway on the way through after 2 seperate incidences there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭rameire

i live in athy
    moved here from dublin 4 years ago
    live in coneyboro
    i have never had a single problem in athy
    i have been out in the town,
    im not a recluse
    never had an egg thrown at me
    never been set on fire
    nor has my house or car or dog
    i have heard of burgularies, who hasnt
    i have left my keys in my front door only to find them still there after a full 10 hours, i mean how terrible is that.
    i have eaten out in the town, there are a copule of places i like to eat
    everyone i have met have been friendly
    never had anyone say boo to me
    never had people skate boarding on my roof, sounds a bit silly to me
    but everyone has different experiences
    thankfully mine is rose tinted.

as for athy it has always been a cross roads.
    people travelling the country have at one stage passed through
    hence the mix in nationality, religion race and creed living and working in athy.
    it can look run down, but the place is improving.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

Also, To the guy who is moving here. If the job is either side of the town, you'd be best off to live that side. Traffic is an absolute nightmare getting through the town.
    All the busy roads meet in a crossroads so its bananas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

kildare town.

No question. Biggest kip in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 load1234

It was St Michael's church and Ballylinan thousand of euros in damage.

Lots of cars smashed in Newbridge.

Most of it is at night so you can miss it while you sleep.

You may not be hit yet put the problem is growing.

Would CCTV work some people are trying this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

It was St Michael's church and Ballylinan thousand of euros in damage.

Lots of cars smashed in Newbridge.

Most of it is at night so you can miss it while you sleep.

You may not be hit yet put the problem is growing.

Would CCTV work some people are trying this ?

Your post is unclear, load1234. If you could just write one complete sentence we might be able to understand you. Failing that, could you answer some of my questions below:

What happened to St Michael's church?
    Where was the St Michael's church in question?

What happened in Ballylinan?
    What has that got to do with Newbridge which is 12 miles away from Ballylinan?

Ballylinan is about 3 miles away from Athy. Are we talking about Athy here at all or just the towns and villages in Co. Kildare?

Unfortunately crime is on the increase all over Ireland, in every county, every town and every village, not just Athy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭muppet_man

kildare town.

Having lived in Athy for 1 year and Kildare town for 5 years, I can honestly say Athy is by far the worst.
    Never had to boil water in Kildare before being able to use it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

muppet_man wrote: »
    Having lived in Athy for 1 year and Kildare town for 5 years, I can honestly say Athy is by far the worst.
    Never had to boil water in Kildare before being able to use it

Well,in my 19 years, I've never had to boil water in Athy :confused:

Well,in my 19 years, I've never had to boil water in Athy :confused:

Well, it was about 2 years ago when the river overflowed into pumping station

http://kildarepost.com/2008/01/25/athy-water-fiasco-highlighted/ :P

Well, it was about 2 years ago when the river overflowed into pumping station

http://kildarepost.com/2008/01/25/athy-water-fiasco-highlighted/ :P

Ah yeah sure most towns in the country were effected by flooding. This was just a one-off thing caused by an Act of God. From the way you wrote the post, you gave the impression that the water was contaminated with lead or some other poison like waht happened in Galway, and that it was a permanent problem.

No mearly stating a fact of my experiences

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

There was a machine brought in to measure the worst town in Ireland, they attached Athy to the machine & it broke it the machine.

Honestly I live about 8 miles from Athy but never went out in the place because of what I was told.
    Planning wise it has suffered from a narrow poorly maintained main street, traffic flow problems, over proliferation of council estates & an under utilised river amenity.

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    There was a machine brought in to measure the worst town in Ireland, they attached Athy to the machine & it broke it the machine.

Excellant lol!!! :D:D

. . . . because of what I was told. . . . .

:rolleyes:

No mearly stating a fact of my experiences

Then you shoukd have stated all the facts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

why dont they by pass that town. I dread traveling to the place. traffic is the worst ever.

And im not talking about the footpath with Pajama clad smoking girls pushing prams.:p

• Advertisement

gsxr1 wrote: »

And im not talking about the footpath with Pajama clad smoking girls pushing prams.:p

lol too true

....because of what I was told....

And you were told right
    Then you shoukd have stated all the facts

If you look at my OP I belive I did.
    FACT: I did live in Athy for 1 year.
    FACT: While there I did have to boil water before I used it

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭drakshug

I moved to Athy in 07 and like it. Yeah there are incidents sometimes but no more than other places. The people are friendly. It is actually very nice.
    Been in worse places.
    Load is a bit hard to understand. He seems to quote hearsay. By all accounts the fire in the Model school was due to the electrics. The church arson attacks have been occurring in a lot of counties. It isn't an Athy thing. I wonder what part of town Load lives in. Me? Rheban manor. Just down from the Model school.

drakshug wrote: »
    I moved to Athy in 07 and like it. Yeah there are incidents sometimes but no more than other places. The people are friendly. It is actually very nice.
    Been in worse places.

True. people are usually very friendly . Almost always working class.
    Athy is not as bad as it made out.

I was brought up in the Bogside in Derry with snippers shooting Brits out of our windows in the flats.
    Now that was a kip. Makes modern day Athy seem like a play school.

And you were told right

If you look at my OP I belive I did.
    FACT: I did live in Athy for 1 year.
    FACT: While there I did have to boil water before I used it

Yes, but you didn't state all the relevant facts ( i.e that it was solely due to a flood). That is, you were only giving the facts that made Athy look bad, and no redeeming facts whatsoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭carefulnow100

Iv lived just outside Athy all my live and even though alot of my family live there I can honestly say that I hate the place. the only time i go into Athy is when im Passing threw being honest. I hate everything about the town. The traffic. The anti-social behaviour and proplem regarding drugs and everything else thats been listed on here.

But!!!

I know for a fact that in the past few years there has been alot of work done regarding the shops and local businesses and bringing money back into the town. As another poster said the library is fantasic and the range of shops for a fairly small sized town is pretty good. I Know alot of people form the town and i have to say there are few other towns that you could walk into a shop and stay talking for half an hour to a person who genuinly wants to know how your doing! There is no real reason why I dont like the town its just personal really and I dont think il ever like it, but as they say alot of people dont like where the (nearly) come form!

you were only giving the facts that made Athy look bad, and no redeeming facts whatsoever.

There are no redeeming facts....It's a kip!
    Reading posts from people in & around Athy even they think its a kip.

There are no redeeming facts....It's a kip!

Well then you clearly haven't really been listening to the opinions of the majority of posters

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Athy appears to be trapped in the 1980s. on the positive side you can actually swim in the river without picking up some disease.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement