Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athy. Biggest kip in Kildare???

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭blackbird98

never heard of it. Is that one of the newer estates?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Led Zeppelin The Clash

Kildare Town is much ... much worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭ThePower11

Kildare Town is much ... much worse.
    How did you come up with this gem?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

its those appartments at the back of noonans, that look across the river towards shaws car park

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Paxton Boy

yes..theyre the ones homerhop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭sovereign121

Just came across this thread and it made me smile. Calling Athy the biggest kip in Kildare is a serious understatement. I have lived here for a few years now and believe me Dante had a more pleasurable experience in the 9th ring of hell than I have had here. The town is an absolute ****hole and believe me I have seen some kips in my life. It has absolutely nothing going for it, the locals are all dole scrounging single mammies and the only people who seem to contribute anything economically towards the place are the Dubs who like myself are now stuck living here. I would say it is a dump but that would be unfair as dumps generally serve a purpose. Since I've lived here there has been 2 murders, not even gang related just plain straight killings, I came from a town with at least 3 times the population and I never used to hear of anything like that. I actually drive through the place with my car doors locked. The town itself is a horrible, gloomy grey kip that would visually hurt your eyes. It has never had an ounce of investment and looks like it is stuck in the 1960's. The town is a battleground on weekend nights and while you may say where isn't? This takes it to a whole new level. And don't even get me started on the amount of knackers in the kip.......... And while you all may say just leave if you hate it, well I fully intend to. A few bombs would sort the place out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

Just came across this thread and it made me smile. Calling Athy the biggest kip in Kildare is a serious understatement. I have lived here for a few years now and believe me Dante had a more pleasurable experience in the 9th ring of hell than I have had here. The town is an absolute ****hole and believe me I have seen some kips in my life. It has absolutely nothing going for it, the locals are all dole scrounging single mammies and the only people who seem to contribute anything economically towards the place are the Dubs who like myself are now stuck living here. I would say it is a dump but that would be unfair as dumps generally serve a purpose. Since I've lived here there has been 2 murders, not even gang related just plain straight killings, I came from a town with at least 3 times the population and I never used to hear of anything like that. I actually drive through the place with my car doors locked. The town itself is a horrible, gloomy grey kip that would visually hurt your eyes. It has never had an ounce of investment and looks like it is stuck in the 1960's. The town is a battleground on weekend nights and while you may say where isn't? This takes it to a whole new level. And don't even get me started on the amount of knackers in the kip.......... And while you all may say just leave if you hate it, well I fully intend to. A few bombs would sort the place out.

:rolleyes:
    You might do well to move back to Dublin so. You seem a bit too precious to be living anywhere outside your comfort zone.

I ain't from Dublin

I ain't from Dublin
    the only people who seem to contribute anything economically towards the place are the Dubs who like myself are now stuck living here

You certainly implied that you were, and that you are not comfortable in a country town.
    Many of the Dubs have a bad name among the locals, doesn't mean they deserve it, or that they're all bad. That'd be painting a whole group of people with the one brush, and wouldn't really be fair given that the vast majority of them are decent hardworking people. Do you see what I'm getting at; how it's stupid to call an entire town dole scroungers and single mothers.

No, sorry, it's true it's full of dole scrounging single mothers, simple as that, the decent hard working people in this kip are not originally from here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

the only people who seem to contribute anything economically towards the place are the Dubs who like myself are now stuck living here.
    Rothmans wrote: »
    You certainly implied that you were

No he didn't he made reference to "the dubs" and then himself.

Mr.Fred wrote: »
    No he didn't he made reference to "the dubs" and then himself.

Yes he did. He/She said the only people who contribute anything are the Dubs, and then said ''who like myself are now stuck living here''. If the only people who contribute anything to the town are the Dubs, then he is, by implication a Dub. Unless of course he is a 'dole scrounger', but this is not what he implied. According to him, anyone who is not a Dub is a dole scrounger.

No, sorry, it's true it's full of dole scrounging single mothers, simple as that, the decent hard working people in this kip are not originally from here.

That's a truly idiotic statement. It goes against the actual fact, and common sense. You have such a jaded perception of reality, it would probably do you enormous good to get out of the town.

Yes he did. He/She said the only people who contribute anything are the Dubs, and then said ''who like myself are now stuck living here''. If the only people who contribute anything to the town are the Dubs, then he is, by implication a Dub. Unless of course he is a 'dole scrounger', but this is not what he implied. According to him, anyone who is not a Dub is a dole scrounger.

Perhaps you might read the posts again slowly "the Dubs who like myself" in meaning he is stuck in the same situation as the Dubs. He may well be from feckin Mars but he doesn't make reference to where he's from.

Some folks just can't be told. :rolleyes:

it would probably do you enormous good to get out of the town.
    Yes it would and yes I will, with pleasure!

Perhaps you might read the posts again slowly "the Dubs who like myself" in meaning he is stuck in the same situation as the Dubs. He may well be from feckin Mars but he doesn't make reference to where he's from.

Finally, somebody with a bit of cop on

Yes, he doesn't make explicit reference to where he is from. That's not the point we are arguing. He makes implicit reference to where he is from. Do you understand the difference? Read my explanation above, and it might become more clear to you :).
    The only other alternative is that he is not from Dublin, and therefore, by his own logic, is a scrounger who contributes nothing to the town.

This is completely off topic aswell btw. The original point being made was that his assertion that everybody from Athy is a scrounging tosser, which is complete bullsh!t.

Yes it would and yes I will, with pleasure!

At least we can agree on something.

The original point being made was that his assertion that everybody from Athy is a scrounging tosser, which is complete bullsh!t.
    Oh fine if it'll make you happy I'll retract the part about everybody being a scrounger and replace it with the majority of people from Athy are scroungers. If you have a problem with that statement then to be honest I really couldn't give 2 f uc ks. And if, as I suspect, you have links to the town, then you got alot to be proud of :rolleyes:

Yes, he doesn't make explicit reference to where he is from. That's not the point we are arguing. He makes implicit reference to where he is from. Do you understand the difference? Read my explanation above, and it might become more clear to you :)

Clearly your ability to read a comment is some what hindered by you grasp of the English language.

He didn't imply any area he was from what he implied was that both he and the Dubs shared a commonality in that he contributes to the town as do the Dubs.

I'm not quite sure how I could further dull this down for you. I'm guessing you don't like to be told you're wrong and that you accept it with further disdain.

Yes this is off topic but if you yourself are from Athy it certainly is showing an attitude that is all to prevalent in the town. It may be hard for locals to accept but the large influx of outsiders brought a source of economy to the town. The fact that the town council apportioned this poorly is one of the reasons the town has shown little sign of progression.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

It probably looks like it's full of single mammies etc. because you notice them. They stand out. You don't notice the 'normal' people, so to speak. You would probably pass by 8 or 9 'normal' before you pass one of the people you're talking about.

I agree it's a kip though. Living here 15 years and would leave if I ever had the chance, financially. Locking your doors as you drive is a bit over the top though. I don't think I've heard of anyone being robbed while they were driving along.

Clearly your ability to read a comment is some what hindered by you grasp of the English language.

He didn't imply any area he was from what he implied was that both he and the Dubs shared a commonality in that he contributes to the town as do the Dubs.

I'm not quite sure how I could further dull this down for you. I'm guessing you don't like to be told you're wrong and that you accept it with further disdain.

So you don't understand the difference, but that's ok. Either that, or you're being wilfully ignorant. Either way, I'm not bothered continuing this frivolous off-topic conversation with you.
    Yes this is off topic but if you yourself are from Athy it certainly is showing an attitude that is all to prevalent in the town. It may be hard for locals to accept but the large influx of outsiders brought a source of economy to the town. The fact that the town council apportioned this poorly is one of the reasons the town has shown little sign of progression.

What attitude is that? Defending people when they've essentially been called a bunch of dole scrounging louts by a complete stranger just because of the town they come from? Such an attitude may be prevalent with regard to strangers tarring people with the one brush, i.e. saying that they are all dole scroungers. What type of reaction would you expect?
    With regard to outsiders making a contribution to the town; nobody said they don't. Rather, the problem lies with assertion that locals make absolutely no contribution to the town, which is ridiculuous

EDIT: Ye should have a read through the thread and see how opinions like yours have been consistently torn apart. Furthermore, much of the praise has come from people who have moved down from Dublin.

What attitude is that? Defending people when they've essentially been called a bunch of dole scrounging louts by a complete stranger just because of the town they come from? Such an attitude may be prevalent with regard to strangers tarring people with the one brush, i.e. saying that they are all dole scroungers. What type of reaction would you expect?
    Listen young man, I know you don't like your town being slated but I make no apologies for it. The town has a cancer and that cancer is the locals. I have witnessed it with my own eyes. I have lived in many different places and nowhere comes as close to this this place when I say it is bad.
    It is common place on the streets every day. The queues are out the door of the postoffice with people trying to get their freebees from my tax's. I have read this thread and I live in one of those "nice estates" you made reference to before and believe me the scourge is everywhere in this kip. Only recently I witnessed a huge drug deal outside my house from a scrounger who is being given a free gaff only doors away from me.
    Any person who ever asked me where I was living since I moved hear has recoiled when they heard the name Athy and the thing they usually say to me is "Oh I heard thats an awful rough place" It has a terrible reputation nationwide and it is so deserved. Only this evening I went to a local chipper and all I could see as I was driving through the empty streets were pockets of scumbags. Jesus the barrow bridge has a resident alcoholic sitting on it every bloody day for crying outloud. The town has no amentities to speak of, no decent parks, the one across from the train station is littered with used condoms and broken needles, there's no shopping centre, cinema or other modern convenience's and the locals are to blame for that because the local business's in this town have blocked all that down through the years. Believe me when I say that I am firmly grounded in reality, you on the otherhand just like to block it out or turn a blind eye and try to defend the undefendable. Of course I know this town has nice decent hard working people, but lets be honest, it has far more scum and dole heads per head of population than any other town. Jesus the girls in this town are reared to pop out a sprog in their teens so they will get a free house and sit on their fat asses and move their waster partners in with them. They must have a course on it in school or something. Your town is a hole. END OF!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not bothered continuing this frivolous off-topic conversation with you.

You aren't bothered because you are in the wrong. It will happen from time to time so try and accept it with a bit of dignity instead of throwing eloquent insults about.

You take care that chip on your shoulder doesn't drag you down now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

Listen young man, I know you don't like your town being slated but I make no apologies for it. The town has a cancer and that cancer is the locals. I have witnessed it with my own eyes. I have lived in many different places and nowhere comes as close to this this place when I say it is bad.
    It is common place on the streets every day. The queues are out the door of the postoffice with people trying to get their freebees from my tax's. I have read this thread and I live in one of those "nice estates" you made reference to before and believe me the scourge is everywhere in this kip. Only recently I witnessed a huge drug deal outside my house from a scrounger who is being given a free gaff only doors away from me.
    Any person who ever asked me where I was living since I moved hear has recoiled when they heard the name Athy and the thing they usually say to me is "Oh I heard thats an awful rough place" It has a terrible reputation nationwide and it is so deserved. Only this evening I went to a local chipper and all I could see as I was driving through the empty streets were pockets of scumbags. Jesus the barrow bridge has a resident alcoholic sitting on it every bloody day for crying outloud. The town has no amentities to speak of, no decent parks, the one across from the train station is littered with used condoms and broken needles, there's no shopping centre, cinema or other modern convenience's and the locals are to blame for that because the local business's in this town have blocked all that down through the years. Believe me when I say that I am firmly grounded in reality, you on the otherhand just like to block it out or turn a blind eye and try to defend the undefendable. Of course I know this town has nice decent hard working people, but lets be honest, it has far more scum and dole heads per head of population than any other town. Jesus the girls in this town are reared to pop out a sprog in their teens so they will get a free house and sit on their fat asses and move their waster partners in with them. They must have a course on it in school or something. Your town is a hole. END OF!!!!!!!!!!

Oh dear :eek:

I can see your point of view and also that of locals. I grew up in the Athy area and returned to live locally in the last year after studying and working in Dublin for the guts of 20 years.

There are and always have been hardworking people in Athy. According to older family members Athy was once a boomtown and people came from all around to shop there. That was in the 1960s but Athy has been left behind since then. Local businesses have done their best to survive but unfortunately it has been very difficult. A motor dealership closed recently among other businesses.

I admit that Athy has its fair share of unemployed and single mothers. They are more likely to hang around the streets than those who are trying to keep businesses going in Athy and those who work outside the town. I work in Dublin and there are single mothers, alcoholics and drug addicts around my workplace but that doesn't mean that everyone in Dublin is like that. Unfortunately due to the recession there are more unemployed people everywhere and rural Ireland has been hit particularly hard.

There is only one street going through Athy which makes traffic very congested. It is a shame that another road with a bridge over the river wasn't built during the Celtic Tiger. On one hand it might have left the town more abandoned, but if it had been properly designed it could have brought business to the town.

Have you been in Athy for the Tri-Athy or the Shackleton festival?

As a local and with the height of respect for other locals I want to make the following point. Until I moved back I would always vehemently defend Athy if anyone criticised it for being rough or for other reasons. Now I have returned I can see the other side of the argument. One point that was made is that Athy people are not friendly. They are not welcoming to newcomers. I thought that Dublin people or other newcomers who came to Athy didn't mix locally but now I realise the locals don't always make it easy. Perhaps that is the case in all country towns who get an influx of newcomers.

One reason might be that some newcomers commute to work daily. I commute on the train. The friendliest people on the platform are not locals but newcomers. Those who say "good morning" are more likely to have a Dublin accent than a local accent. Having said that, most of the people I grew up with have gone away and I am almost seen as a Dub or a blow-in myself now! So I can understand why newcomers say that Athy people (or those who live in the surrounding area) aren't as friendly as people in some other areas. Even people from outside the town who marry Athy people find this. The lack of friendliness has not done the town any favours.

Some local businesses are very friendly and do everything possible for customers, but others take advantage of the fact that there is nothing comparable for miles around. I won't name any businesses but I got fed up of being ripped off. I mentioned to the owners that they were charging 20% or more extra for items I could get cheaper elsewhere and they didn't take this well. So I went elsewhere. Local businesses close early (sometimes well before 6) and it's often easier for commuters to get items elsewhere and bring them home on the train particularly if those items are more expensive in Athy. The main commuter train from Dublin arrives in Athy at 6.30ish.

Another point is that Athy is an agricultural town. This means that a lot of Athy people live in the surrounding area as opposed to in the actual town itself. This wouldn't help the situation in the town. For example drink-driving laws have adversely affected the town. Local farmers might have driven into town for a drink or two, also some the locals who live a little outside the town. Now people tend to buy their drink in off-licences and drink at home. Result - pubs closing down and increased rural isolation.

Athy is very much off the beaten track. It isn't near the motorway and got left behind over the years. Apart from some construction, the Celtic Tiger bypassed Athy. There was a cinema when I was a child but it closed down and Lidl occupies the site now. I don't know why Dunnes Stores, Tesco or Penneys never came to Athy, they might have encouraged more people to shop there. Indeed, if any of these stores had come to the town in the 1970s or 1980s Athy might have been more attractive to developers who were designing road networks and the town might not be as cut off as it is today. I heard that some local businesses didn't want chain stores coming to Athy. I don't know if this rumour is true, but if it is they are partly responsible for the demise of Athy and cannot complain about the town being bypassed and the resulting lack of business in the town.

Well written Emme.

I've taken part in Tri Athy myself and while the event itself is well organised. I have to admit as soon as I was changed and fed (free meal afterwards) I hit the road as there's nothing in Athy that would make me want to stay there.

It's unfortunate for the people in the town that during the celtic tiger the town council didn't invest their money wisely. I can't see there being any investment that would make a discernible difference in the near future especially with larger and more attractive towns surrounding it. (Newbridge,Carlow,Kildare etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 43 load1234

Children throwing eggs very difficult to remove, Horses loose and blocking traffic,walking horses down main street, smashed windows, writing on buildings, only 2 night police, banks stealing money, Rubbish everywhere difficult to keep clean, 50 % of Athy is now foreign, they do not want to speak English, one good point property tax is lowest. Another good point Athy is cheaper than other towns, 2 motor ways each side of Athy. The problem is government sell but do nothing and people do not talk to each other its anti-social. Newbridge burned cars and burned appartment blocks, I think it is not just Athy but Kildare is hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭blackbird98

Listen young man,..... Your town is a hole. END OF!!!!!!!!!!

I didn't bother to quote the whole statement, but I have to say, this is the greatest load of bo*****s that I have ever read about any town. To generalise like that is utter crap. Did you ever stop to think that maybe it's you that is the problem?? Towns like Athy, or anywhere else for that matter, are better off without people with this attitude.

Nah, your town is a dive pal, simple as that, even yesterday your post office had another lovely incident, bet the whole town was crapping it that their dole would be robbed :) have a nice day.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

There is nothing good left to come of this thread.

I'm leaving the last post above on view, simply because it shows the true colour of the posters arguements against the town: cheap, trolly insults. Judge for yourselves, folks, judge for yourselves.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement