Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cost of running a pc

• 23-10-2009 6:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

Ok so let's say You left your computer on all day for the whole week with about 20% capacity running in the background (ie not sleep/standby but a few odd processes running) How much on average would it cost? I've found a few websites that will calculate it for you but they seem to be based in america and don't seem to be quite right (quoting me about 20 cent per week for the max settings on 24 7.

We're talking Basic average or closest you can come to. I've never really paid attention to how much power my pc sucks up. Leaning towards moving out of the house and need to make sure it's not going to eat a giant whole in my pocket if i leave it on.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

I really don't like seeing so many PCs left running constantly. It makes little sense. Even at the university I'm in, some people just lock their windows account and then leave for the day. I'd love to say something but I'm new and don't want to appear like a snobby Irishman (I'm in the UK).

It begs the question: How much money is wasted in thid way?

Kevin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,943 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Not much really. Saves on heating ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭swirlser

Overheal wrote: »
    Not much really. Saves on heating ;)

lol! Indeed it does, have a number of machines & displays running at any given time and they are essentially radiators.

To the OP, I never turn anything off, but I do have everything set to go to sleep after 30mins of no use. While a 'normal' desktop at a practically idle state wouldnt use that much power, unless you actually require the machine to perform tasks overnight, I dont see why you cant just have it set to sleep when ur not using it :s

Advertisement