Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IBS

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Bugnug

Hi!

Does anybody here suffer from IBS?
    I think I do but Im not sure and am currently working up the nerve to go to the doctor. I dont want to seem like im overreacting.
    Sorry if this is gross but I alternate between constipation and diarrhea and its really beginning to affect my personal life. I moved in with my boyfriend about two months and im constantly thinking about whether i need to go or not. I havent told him because i dont want him to think im disgusting but its really stressful hiding it.

Id love to hear from anyone who is going through this too.

Thanks

A lot of the time issues like this can be psychological as well as physical. If you talk to a good GP they should explore both areas and advise on a sensible route.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭pinkyc

hey guys, i'm sorry to hear all about ye'r ibs and i hope that ye are all keeping well lately. I'm not an IBS suffer (i have crohns disease, so in away i know what its like i guess) but my boyfriend is. He was only diagnosed in the past few months it was October i think, he was having the usual pains and staying on the loo problems, went to the doctor and boom it was IBS, he is an emotionaly strong guy and i love him, but lately its been getting him down, like really down. I'm not sure if theres much i can or could do for him but be there, but i was thinking maybe someone here may have tips i could tell him about or maybe definate foods to keep clear of.

I would really appreciate if ye would pass on anything ye can to me.
    thanks guys it means alot :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Hi pinkyc- just like to reiterate that the diet for IBS can be totally different than it is for Crohn's Disease- even if there can be commonalities (depending on how active your Crohn's is).

AVOID IN IBS

1. Even if the person with IBS is not lactose intolerant, dairy products (all of them) can be a trigger.
    2. Red Meat (not just beef- but also pork, mutton, goat, deer etc) all to be avoided.
    3. High fat foods to be avoided (use your intuition- but its a long and meandering list)
    4. Alcohol is a definite trigger
    5. Caffeine is a GI stimulant and should be avoided
    6. Products sweetened with artificial sweeteners, particularly sorbitol, are big trouble.

AIM FOR IN IBS

1. Soluble fibre supplements- your pharmacy will have a selection
    2. Food should be eaten slowly and chewed thoroughly
    3. Eat small portions frequently
    4. Check the temperature of your food- and avoid icecream and icecold things- particularly on a empty stomach
    5. Drink water on an ongoing basis during the day- but not at meal times.
    6. Peel and then cook the living hell out of potatoes, veg, fruit etc- and mash them as fine as possible before serving.
    7. Foods that have high soluble fibre content and help relieve IBS symptoms- tend to be the starches (kill two birds with the one stone!) E.g. Pasta, Rice, Porridge, Barley soups, White breads (such as baguette- not el crappo sliced loaf) etc.
    8. There are few magic tricks- such as bananas- higher in fibre than some alternates, very good energy food, and the potassium tends to slow your digestive tract.

Akin to Crohn's, Colitis- and many other illnesses- IBS can be stress related, and actively going out of your way to avoid confrontation or high stress situations, can pay vast dividends.

Your boyfriend really needs to talk to a good dietician- they will be able to give many and varied suggestions to him. In the interim- don't try to compare your Crohn's to his IBS- they are two totally seperate things- and he won't understand the differences anyhow. Do a little research on things that may help him (such as soluble fibre)- but make sure that he takes the next step himself and goes to a dietician. Some little changes can make the world of a difference in his case- often though the small steps- like cutting down or avoiding alcohol or coffee- can seem like insurmountable changes to people who have never had to change their habits before in their lives. You may not understand why he has these troubles- as you doubtlessly modify your diet depending on how your Crohn's is- it may seem to be a seismic step for him.

There are lots of resources out there of help to IBS sufferers- have a look and print him off some stuff- but don't over do it. A simple appointment with a dietician may be a revelation for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭pinkyc

thank you for your great advice smccarick, it means alot, i'll be sure to pass it on. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭kangaroo

smccarrick wrote: »
    Hi pinkyc- just like to reiterate that the diet for IBS can be totally different than it is for Crohn's Disease- even if there can be commonalities (depending on how active your Crohn's is).

AVOID IN IBS

1. Even if the person with IBS is not lactose intolerant, dairy products (all of them) can be a trigger.
    2. Red Meat (not just beef- but also pork, mutton, goat, deer etc) all to be avoided.
    3. High fat foods to be avoided (use your intuition- but its a long and meandering list)
    4. Alcohol is a definite trigger
    5. Caffeine is a GI stimulant and should be avoided
    6. Products sweetened with artificial sweeteners, particularly sorbitol, are big trouble.

AIM FOR IN IBS

1. Soluble fibre supplements- your pharmacy will have a selection
    2. Food should be eaten slowly and chewed thoroughly
    3. Eat small portions frequently
    4. Check the temperature of your food- and avoid icecream and icecold things- particularly on a empty stomach
    5. Drink water on an ongoing basis during the day- but not at meal times.
    6. Peel and then cook the living hell out of potatoes, veg, fruit etc- and mash them as fine as possible before serving.
    7. Foods that have high soluble fibre content and help relieve IBS symptoms- tend to be the starches (kill two birds with the one stone!) E.g. Pasta, Rice, Porridge, Barley soups, White breads (such as baguette- not el crappo sliced loaf) etc.
    8. There are few magic tricks- such as bananas- higher in fibre than some alternates, very good energy food, and the potassium tends to slow your digestive tract.

Akin to Crohn's, Colitis- and many other illnesses- IBS can be stress related, and actively going out of your way to avoid confrontation or high stress situations, can pay vast dividends.

Your boyfriend really needs to talk to a good dietician- they will be able to give many and varied suggestions to him. In the interim- don't try to compare your Crohn's to his IBS- they are two totally seperate things- and he won't understand the differences anyhow. Do a little research on things that may help him (such as soluble fibre)- but make sure that he takes the next step himself and goes to a dietician. Some little changes can make the world of a difference in his case- often though the small steps- like cutting down or avoiding alcohol or coffee- can seem like insurmountable changes to people who have never had to change their habits before in their lives. You may not understand why he has these troubles- as you doubtlessly modify your diet depending on how your Crohn's is- it may seem to be a seismic step for him.

There are lots of resources out there of help to IBS sufferers- have a look and print him off some stuff- but don't over do it. A simple appointment with a dietician may be a revelation for him.

Although I have IBS as part of my ME, I'm not really an expert on the IBS part - looks like a reasonable list but I wonder about the need to add extra fibre such as fibre supplements if it's IBS-D.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

pinkyc wrote: »
    thank you for your great advice smccarick, it means alot, i'll be sure to pass it on. :)

I swear by the fibre supplements. I use fibre powder in juice. It makes a huge difference, especially if I've been bad recently and am suffering for it. The fibre help loads.

I use one called metamucil and another called bowel biotics- not sure if that is what it is called in Ireland. I get them from health food shops. Ones with psyllium husks are supposed to be extra good.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭BrianD3

A friend of mine was told he had IBS. I showed him some good exercises to strengthen the abdominal, ass and lower back muscles. Apparently this has made a big difference to his IBS.

I don't know what doctors have to say on exercise and IBS, if they do recommend exercise it is possibly going to be rubbish like high rep situps.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I was raised with a mother who always made me freak out over the stupidous pains. About six months ago I had a... bad stomach day, and after that I have been afraid of the simplest trips. When I'm neevous about having an ancident my stomach seem's to make me have to go. Resently I have been getting uncomfortable gas and cramps but I cant bring myself to go to the doctor. I am so afraid of turning into my mother. I have found an all natural ibs med. that seems great. I was wondering if i should try it first before going to the doc. What do you all think.

p.s. the all natural pills=Bavolex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

where do you get Bavolex?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Lyric 13 wrote: »
    p.s. the all natural pills=Bavolex.

Bavolex has a good reputation mostly in the States- but a few places have started to carry it here now. Its a little disingenuous calling it 'all natural'- it contains extracts of a load of dietary supplements- most of which most of us take as a matter of course- such as ginger, peppermint, carraway etc. The reason in my opinion that its quite a stretch to call it 'all natural' is the capsules are also packed with a veritable medley of artificially produced enzymes to help you digest your food- such as trypsin, bromelain, amylase, lipase (and others). Obviously some of these might be naturally produced (off the top of my head I know pineapple juice is loaded with bromelain for example).

They're not cheap- and they're not covered under any of the medical schemes, as they are classified as a dietary supplement, not medication. I most certainly would under no circumstances rely on a dietary supplement instead of going to the doctor- by all means let the doc know you're taking them- but dietary supplements should be used in conjunction with conventional medication- not instead of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭redbug

I too suffered from IBS for years, one minute I had a flat stomach the next minute I looked like I was 9 months pregnant!! I agree with previous posts, getting the emotional cause dealt with can help dramatically as well as dietary changes. What really helped me was the combination of Acupuncture which helped me with my anxiety and the physical issues and Naturopathy which helped with the dietary changes. If you want information on these treatments check out http://solacetcm.wordpress.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Just wondering, can anyone describe to me the location and type of pain associated in general with IBS? Also, can very, very bad period pains be linked to it?

Advertisement