Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas / Plum Pudding :)

Options
  • 23-10-2009 8:00pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hard work done, soak overnight and steam tomorrow for 8 hours. Game over. Cannot take shop bought pudding anymore, no matter what you say!!
    P1010055.jpgP1010056.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

Don't know much about making plum pudding - but the jar of Hellman's light mayonnaise looks a little "off" to me.

Well done on making your own though :) - I let my mam make mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

Would not use anything except real butter (it is supposed to be a treat after all) or the boose apart from Guiness and maybe the Rum Rum but it still looks nice.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

dh0661 wrote: »
    Don't know much about making plum pudding - but the jar of Hellman's light mayonnaise looks a little "off" to me.

Well done on making your own though :) - I let my mam make mine.

That's actually brilliant!

It's not Hellmans Mayonaisse (believe me) but some cinnamon powder in a Hellmans Jar.
    Don't think you'd use Mayonnaise or butter for that matter in as plum pudding. Might be wrong though. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

Mum and granny always used butter, do not even know what the other stuff is! I Guess we will have to agree to disagree. I asked my husband who is a wonderful cook and he said the same...we is thinking of making a Christmas putting for us though :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,050 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

CathyMoran wrote: »
    Mum and granny always used butter, do not even know what the other stuff is! I Guess we will have to agree to disagree. I asked my husband who is a wonderful cook and he said the same...we is thinking of making a Christmas putting for us though :D

would have thought that suet or lard would be traditional. That vegetable shortening would have more structure than butter.

8 oz. suet in my two 2lb. puddings. ;)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i done mine last weekend, 3 of them.

it was my first time, my grandmother used to make them for the family but she move on last christmas and the tradition got passed to me. i was using her mixing bowls, pudding bowls, spices and whiskey. it was very emotional making them but fingers crossed hopefully they will turn out okay.

that steaming business is a nightmare and i have to to repaint the ceiling now:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

Planet X wrote: »
    That's actually brilliant!

It's not Hellmans Mayonaisse (believe me) but some cinnamon powder in a Hellmans Jar.
    Don't think you'd use Mayonnaise or butter for that matter in as plum pudding. Might be wrong though. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

:confused: Today I asked my mam about her recipe for plum pudding - she said go ask your dad. I never realised that my dad makes the mixture and my mam cooks them, all that she knows is that he soaks the fruit in "holy water" (a locally made spirit type alcohol) :rolleyes:.

OK OK I can't spell potien poutien pootieen :(

Advertisement