Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

News and views on Greystones harbour and marina [SEE MODERATOR WARNING POST 1187]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

legrand wrote: »
    ^^^
    Sap and needles are the least of the problem.
    Last evening it was ankle deep in litter around the bins providing a feast for our avian friends who in turn spread the litter further afield. In typical Irish style no one could figure out that if a bin is full then the right think to do is take their litter home. But that will never happen in this country sadly.

who's responsible for emptying the bins - Wicklow CoCo or the marina management? Another question is why they haven't used the "BigBelly" compressor bins they have in Bray (there's even one outside Jokers).

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Honestly!

My understanding of the planning permission was that 30k to 60k tonnes of sand was to be trucked in annually for the beach. Why hasn't this started yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Honestly! wrote: »
    My understanding of the planning permission was that 30k to 60k tonnes of sand was to be trucked in annually for the beach. Why hasn't this started yet?

Well what about the boulders that are suppose to protect the cliffs from eroding? This will need to be done before we even worry about our tiny little beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Can't help but notice that this thread is getting quieter and quieter these days. ~^.^~

• Advertisement

red_bairn wrote: »
    Can't help but notice that this thread is getting quieter and quieter these days. ~^.^~

the harbour itself is more or less done - it is what it is, at least it's no longer a building site. They could do with sorting out the parking situation though.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭legrand

^^^ (parking)
    A far cry from what was envisaged/promoted

camera02a_email_2.jpg

^^^ (parking)

that photo is envisaging a serious rise in sea levels :eek:

the problem with parking is lack of enforcement - they have to allow access to the slip, and there is a big turning circle to allow large boats to manoeuvre, but people are parking (and camping) in that area.

Other than the fancy lights and the extra building on the south quay, and all the business people wandering around (why?), and the azure skies; that photo is not that far from the finished product.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

The building on the south slip is the proposed Coast Guard building - That's with the OPW to deal with and not Sisks. As I understand, this project is just gone through a tender process so I'd expect something to happen towards the end of year. Simon Harris had his opprotunity to get this done while being the minister over the OPW, except that ship has sailed. :pac:

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

^^^ (parking)

camera02a_email_2.jpg

And of course no sign of the boatyard that subsequently appeared on the south pier.... And no boats moored never mind sailing in the harbour..

• Advertisement

Zoo4m8 wrote: »
    And of course no sign of the boatyard that subsequently appeared on the south pier.... And no boats moored never mind sailing in the harbour..

Don't forget, in Greystones there are no dog owners, just professionals on their way to work via the harbour after considering not to have any off-spring.

astrofluff wrote: »
    Don't forget, in Greystones there are no dog owners, just professionals on their way to work via the harbour after considering not to have any off-spring.

I assume they're office workers out for a stroll during lunch from the many office blocks around the harbour.

The picture needs more cars. :)

Perhaps they're looking for their missing bemeers and mercs that were parked there earlier.

If the community is up for it then we could lobby for auto parking but will entail digging a rather large and expense hole in the ground. Really cool though

727b269e-a265-4d71-8919-97c3d8b398be_VAB2.jpg
    what it looks like under ground .. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvrDxDM64sA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

loyatemu wrote: »
    I assume they're office workers out for a stroll during lunch from the many office blocks around the harbour.
    Its the year 2045, and the harbour project is finally finished. These people are the hovercraft commuters, coming and going to Dublin city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

My eyesight is not that good!! :p:D

LEIN wrote: »
    My eyesight is not that good!! :p:D

OOPS sorry, this is a better one.

27523018250_8550d44f2b_c.jpgNew Parking arrangements at the Harbour by Pixbyjohn, on Flickr

Thanks John :)

€1/hr is very reasonable imo.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Is it? Compared to Dublin prices maybe, but how does it compare to Wicklow Town, Arklow etc.?

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Is it? Compared to Dublin prices maybe, but how does it compare to Wicklow Town, Arklow etc.?

I think €1/hr is standard enough right down to wexford.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I actually would've thought that the parking was under more pressure at weekends, but it's a long time since I was down there during the week.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

LEIN wrote: »
    I think €1/hr is standard enough right down to wexford.

I got a good deal in a Dublin City Council run car park at €0.60 per hour last week so.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I actually would've thought that the parking was under more pressure at weekends, but it's a long time since I was down there during the week.

Paid parking during the week isn't going to solve the madness at the weekend!! It's whether they penalise people for not parking in the actual bays no matter what time of day it is.

the knock on effect of pay-parking will be interesting as drivers seek elsewhere for free parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭jpd

Don't think there is much free parking anywhere in Greystones

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭drake70

Plenty of information here including a link to a map (dated 2009)

http://www.wicklow.ie/pay-parking-greystones

Would appear that Phase 1 of the development is nearing an end with a general (albeit temporary) cleanup of the grounds around the new houses. Tempted to go the official launch of these units and see how the agents deal with the the view question. Not sure about others here but if I were in the market I'm pretty certain I would pass on this opportunity knowing that in a year or two my view would consist of the gable end of an apartment block. And the whole layout is in north/south configuration meaning only a few units at the back along the track can expect direct sunlight and then only in the evenings.

On a separate note I see a planning notice from BJ Marine for office and restaurant. Not dated so unsure how long that's been there.

• Advertisement

Would appear that Phase 1 of the development is nearing an end with a general (albeit temporary) cleanup of the grounds around the new houses. Tempted to go the official launch of these units and see how the agents deal with the the view question. Not sure about others here but if I were in the market I'm pretty certain I would pass on this opportunity knowing that in a year or two my view would consist of the gable end of an apartment block. And the whole layout is in north/south configuration meaning only a few units at the back along the track can expect direct sunlight and then only in the evenings.

On a separate note I see a planning notice from BJ Marine for office and restaurant. Not dated so unsure how long that's been there.

Nice to hear about the BJ Marine getting a permanent office planning notice. But yeah, girlfriend said the homes are on top of each other and I agree. Horrible.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement