Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

News and views on Greystones harbour and marina [SEE MODERATOR WARNING POST 1187]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Fiachra2

GUBOH may make declarations that they don't accept small measures doesn't mean Sispar takes any notice of them

The same was said a couple of months ago. However a campaign on facebook plus petitions and banners has resulted in them opening part of the harbour. So we have every reason to keep going. events to date lead us to believe we will get a result.

noital wrote: »
    I have been watching the thread for months! As a former member of the sailing club and rowing club, im glad to see that there is some movement at last with the harbour. Granted, some people feel its not enough but personally I think its a start, more pressure can be put on the developers at a later stage. When the medical center is up then is the time to re-visit the issue of further opening up more space. But at last we have some increased access.

Your optimism is understandable and I agree its great to have some hoardings gone however there are three problems:

As far as Sispar are concerned, this is not a start it is a finish. Having completed the Medical centre they intended to open up a small green area beside it then fence off the rest of the site plus 60% of the harbour itself and leave it like that. It has been put to them that it might be fenced off for 10 years and their attitude was "its our land and we will do what we like with it"

For those of us who are actually doing the pressurising we are conscious that life is short and we dont really want to be doing this in a years time or more. We would like to strike a deal now and wrap up the campaign.

The medical center may not get built. The have stated that the "hope" to start in September. With the climate as it is I wouldnt be holding my breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Nice pictures John

By the way this is now the most viewed thread in the Greystones section.That tells us something about how important the harbour is to the community and how critical it is that we get it right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭F3

Osvaldoc wrote: »
    Work on the development started early in 2008 so it is now about 22 months in progress. Based on the planned progress in this promotional video the project is substantially behind schedule.

I find this clip amusing....

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭F3

pixbyjohn wrote: »

John,

Your photographs have been consistently superb, have you considered putting together a book when it's finished, of the chronological journey to include newspaper cuttings, threads from board and GuBoH comments, GREYSTONES guide comments? Durrutii would be a good partner in this regard.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Blanchflower

F3 wrote: »
    I find this clip amusing....

But I bet the shareholders of Sisks and Park Developments are not laughing anymore at this clip.

Based on the work now being done to remove some of the hoardings it looks as if Sispar are trying to limit the extent of their losses considering the quality of the materials they are using. Something is better than nothing but bearing in mind that we will be looking at whatever is done now for a long time we need to get it finished to an acceptable standard quality wise. Civic pride of Greystones demands that this is so.

At this stage Sispar also need to give to the people of Greystones the promised public areas and facilities. The promised and contracted club houses should be built now before they start building the proposed health centre and appartments. Also the green area at the north of the site should be provided to us now. Our public representatives should be insisting on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Damo9090 wrote: »
    After reviving many PM's regarding this thread and having a discussion with my fellow moderator we have decided to reopen this thread under strict conditions. As all previous warnings that myself and mango salsa issued have been ignored i have outlined below some points that will help this thread flow.

• Any personal abuse of fellow posters or anyone will incur a months ban.
    • Any off topic posts will be removed and the offender will receive an infraction.
    • If you want to rant about a Councillor start a new thread as this is not the place.
    • Read the forum charter before you post as it will help avoid moderator attention.
    Any further information required please pm mango salsa or myself and we will be glad to help out.

This is the final warning, if locked again it will not reopen and no new threads will be allowed.
    Ive removed another off topic post. I will discuss with Damo9090 but if posters cannot heed the warning above this thread will have to be locked permanently.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Ive removed another off topic post. I will discuss with Damo9090 but if posters cannot heed the warning above this thread will have to be locked permanently.

Folks
    Many people feel angry about what has happened in the harbour and about the comments made by some people involved in the issue.
    Equally people may feel that they are entitled to vent their anger here. However the moderators of these threads are bound by the laws of libel and must adhere to certain rules. They cannot allow abusive posts

IF YOUR COMMENTS CAUSE THE THREAD TO BE SHUT DOWN YOU WILL HAVE SCORED A MAJOR OWN GOAL. THOSE YOU SEEK TO OPPOSE WILL BE DELIGHTED AT THE OUTCOME AND WILL BE LAUGHING AT YOU.

So I suggest reading the rules and taking five minutes and a few deep breaths before posting.

(Trust me it works. I do it all the time!)

6006418010_8b7eb80fec_z.jpg
    DSC_7001 by pixbyjohn, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 14,933 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

6006418010_8b7eb80fec_z.jpg
    DSC_7001 by pixbyjohn, on Flickr

what is that diving-board type construction for, anyone know?

loyatemu wrote: »

Yes , it is for a crane to lift boats in and out of the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Christ, I saw that and wasn't thinking right at all, didnt see the date...was very happy for about 1/4 of a second.

loyatemu wrote: »

Its doing a great job as a diving board though!

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭vinpaul

Have been watching new fencing being erected along south pier. What is the purpose of this fencing?. It won't keep those who wish to climb onto pier from doing so. Is this just to prevent the public having access to pier end. Seems a pity as this could be a glorious place to sit and look out to sea and back to shore.

The area to be fenced off is the whole lower deck from the round bit back to the point where the slip on that wall begins. You will be able to access the round bit along the top of the wall which has steps leading up to it. This is fine provided you dont have small kids/a buggy/are elderly/in a wheelchair etc.

The argument is that the original plan envisages a Coastguard station and a boat repair yard in the are to be fenced off and the Council argue that if they open areas to the public (that would be the public they are supposed to be working for) then they wont be able to take the area back. The argument has two major flaws:
    They had no problem taking over the whole harbout for 3.5years. All they had to do was put up a fence when it was needed.
    There is no sign of the coastguard station and no chance of a boatyard (especially as there are no moorings and no boats). It is a bit rich to fence off an area for something that patently is not going to happen for a long time.

What people dont realise is that most of the area at the back of the harbour will also be fenced off. There will be a car park around the back of the main slip but much of the rest of the space will be fenced off for boat club pens. The area where the clubhouses were to be built will also be fenced off for the same reason as above. (And the same arguments apply).

The actual public area -apart from the beach- will be quite small.

On the plus side GUBOH have brought this matter up with Councillors and there seems to be some agreement what is being proposed is not acceptable.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Greystoned

So, can people walk out along the piers at the moment (without breaking through fences...)? I'll be back for a visit in a week and looking forward to seeing the "progress"!

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭xshayx

Week 1 of development.
    2232857755_ee49d9d45c_b.jpg
    What is it now Week 168? Must see if I can get back to same spot and do another

Greystoned wrote: »
    So, can people walk out along the piers at the moment (without breaking through fences...)? I'll be back for a visit in a week and looking forward to seeing the "progress"!
    Not yet

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mjmorrisroe

It's a disgrace, broken promises...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 274 ✭✭The Durutti Column

xshayx wrote: »
    Week 1 of development.
    2232857755_ee49d9d45c_b.jpg
    What is it now Week 168? Must see if I can get back to same spot and do another

It's Month 45 now (and a bit), I think, so Week 195 or 196. (3 years 9 months & no end in sight...)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 274 ✭✭The Durutti Column

This is the stage it is supposed to be at by now:

picture.php?albumid=1806&pictureid=10279

This is a wide view of how it should be now:
    picture.php?albumid=1806&pictureid=10281
    Both are stills from Sispar video

So — right now we have
    • no marina — inner basin blocked off
    • no clubhouses — are not part of current works
    • no public plaza — instead we will have a huge car park and a small 'green space'
    • retention of hoardings in front of houses on Beach Road
    • fenced off boat maintenance yard, even though there are no boats, no moorings for boats, and no maintenance company
    • no public park to north
    • huge desolate area not to be built on for years

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Thanks John.

I must take a walk down there soon as we have access now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Honestly!

Damo9090 wrote: »
    Thanks John.

I must take a walk down there soon as we have access now.

I see thatand was down there on Sunday but it's access to the slipway only as far as I could see! I'm appalled that this is being promoted as being open!

It looks better as the hoarding is down but replaced by metal fencing. It is totally non-functional yet and the metal fencing throughtout looks like it will ensure that it will be like that for a long time to come.

The last thing the developers want is for residents to have usage of the harbour as is and get used to it, claiming a type of squatters rights, so it will be like bleeding a stone to get any progress. GUBOH know this I am sure but fair play to them in securing the limited movement so far.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement