Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

News and views on Greystones harbour and marina [SEE MODERATOR WARNING POST 1187]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭dudmis

Buzkashi wrote: »
    GUBOH is just cosying up to the Labour mayor, Tom Fortune, and the FG/Lab coalition. Sellouts like all the rest. I heard a rumour some of them want to stand in local election in 2014, which would explain a lot.

While not directly involved in the GUBOH, I have taken an interest in the past few months in what was happening at the harbour.

I, for one, am very impressed at the amount that a few local people have achieved regarding the harbour. It was always going to a difficult fight and the harbour is alot more advanced now than it would ever had been had GUBOH not gotten involved. I think it is unfair to criticize their efforts as there would not be many people that would be prepared to give up that much of their time/energy for such a cause.

Also, if any of them did wish to run in the elections, I would be more than happy to consider them. I would prefer to have the council populated with community minded people, rather than polictical hacks that have nothing more in their sights than the national political stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,445 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Buzkashi wrote: »
    GUBOH is just cosying up to the Labour mayor, Tom Fortune, and the FG/Lab coalition.
    In all fairness, relations with the Mayor could only have gone one way from the last fella, and the constant spats didn't do the long term aim any good anyway imo. Maybe it's a bit of realism from GUBOH on what's achievable, and a bit of realism from the Mayor's office on whats acceptable, rather than a "sell out".

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Langerland

Is Cllr Hayden giving out about the GUBOH protest banners?!

http://www.greystonesguide.com/articles/article/7610746/159926.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭F3

Actually I am impressed too, I'm a grumpy old man at the best of times and cynical about most things, but I cannot see any reason why any of these GUBOH heads would want to tackle this issue other than for real community reasons.

They appear to have been picked on by 1. The old Mayor, 2. most of the TC's who just gave up and accepted a ghost harbour 3. Sispar 4. Sean Quirke of WCC 5. the media 6. People wanting to tag them with GPDA

That being said, have they not got now what they wanted ???

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 274 ✭✭The Durutti Column

F3 wrote: »
    Actually I am impressed too, I'm a grumpy old man at the best of times and cynical about most things, but I cannot see any reason why any of these GUBOH heads would want to tackle this issue other than for real community reasons.

They appear to have been picked on by 1. The old Mayor, 2. most of the TC's who just gave up and accepted a ghost harbour 3. Sispar 4. Sean Quirke of WCC 5. the media 6. People wanting to tag them with GPDA

That being said, have they not got now what they wanted ???

Well, I was just asking the question, maybe a bit sharpish, in my post. I wouldn't agree with Buzkashi, who seems to be somewhat extreme. Miller is OK and he does a good job. Talking sh1te probably makes him gag.

F3 probably has it about right.

Everybody is a bit hypnotised by the success of the fireworks night, and grateful for any crumb from Sispar — which I admit only GUBOH's presence gave us. The harbour is about to open, there are boat pens, there will be a small public area — so everyone thinks, that's OK then.

I guess GUBOH is trying to reflect this without taking the pressure off Sispar and WCC, so no, it's not selling out, Buzkashi, it's tactics. Or did you think they are a kind of mint?

The problem for GUBOH is that facing all radicals. Easy to demand and maybe get when nothing is on offer, but your support melts when something, however basic, is offered. Then you have to get political and work within the system to worm more stuff, bit by bit, out of the opposition. Tough furrow to plough.

The politicians — with a couple of exceptions — will trumpet every concession by Sispar as The Second Coming, because they just want it all to go away, get back to their pre-controversy easy life, collect their expenses and remunerations, and head off to twinning ceremonies (in Holyhead?). Which makes it difficult for GUBOH to keep them onside and pressuring Sispar.

In that case, maybe GUBOH should start preparing now for the local elections in 2014. Even if I find the tone of their latest pronouncements sickly, I'd vote for them, like Dudmis. In fact, I think they'd sweep the boards if there's no medical centre, no clubhouses, no public plaza, no public park, no access to the north pier, etc etc.

It's not that far off, in political terms, and Sispar will probably be no more by then, so who will be developing the harbour site then? Nobody? The Kuwaiti Investment Agency? A hedge fund? George Soros?

<snip>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

It was said that NAMA will make a decision on Greystones Harbour at a meeting at the end of September. Does anyone know if this took place ?

Jimjay wrote: »
    It was said that NAMA will make a decision on Greystones Harbour at a meeting at the end of September. Does anyone know if this took place ?

Lots of things have been said, Jimjay.

Originally, that the harbour and most of the residential development would be FINISHED by now. :confused:

That the south harbour would be open by 15 July — my calendar says it's 30 Sept today, and still there's no date for this.

That construction of the Med Centre would begin by mid-September. :eek:

That pigs would fly.

Langerland wrote: »
    Is Cllr Hayden giving out about the GUBOH protest banners?!

http://www.greystonesguide.com/articles/article/7610746/159926.htm

Yes, got it in one. The very man. Constitutes the best argument I know for GUBOH contesting the next local elections.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Blanchflower

Yes, got it in one. The very man. Constitutes the best argument I know for GUBOH contesting the next local elections.

There are plenty of arguments for GUBOH to contest the next local elections. Ostensibly the so called traditional democratic organisations (ie the political parties) have failed the people of Greystones and are falling way short of fulfilling the principles of the parliamentary democracy in their shoddy and lack lustre practices especially in their whole attitude towards the clandistine Greystones harbour Public Private Partnership development. This is evidenced by the fact that the integrity of local government is now being so widely discussed on this and other forums.

“… a State which dwarfs its men, in order that they may be more docile instruments in its hands, even for beneficial purposes – will find that with small men no great things can easily be accomplished.”
    John Stuart Mill On Liberty

Power to the People and GUBOH!!! ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21 Buzkashi

There are plenty of arguments for GUBOH to contest the next local elections. Ostensibly the so called traditional democratic organisations (ie the political parties) have failed the people of Greystones and are falling way short of fulfilling the principles of the parliamentary democracy in their shoddy and lack lustre practices especially in their whole attitude towards the clandistine Greystones harbour Public Private Partnership development. This is evidenced by the fact that the integrity of local government is now being so widely discussed on this and other forums.
    Power to the People and GUBOH!!! ;)

If that's true, why is GUBOh being so pally all of a sudden with these types? GUBOH always said if they hadn't started their campaign nothing would have happened. A short length of haording would have come down and we could view a derelict building site from Cliff Road.

Now there are boat pens, a car park, what looks like a path to the top of the south pier, and two small earth patches for dog walkers, and much more hoarding gone. But I can't understand why GUBOH is getting so pally with the failed politicians, when pressing hard with or without them, or against them in the case of three of them, is what has got the results so far.

That tactic will only encourage resistance by Sispar and WCC to doing anything further to improve this ugly mess.

I only hope that what Miller said in the press release is true, and that GUBOH is not being sold a pup. Or worse, knows it's a pup but is going to try and sell it?

I know, I'm a cynic, but to start with the worst case often helps avoid it happening.

And I agree, Blanchflower, they should stand in the local elections. It would make things clear at last.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Discussion on the 2014 local elections is a separate issue that should be taken to the relevant thread

www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=73890439

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Fiachra2

There has been a bit more progress in the last two days.

The ugly portacabin opposite the Beach house has been removed and the hoardings have been taken down up to the sailing club.
    The former is a big improvement. The latter is probably a bit questionable as we now have a clear view of the mess of weeds, building materials and equipment which were left lying behind the hoarding. The next step is to pursuade Sispar to landscape it.
    Slow progress but at least we are going the right direction.

Fiachra2 wrote: »
    There has been a bit more progress in the last two days.

The ugly portacabin opposite the Beach house has been removed and the hoardings have been taken down up to the sailing club.
    The former is a big improvement. The latter is probably a bit questionable as we now have a clear view of the mess of weeds, building materials and equipment which were left lying behind the hoarding. The next step is to pursuade Sispar to landscape it.
    Slow progress but at least we are going the right direction.

All true, F2, but the big point is, the hoardings are gone, which is a big relief to residents of the Beach Road, and that awful, decaying portacabin is gone too.

Of course you're right that it's a mess and Sispar will have to landscape it. I think even they must know that.

Didn't GUBOH propose that the fence line from right smack in front of the Beach House to the slipway should have been pushed back to start from the rear of Joe Sweeney's? what Sispar should do right away is accept this, move the fence back and take the last bit of hoarding off it, landscape the exposed mess and add it to the tiny patch of grass they have planted, with seating or picnic tables. We used to have seats down by the harbour. So far I don't see a single one

THE BIG QUESTION NOW IS:
    WHEN IS THE BLOODY HARBOUR GOING TO OPEN TO THE PUBLIC?????

THE BIG QUESTION NOW IS:
    WHEN IS THE BLOODY HARBOUR GOING TO OPEN TO THE PUBLIC?????

Next week I think, I asked one of the labourers this morning he said that they had been instructed to clear up the area but surprisingly he said the solid hoarding e/s of the site gates will remain! Anyway I heard that Sispar said the Medical Centre is not going ahead if its not started by December. Grainne McLaughlin [TC] asked and was told by Sispar that should the PCC not go ahead that the area left of the carpark as far a sailing club will be landscaped for public amenity so I am sure all the hoarding and fencing will be removed entirely.

Well done Grainne, I think she is great

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Alan_P

Next week I think, I asked one of the labourers this morning he said that they had been instructed to clear up the area but surprisingly he said the solid hoarding e/s of the site gates will remain! Anyway I heard that Sispar said the Medical Centre is not going ahead if its not started by December. Grainne McLaughlin [TC] asked and was told by Sispar that should the PCC not go ahead that the area left of the carpark as far a sailing club will be landscaped for public amenity so I am sure all the hoarding and fencing will be removed entirely.

What's the PCC ?

Alan_P wrote: »
    What's the PCC ?

"Primary Care Centre" Alan, the world is a mass of acronyms to keep the public out of the loop!

Grainne who?

A mate told me that GUBOH asked the same thing at the Harbiour Users or the Harbour Liaison meeting — so many committees, so many acronyms — and that Sispar gave the same answer there.

Basically, that similar enterprises are failing around the country and if they don't have funding within a couple of months it won't happen at all. Plus, yes, the landscaping bit too, and fixing the horrendous approach from the Cliff Walk.

Anyhow, isn't all this what GUBOH had in their press release weeks ago? Don't tell me they had it right?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=74605736&postcount=924

Quote:
    Originally Posted by F3
    Next week I think, I asked one of the labourers
    this morning he said that they had been
    instructed to clear up the area but surprisingly
    he said the solid hoarding e/s of the site gates
    will remain! Anyway I heard that Sispar said the
    Medical Centre is not going ahead if its not
    started by December. Grainne McLaughlin [TC]
    asked and was told by Sispar that should the
    PCC not go ahead that the area left of the
    carpark as far a sailing club will be
    landscaped for public amenity so I am sure
    all the hoarding and fencing will be removed
    entirely.
    Grainne who?
    A mate told me that GUBOH asked the same
    thing at the Harbiour Users or the Harbour
    Liaison meeting — so many committees, so
    many acronyms — and that Sispar gave the
    same answer there .
    Basically, that similar enterprises are failing
    around the country and if they don' t have
    funding within a couple of months it won't
    happen at all. Plus, yes, the landscaping bit
    too, and fixing the horrendous approach
    from the Cliff Walk.
    Anyhow, isn't all this what GUBOH had in their
    press release weeks ago? Don' t tell me they
    had it right?
    http:/ /www.boards .ie/vbulletin /
    showp... &postcount=924

Ok I think I get it; I think I get it - sispar told your friend and GUBOH and Cllr Grainne Mcloughlin the same thing. And you told us weeks ago that's what GUBOH were saying.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Grainne McLaughlin? I might have her surname wrong but she is a local elected councilor organizes the festival etc, did the firework thing a couple of weeks ago, nice girl.

Grainne McLaughlin? I might have her surname wrong but she is a local elected councilor organizes the festival etc, did the firework thing a couple of weeks ago, nice girl.

She's a member of Greystones Town Council and Wicklow County Council. She was coopted by Fine Gael to replace Simon Harris on both.

Terry Pratchet

She's a member of Greystones Town Council and Wicklow County Council. She was coopted by Fine Gael to replace Simon Harris on both.

That's her, I didn't know she was on WCC as well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

she is a local elected councilor
    She was coopted by Fine Gael to replace Simon Harris

Ah, to be "co-opted"..... so much less hassle than being elected.
    No wonder nobody can remember voting for her.

That's her, I didn't know she was on WCC as well?

www.wicklow.ie/Apps/WicklowBeta/Members/ElectedMembers09.aspx

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

recedite wrote: »
    Ah, to be "co-opted"..... so much less hassle than being elected.
    No wonder nobody can remember voting for her.

She's done more than most for the community over the last 20 years.

She's very much about getting stuck in and getting her hands dirty.

I'm pretty sure she has the full support of everyone who know's her and beyond.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

What is with that bloody awful bench near the anchor?
    It looks like they had some spare railing left and fettled a bench together.
    It's also so cold to sit on and I can imagine sticking to it in the winter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

I can't wait for the harbour to open so we can all get back to completely ignoring it as an amenity and moaning about the lack of pubs... ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement