Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

News and views on Greystones harbour and marina [SEE MODERATOR WARNING POST 1187]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭F3

darter wrote: »
    Walked past the harbour today. Back to sweet fa happening. Seems to me that the finished parts could be opened up right-bloody-now for the public to access. No idea why we're not permitted to walk along the sea wall of the south side of the harbour.

It's a case of greasing the squeaky wheel - when GUBOH is vocal and active, things happen, when not, then not.

Need another push.

<<<snip>>>

I agree, GUBOH do make great progress when they get annoyed, maybe someone should prod them with a stick or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Tiradon

Fiachra2 wrote: »
    Heres an interesting take on the situation by one local councillor

http://www.greystonesguide.com/articles/article/6961207/160716.htm

Of particular interest is the last sentence of the last slide. Quote:

"Delays happen. Dart campaign to 22 years."

This project has been going for 4 years. Can we infer that in the view of this councillor it wont be unreasonable if it takes another 18 years to finish?

I must say, what a quote. I'm going to use that next time I'm delayed getting to work. Therein lies an attitude problem that needs to be corrected in this country. "Delays happen". There seems to be a complete inability to take on large scale projects and a willingness to accept delays as par for the course. From roadworks on the M50 for 200 years to some trucks not fitting into the Port Tunnel to not being able to run a simple one line in, one line out train service on-time. The main issue the residents of Greystones had with the whole harbour development from the outset was its scale and those issues have been vindicated.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Blanchflower

Fiachra2 wrote: »
    Heres an interesting take on the situation by one local councillor

http://www.greystonesguide.com/articles/article/6961207/160716.htm

Of particular interest is the last sentence of the last slide. Quote:

"Delays happen. Dart campaign to 22 years."

This project has been going for 4 years. Can we infer that in the view of this councillor it wont be unreasonable if it takes another 18 years to finish?

It would indeed be ironic if the "project" is eventually completed after 22 years just near the end of the predicted useful life of the concrete breakwaters!:eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 274 ✭✭The Durutti Column

Dart campaign took 22 years
    Indeed. Well, this particular councillor is "disappointed" that the south harbour is not yet open, despite Sispar's own date of 15 September last (which he himself embarrassingly touted about the place).
    Delays happen.
    Quite!

Meanwhile, F3, Guboh is getting angry again.

A blog post by the esteemed Mr Miller retails how the last Town Council meeting went ape**** because WCC's director of services, Sean Quirke, "spat in their eye" by failing to attend the meeting, failing to submit a report on developments at the harbour, and — wait for it! — telling the Mayor that he was refusing the good councillors' request at their previous meeting for a Harbour Liaison Committee meeting in October because "there is no construction going on at present".

The council passed a motion repeating their demand and also agreed that if this Mr Quirke refuses again, the council will convene the meeting itself.

Phew!

http://greystonesharbour.org/county-official-riles-councillors-mayor-will

Indeed. Well, this particular councillor is "disappointed" that the south harbour is not yet open, despite Sispar's own date of 15 September last (which he himself embarrassingly touted about the place).

Quite!

Meanwhile, F3, Guboh is getting angry again.

A blog post by the esteemed Mr Miller retails how the last Town Council meeting went ape**** because WCC's director of services, Sean Quirke, "spat in their eye" by failing to attend the meeting, failing to submit a report on developments at the harbour, and — wait for it! — telling the Mayor that he was refusing the good councillors' request at their previous meeting for a Harbour Liaison Committee meeting in October because "there is no construction going on at present".

The council passed a motion repeating their demand and also agreed that if this Mr Quirke refuses again, the council will convene the meeting itself.

Phew!

http://greystonesharbour.org/county-official-riles-councillors-mayor-will

Hey DC, good to see you back! [I got snipped but not barred in my last blog talking about such matters in a rather blunt manner] I've just read the eloquent piece of investigative journalism from Basil Miller, this is fantastic to see the town of Greystones united as a residents and public officials! let the public servants be accountable for their failings! Enough is enough

• Advertisement

ps Good for GUBOH ! I take my hat off to those guys, well well done

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 274 ✭✭The Durutti Column

Mullie wrote: »
    Does anyone else think the harbour looks like a POW camp?

Lots of people do....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Word is that the harbour will be open to the public from mid morning tomorrow Saturday 5th. November 2011.
    Great news

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭darter

Posted on facebook GUBOH page at 18:10:

Gráinne Mc Loughlin
    THE HARBOUR IN GREYSTONES IS OPENING TO THE PUBLIC FROM MID-MORNING TOMORROW.
    I have just heard from Wicklow County Council that following completion of safety and insurance arrangements, the harbour will be open to the public from mid-morning tomorrow 5th November. What great news.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Is it open? Some pictures have made it onto Facebook already.

• Advertisement

6315475766_0ae935cfc9_z.jpg
    DSC_9589 (Large) by pixbyjohn, on Flickr
    South Pier this afternoon

6314959979_7be8dfed58_z.jpg
    DSC_9591 (Large) by pixbyjohn, on Flickr

6314959327_c8d7924391_z.jpg
    DSC_9587 (Large) by pixbyjohn, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

6316437266_758a68da69_z.jpg
    Harbour Lights! by JayGriffin, on Flickr

pixbyjohn wrote: »

The harbour beach looks very miserable and could do with nourishment. This used to be a fine beach with lots of interesting rounded stones. Sispar were supposed to store these stones and return them to the harbour.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Alan_P

The harbour beach looks very miserable and could do with nourishment. This used to be a fine beach with lots of interesting rounded stones. Sispar were supposed to store these stones and return them to the harbour.
    I thought that too. But as my wife pointed out, the sea will sort out a beach soon enough in it's own way.

My general thoughts on the harbour:- it's grotesquely oversized. It has some surreal moments :- steps leading to permanent fencing. There are large signs up indicating certain parts are for "Club Members Only". My immediate reaction to those is to join one of these clubs, just so I can leave those parts permanently open.(These clubs, so far as I know, didn't contribute a single Euro more to this development than I did).

Having said all that, it was very good to be able to look at Bray Head from the end of Greystones pier again. Thank, you, GUBOH people.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭darter

Alan_P wrote: »
    These clubs, so far as I know, didn't contribute a single Euro more to this development than I did.

EXACTLY!!!

Yet these "clubs", especially our previous mayor, insist that the harbour is for its users - as in those who go out in boats (sail and motor), kayaks, etc.

This is akin to saying that art galleries are for artists!

The use of the harbour by the general public outstrips that of the narrowly-defined "users" by an order of magnitude. Yet "we" were being totally ignored. At last through GUBOH our voices are being heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Fiachra2

darter wrote: »
    . Yet "we" were being totally ignored. At last through GUBOH our voices are being heard.

And will continue to be. We have our sights on that fencing!!

Believe it or not the big section fenced off at the end of the pier is intended for a boat repair yard. Wicklow County Council would have us believe that there is a boat builder crazy enough (and supported by an equally deranged insurance company) to locate his business there. Naturally the names of the "interested parties" remain undisclosed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

There are large signs up indicating certain parts are for "Club Members Only".

any mention of which clubs or perhaps even a type of club?? The harbour is frequented by The Greystones Photography Club with evidence of the photos on here. And of course there's an angling/fishing club (don't know the official name). So for the moment there's three types of clubs directly and indirectly that have an interest in the harbour!:pac: Any other clubs that you could think of?

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Advertisement

astrofluff wrote: »
    any mention of which clubs or perhaps even a type of club?? The harbour is frequented by The Greystones Photography Club with evidence of the photos on here. And of course there's an angling/fishing club (don't know the official name). So for the moment there's three types of clubs directly and indirectly that have an interest in the harbour!:pac: Any other clubs that you could think of?

6318031155_6a32f2cd45_z.jpg
    Harbour Lights (3) by JayGriffin, on Flickr

Yep, i was there with Graham last night and the person on my pic standing further round the steps with a tripod (towards the carpark) is pixbyjohn who along with yourself is a member of the greystones camera club. I think we should defo ask for a pen. At least we would have somewhere to store pixbyjohn so we can keep an eye on him ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

astrofluff wrote: »
    Any other clubs that you could think of?

Well, there's the Pier-Diving Club, The Harbour Swimming Club, The Waterfront Promenadiers Walking Club.......

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Honestly!

recedite wrote: »
    Well, there's the Pier-Diving Club, The Harbour Swimming Club, The Waterfront Promenadiers Walking Club.......

Talks are ongoing directly between GUBOH and the developer and, despite objections from THE Councillors (AKA The Founding Fathers), it looks like The Stone Skimmers Club will also be catered for.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,933 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I thought that too. But as my wife pointed out, the sea will sort out a beach soon enough in it's own way.

not if the harbour walls are doing their job - the old beach was a lot more exposed to waves and the tide.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭thepassanger

will you help me organise something for Christmas day in the Greystones Harbour? the easiest thing to call it now is a STREETPARTY, and we would be promoting the people of greystones to take ownership over the harbour. (my parents were cycling around today and spent some time sitting in the harbour where there were 3 guys playing guitar. the security guard ended up coming over and telling the 3 guys that they couldnt play guitar here and they had to leave)
    this really pissed me off when i heard it because we used to have a Public Harbour, where, now we have a semi-private harbour that we have no ownership over.

the idea is to get all/most of the people who take part in the christmas day swim to stroll to the harbour for some Mould Wine and pies/ cakes as a sort of Christmas Day Community Gathering that has a purpose.
    HELP ME!
    .. :D
    "i get to check internet a few times a week but dont expect a reply within a few hours! :) "

Great idea. I'm in. (Observing the swim with a glass of mulled wine in hand) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Nice idea thepassenger, but again there's gonna be a hell of a lot of bureaucracy before any of that can happen. Shame about the guitarists being asked to leave - I missed them having being down there today.

If it does get a go ahead, I might take a miss on the mould wine.:o

What I did like was the amount of access permitted this weekend. There is obviously more to be done on the north section (a heck of a lot), along with finishing sections of the south pier and ramps/cranes (bit and peices that need doing and then it can be fully accessed).

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

I was on the harbour today and the icecream man was told to leave by Councillor Hayden. The kids were very dissapointed. There are no signs up to prohibit the selling of icecream on the harbour so I don't know why the icecream man was banished. As far as I know there are still no bye laws for the harbour. It seems that some people are under the mistaken belief that this is not a public harbour.

I was on the harbour today and the icecream man was told to leave by Councillor Hayden. The kids were very dissapointed. There are no signs up to prohibit the selling of icecream on the harbour so I don't know why the icecream man was banished. As far as I know there are still no bye laws for the harbour. It seems that some people are under the mistaken belief that this is not a public harbour.

Thats such a shame. The harbour should be a hub for the community. the more buskers, ice-cream vans etc the better as far as I'm concerned. put some benches in too. people should be able to sit on the beach or around the harbour and enjoy themselves with local music and a cone.

Also what authority does a councilor have to move someone on? not just from the harbour but from anywhere even if they are not meant to be there?

• Advertisement

The public allowed onto the pier?
    Wandering around in the sunshine enjoying themselves?

scrooge.jpg
    there were 3 guys playing guitar. the security guard ended up coming over and telling the 3 guys that they couldnt play guitar here and they had to leave
    the icecream man was told to leave by Councillor Hayden. The kids were very dissapointed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement